Photo

Can we have a separate NES section here at AA?

95 replies to this topic

#26 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,540 posts

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 1:20 AM

Who knows, perhaps an NES section might not be much more active than the Genesis section. Who knows, but it's the members here who make it a great place to discuss pretty much all retro systems. And for the most part, I think my NES posts put into the General section seem outta place.

As far as a Gameboy section, SNES section...I don't see why not but I'm just thinking there's a lot of NES fans here who are also fans of Atari (as I am, and still am). It will bring more traffic to the site. Again, it's the numbers of members here who like talking NES stuff, and the members here are very knowledgeable, so....yeah, I'm just wondering how to proceed with the request.

Maybe set-up a poll, something like that?

#27 o.pwuaioc OFFLINE  

o.pwuaioc

Moonsweeper

• 428 posts

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 1:36 AM

As an outsider looking in, the sheer amount of traffic here is a bit daunting, and the sub-forums a tangled mess. Why not just a general non-Atari retro game subforum?

#28 Pong OFFLINE  

Pong

Chopper Commander

• 172 posts

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:58 AM

As an outsider looking in, the sheer amount of traffic here is a bit daunting, and the sub-forums a tangled mess. Why not just a general non-Atari retro game subforum?

Let's try naming all the other consoles, there's probably 20 of them, from the Odyssey to the N64, from the CD-i to the Intellivision.

#29 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 6,632 posts

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 8:51 AM

Why not just a general non-Atari retro game subforum?

I think that's what "Classic Gaming General" is intended to be.

#30 cimerians OFFLINE  

cimerians

Quadrunner

• 7,198 posts

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 8:56 AM

No this is ATARI AGE.

:)

#31 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• 2,863 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 9:00 AM

... Next you'll be telling us NES fans that we need to use a seperate drinking fountain. :(

#32 cimerians OFFLINE  

cimerians

Quadrunner

• 7,198 posts

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 9:07 AM

Actually it would be cool to expand a little bit but I would stick it in the Sub-forums sections like the Coleco, Sega etc.

Since Sega has a spot you have to give one to the Atari killer (NES) and maybe the Playstation . :P

#33 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,071 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 10:34 AM

I don't see the need; the Genesis subforum is pretty bare. Then again, why have an NES high score forum without a discussion forum?

#34 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,540 posts

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 10:39 AM

I really don't think adding an NES specific forum would detract from things. There are a bunch of subforums, and yes, it can seem like a bit much but for a system as popular as the NES (and the amount of people here who enjoy it and know a lot about it) it seems like a logical thing to do...however, you never know, maybe once it's there, people might not use it! But I don't think that'll happen.

Just think of all the stuff you could in there...manuals, trades n' stuff, rants about what's better than what, history articles, youtube links, home projects.

Also, I get the vibe from some folks that the Atari notstalgia group is slowly being replaced by a generation who grew up on the NES...whiIe I don't agree that the VCS fans are dying out (because the people here keep it going and have just as much love as ever), those NES fans will see that AA is the place to be to discuss retro games of all kinds, and that there's LOTS of discussion here and help as well. I dunno, I just don't get that vibe from other NES retro sites.

AA has always been one-stop shopping for me...catering to an NES crowd is a good thing, I believe.

Taking it slowly seems the best route. If the NES section does well, then maybe consider doing a Nintendo forum with subgroups (SNES, Gameboy).

The Classic General section is great, don't get me wrong, it's just that even without the NES posts in there, there's always going to be enough content with other topics.

...now, what to do next? "NES 2012: STOP AT NOTHING" :-D

#35 SlowCoder OFFLINE  

SlowCoder

River Patroller

• 3,686 posts

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 12:53 PM

I think Al would have to answer this one, but I don't know why a specific Genesis sub-forum was started, when all of the other manufacturers were left out. I haven't seen that Genesis is talked about any more than any other consoles. Al?

I still think if Al adds more sub-forums he should keep them generalized to the manufacturer, rather than to a particular console.

That would be the Classic Gaming forum. General topic non-Atari chatter.

Then, inside that it is broken down into other retro consoles of the same general generation. I think it's a pretty logical layout. No tangled mess that I perceive.

Edited by SlowCoder, Mon Apr 9, 2012 12:56 PM.

#36 o.pwuaioc OFFLINE  

o.pwuaioc

Moonsweeper

• 428 posts

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 2:26 PM

Then, inside that it is broken down into other retro consoles of the same general generation. I think it's a pretty logical layout. No tangled mess that I perceive.

