Photo

Can we have a separate NES section here at AA?

95 replies to this topic

#76 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,530 posts

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:58 PM

This site is called AtariAge for a reason. There are other forums on the net dedicated to Nintendo. Go post on them if the threads here aren't to your liking. You could make the same argument for a dedicated subforum for any of Ataris competitors. There is no need. This general Classic Gaming forum is more than enough.

"This site is called Atariage for a reason." What reason would that be? There's quite a few subforums already here for non-Atari systems; I'm sure you already know this.

The "other forums" out there aren't very good, hence why I'm bringing this up here. Where would you get the idea that the threads here "aren't to my liking"? I understand we're typing on a forum so perhaps I'm reading into your response but it seems you have a problem with the idea of an NES section, so you're stating your opinion.

The Classic Gaming Forum is great too. One of the reasons I thought a subforum would be a good ieda would be to discuss the NES High Score Club games. And again, there's a lot of other systems with their own subforums (Coleco, Genesis, Inty) so I thought it would be a valid question.

But ya never know, maybe an NES subforum would be just as dead as the Genesis subforum (not that I know that for a fact, I don't go there for the same reason you might not bother with the NES subforum).

I thought perhaps a mod or somebody official might make a post to add their thoughts. Since I don't know who that is, perhaps somebody could point me in the right direction?

#77 accousticguitar OFFLINE  

accousticguitar

Quadrunner

• 5,683 posts
  • Sherlock made it to 15 before he left us.

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:07 AM

Or we could just forget the whole thing. :D

#78 high voltage ONLINE  

high voltage

River Patroller

• 3,433 posts
  • Location:America, Asia, Europe, Aus, Antartica, Africa, Outer Space

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:38 AM

Maybe there should be a Vectrex forum, and a Odyssey 2
After all, the five most important consoles under one roof: VCS, Inty, Coleco, Vectrex and O2

#79 Underball OFFLINE  

Underball

Stargunner

• 1,507 posts

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:29 AM

This site is called AtariAge for a reason. There are other forums on the net dedicated to Nintendo. Go post on them if the threads here aren't to your liking. You could make the same argument for a dedicated subforum for any of Ataris competitors. There is no need. This general Classic Gaming forum is more than enough.

"This site is called Atariage for a reason." What reason would that be? There's quite a few subforums already here for non-Atari systems; I'm sure you already know this.

The "other forums" out there aren't very good, hence why I'm bringing this up here. Where would you get the idea that the threads here "aren't to my liking"? I understand we're typing on a forum so perhaps I'm reading into your response but it seems you have a problem with the idea of an NES section, so you're stating your opinion.

The Classic Gaming Forum is great too. One of the reasons I thought a subforum would be a good ieda would be to discuss the NES High Score Club games. And again, there's a lot of other systems with their own subforums (Coleco, Genesis, Inty) so I thought it would be a valid question.

But ya never know, maybe an NES subforum would be just as dead as the Genesis subforum (not that I know that for a fact, I don't go there for the same reason you might not bother with the NES subforum).

I thought perhaps a mod or somebody official might make a post to add their thoughts. Since I don't know who that is, perhaps somebody could point me in the right direction?

My only point was that you're already allowed to make NES related threads, right here in this forum. To be honest, I don't really see the point of any subforums for other systems that aren't Atari. I would shitcan all of them if I were running the board, out of principle.

Also - I'm aware that other NES forums pretty much suck. I'd like to keep it that way, and let them stay right where they are, attracting all the lameness and keeping it from posting on Atariage.

#80 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,530 posts

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:19 PM

Fair enough :-D

#81 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,530 posts

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:24 PM

Here's a LOVE bump :)

#82 Tr3vor OFFLINE  

Tr3vor

Stargunner

• 1,906 posts
  • AAARG!

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:33 AM

Go subforum!

#83 revolutionika OFFLINE  

revolutionika

Quadrunner

• 9,421 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:39 AM

The hardest part of all this is going to be to convince Albert to actually make it!!! Maybe he has to spend more for more MB's on the site if it gets busier? I dont know......

IMO, AA is the best retro forum. I hate digitpress's color scheme, and there isnt really any sections. rf generation is not bad, gamegavel forum in ok, but not super busy yet.

I like the idea of a Nintendo and Sega section. O2 and Vectrex have a small following, do they warrent a separate section?

#84 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

River Patroller

• 4,788 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:34 PM

Outside of this thread, I see a single thread about the NES on the 1st page of this forum.

What's the point of giving it a dedicated section when there's typically not even any discussion going on about it as is? I could understand the reasoning if there was at least a little bit of discussion going on about it with some regularity here. But discussion on the NES here is an exception instead of the rule.

Sub forums just hinder discussion unless there's a lot of it about a particular subject that warrants sectioning it off to its own dedicated section. When people love a particular subject they enjoy seeing it given its due and to some forum users, that calls for a section dedicated to that subject. But if a subject is barely being discussed as it is, a dedicated section is just going to make it even less likely that subject will be discussed here in the future since most of us probably aren't going to be visiting there nearly as regularly as we are this general area. The exact opposite of what they're after.

Just going to limit even further what little discussion there is about this platform here if it's shoved off into a forgotten corner that most won't be visiting regularly (And which quite a few won't ever notice is even there). It's just counterproductive.

People largely aren't talking about the subject now. Hiding what little discussion there is sure isn't the way to promote it.

Edited by Atariboy, Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:47 PM.

#85 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,530 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:46 PM

The hardest part of all this is going to be to convince Albert to actually make it!!! Maybe he has to spend more for more MB's on the site if it gets busier? I dont know......

IMO, AA is the best retro forum. I hate digitpress's color scheme, and there isnt really any sections. rf generation is not bad, gamegavel forum in ok, but not super busy yet.

I like the idea of a Nintendo and Sega section. O2 and Vectrex have a small following, do they warrent a separate section?

Yes, I think from here I'll just PM Albert...again though, I don't know, do I just do a search on 'Albert' and it will bring up his account?

This place is the best, for sure...mind you I don't really visit the other sites often so I'm not sure what goes on over there. Again, it's not like the floodgates would open and every other console would need a subforum, but for a system like the NES it makes sense (to me at least).

#86 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,530 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:57 PM

Outside of this thread, I see a single thread about the NES on the 1st page of this forum.

What's the point of giving it a dedicated section when there's typically not even any discussion going on about it as is? I could understand the reasoning if there was at least a little bit of discussion going on about it with some regularity here. But discussion on the NES here is an exception instead of the rule.

Sub forums just hinder discussion unless there's a lot of it about a particular subject that warrants sectioning it off to its own dedicated section. When people love a particular subject they enjoy seeing it given its due and to some forum users, that calls for a section dedicated to that subject. But if a subject is barely being discussed as it is, a dedicated section is just going to make it even less likely that subject will be discussed here in the future since most of us probably aren't going to be visiting there nearly as regularly as we are this general area. The exact opposite of what they're after.

Just going to limit even further what little discussion there is about this platform here if it's shoved off into a forgotten corner that most won't be visiting regularly (And which quite a few won't ever notice is even there). It's just counterproductive.

People largely aren't talking about the subject now. Hiding what little discussion there is sure isn't the way to promote it.

I believe that if there's an NES subforum, not only will there be more topics, but other folks will come here and see what AtariAge is about. If that's something that worries people, well I don't know what to tell you.

The reason people don't make more NES posts in the General section, IMO, is because the posts don't get noticed as much admist the other topics.

Personally, I'm ok with less traffic on a thread as long as those who contribute are passionate and truly interested in the topic. But on the flip side, maybe other users who might be interested in a topic wouldn't bother going to the NES subforum. Take a look at all the work that Satoshi put in to his awesome "Top 100 NES Games"...that thread is epic, and lots of people were interested in it, perhaps even non-NES fans. Were that thread in a subforum, perhaps it would have received less views. I don't know, but I think that a subforum for the NES will at least consoolidate the threads that are NES specific (and there are quite a few).

And if it's just a matter of anti-NES folks, well look at it this way: at least NES threads won't be popping up in the General section, lol. The way I look at it, if it doesn't cost much time and effort, how could it hurt?

#87 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

River Patroller

• 4,788 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:16 PM

The NES has been dead in this country for nearly 20 years. None of what I said has any bearing on my personal opinion then or now about the console.

Stuffing it into a forgotten corner is just going to stifle conversation, not encourage it.

It's not about a popularity contest.

but I think that a subforum for the NES will at least consoolidate the threads that are NES specific (and there are quite a few).

Fifty threads per page of this forum. On page 1, there are two whole threads (Including this one) dealing specifically with this console, five on the previous page of activity, four on the 3rd page, three on the next page, etc. Averages out to be something like 3.5 threads out of 50 dealing specifically with this platform per page.

It's not really inundating things around here. NES discussion is an extremely tiny fraction of the activity in the general classic gaming board. If there was typically a good bit of discussion going on about this subject, I'd be right behind you in requesting it get a dedicated section.

But there isn't. So why push it off into yet another subforum where there is going to be even fewer eyes and add another hoop for those will be visiting to jump through if they want to keep an eye on it?