Well, under Classic gaming there is the NES high score club, and under High Scores club there is the NES high score club... That's what I was referring to.

#37 The Usotsuki OFFLINE  

The Usotsuki

Dragonstomper

• 936 posts
  • Also called "Licca"

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 4:07 PM

Might be a symlink.

#38 snstay OFFLINE  

snstay

Moonsweeper

• 302 posts
  • "I know what willis is talkin about"

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 4:53 PM

Yes ,Yes, nes

Chant it people! :D

Scott

#39 onlysublime OFFLINE  

onlysublime

Stargunner

• 1,309 posts

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 5:10 PM

There are plenty of websites to visit. If you don't like AtariAge's design, you have plenty of choices.

#40 o.pwuaioc OFFLINE  

o.pwuaioc

Moonsweeper

• 428 posts

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 6:26 PM

There are plenty of websites to visit. If you don't like AtariAge's design, you have plenty of choices.

No need to be a rude prick about it. There's nothing wrong with offering opinions and advice.

#41 PeculiarSatyr OFFLINE  

PeculiarSatyr

Chopper Commander

• 160 posts

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 6:42 PM

This guy has the GYST of it. This forum needs trimmed down.

I say one forum. A big BOLDED ATARI. Nothing else, nothing more.

#42 snstay OFFLINE  

snstay

Moonsweeper

• 302 posts
  • "I know what willis is talkin about"

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:03 PM

No need to be a rude prick about it. There's nothing wrong with offering opinions and advice.

whoa, yikes

#43 asponge OFFLINE  

asponge

Chopper Commander

• 206 posts

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 9:42 PM

Well, under Classic gaming there is the NES high score club, and under High Scores club there is the NES high score club... That's what I was referring to.

I understand what you're getting at, but both links refer to the same forum. The High Scores Club section just aggregates all of the HSCs under one topic. That makes sense to me.

#44 o.pwuaioc OFFLINE  

o.pwuaioc

Moonsweeper

• 428 posts

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012 11:20 PM

I understand what you're getting at, but both links refer to the same forum. The High Scores Club section just aggregates all of the HSCs under one topic. That makes sense to me.

Oh, yeah, it makes sense to me now, but I was only referring to it being daunting...I guess I should have specified "to a new person". Or at least it was to me. I think any more non-Atari sub-forums would just add to that confusion.

Just my 2c.

#45 Cybergoth OFFLINE  

Cybergoth

Quadrunner

• 8,550 posts
  • This is Sparta!

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:53 AM

I agree that a NES specific subforum would be great.

#46 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,540 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:04 AM

Today is another day where there isn't an NES subforum, so I decided to bump this thread! ;-)

#47 revolutionika OFFLINE  

revolutionika

Quadrunner

• 9,476 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:39 AM

If you guys want an NES forum, you will probably have to bribe and beg someone....we have an Intellivision section dont we? ;)

#48 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 5,605 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:45 AM

Just about every time someone mentions Nintendo Age, there is mention of how "less mature" the NA forums are. I wouldn't want this "lessened maturity" to spill over into AtariAge, which is likely to happen if some NA members who are fed up with the NA forums were to migrate to this proposed NES sub-forum on AA.

So for the sake of the collective sanity of the AA moderators, I have to object to the idea of creating an NES section on AA.

#49 OldSchoolRetroGamer OFFLINE  

OldSchoolRetroGamer

River Patroller

• 3,720 posts
  • Do you FEEL in charge?

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:44 AM

Just about every time someone mentions Nintendo Age, there is mention of how "less mature" the NA forums are. I wouldn't want this "lessened maturity" to spill over into AtariAge, which is likely to happen if some NA members who are fed up with the NA forums were to migrate to this proposed NES sub-forum on AA.

So for the sake of the collective sanity of the AA moderators, I have to object to the idea of creating an NES section on AA.

Could it be any less then what often goes on in the JAG forums? No sense assuming a NES forum will end up like that, choices and options are are good thing, people not interested need not go there right? I am sure the NES forum will be moderated and trouble makers warned/ejected as need be just as it is with the rest of Atariage. IF as you say some members of NA are fed up and migrate to a NES forum here then perhaps they too are fed up with the immaturity at NA and would prefer a better moderated and mature section Atariage would likely provide. No harm in giving it a try.

#50 revolutionika OFFLINE  

revolutionika

Quadrunner

• 9,476 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:00 PM

There is plenty of Immaturity on the AA forums everywhere, dont worry about that.

Ever see how any newcomer that tries to come here and show/sell a rare gameis treated? They are mostly treated like a pile of shit, how mature is that?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users