It's a solution without a problem.

Edited by Atariboy, Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:44 PM.

#88 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,530 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:10 PM

The NES has been dead in this country for nearly 20 years. None of what I said has any bearing on my personal opinion then or now about the console.

Stuffing it into a forgotten corner is just going to stifle conversation, not encourage it.

It's not about a popularity contest.

but I think that a subforum for the NES will at least consoolidate the threads that are NES specific (and there are quite a few).

Fifty threads per page of this forum. On page 1, there are two whole threads (Including this one) dealing specifically with this console, five on the previous page of activity, four on the 3rd page, three on the next page, etc. Averages out to be something like 3.5 threads out of 50 dealing specifically with this platform per page.

It's not really inundating things around here. NES discussion is an extremely tiny fraction of the activity in the general classic gaming board. If there was typically a good bit of discussion going on about this subject, I'd be right behind you in requesting it get a dedicated section.

But there isn't. So why push it off into yet another subforum where there is going to be even fewer eyes and add another hoop for those will be visiting to jump through if they want to keep an eye on it?

It's a solution without a problem.

Since you took the time to look at the General Gaming forum, I thought I would too. I found ten threads, NES specific, in the first three pages. I stopped counting at ten, but I'm sure there's more. I agree, it's not a popularity contest, but look at the other subforums. The NES High Score club has over double the threads of either the Genesis or Sega HSC (and almost equal to those two plus the X-Port emulation).

The Coleco and Aquarius/Inty subforums have almost 1200 posts each. The NES isn't from the same era but if we're talking numbers, I wouldn't be surprised at all if an NES subforum equals that, especially with people googling NES and having Atariage threads show up. By your logic, the Colecovision and Intellivision subforums should have further pushed those systems 'into a corner', but I'm sure you know as I do that the members in those subforums are thriving and they discuss all things related to those systems.

I truly do understand your points but I don't think you realize how many NES threads are in the General section, nor would I expect you to go into each thread to find out. I just think there's more than people realize, and there could be even more if people knew there was a place to put them in.

Do I really want to start an NES thread in the general forum on Xevious strategy (since it's this week's NES HSC game), or do I take up space under the HSC forum?...I don't fully know, but I bet if there was a subforum, I would have made that post.

HSC forums are great for placing a score but it can be a pain to talk about the games without making long posts. And in some cases, talking about the game is just as fun as placing a score...that interest is what gets people going, after all. Having to read through each post to see if there's a recorded score could be annoying for the HSC moderator, although I can't speak for them.

Part of this idea sprang from the lack of a place to talk strategy/thoughts about those NES HSC games without making posts in the Classic General section. I can't say I've read anything to make me think that having an NES subforum would be a bad thing.

#89 OldSchoolRetroGamer OFFLINE  

OldSchoolRetroGamer

River Patroller

• 3,716 posts
  • Do you FEEL in charge?

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:23 PM

So.............. :ponder:
How's that new NES section coming along? :rolling:

#90 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,530 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:33 PM

:D :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :sleep:

#91 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

River Patroller

• 4,788 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:11 PM

By my logic, Intellivision and Colecovision subforums made sense. There was a lot of discussion here before they got their own sections.

And I'm well aware of how much discussion happens around here about the NES. Heck, ignoring the fact that this has become my most visited section of the forum so I'm already here on a day to day basis reading this stuff as it happens (Not much to discuss in the various Atari forums that hasn't been done to death over the years, so outside of homebrew activity, I mostly read and post here and in modern gaming), I actually went back several pages and counted the threads actually dealing with this platform and gave you concrete numbers (Not including things that would still belong here if we did have a NES forum, like the thread about how you'd pronounce NES and SuperNES).

There simply isn't much discussion about this console here. It's going to be a ghost town if they make it and be the exact opposite of what you're hoping for. It's going to discourage discussion rather encourage it.

#92 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,530 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:33 PM

By my logic, Intellivision and Colecovision subforums made sense. There was a lot of discussion here before they got their own sections.

And I'm well aware of how much discussion happens around here about the NES. Heck, ignoring the fact that this has become my most visited section of the forum so I'm already here on a day to day basis reading this stuff as it happens (Not much to discuss in the various Atari forums that hasn't been done to death over the years, so outside of homebrew activity, I mostly read and post here and in modern gaming), I actually went back several pages and counted the threads actually dealing with this platform and gave you concrete numbers (Not including things that would still belong here if we did have a NES forum, like the thread about how you'd pronounce NES and SuperNES).

There simply isn't much discussion about this console here. It's going to be a ghost town if they make it and be the exact opposite of what you're hoping for. It's going to discourage discussion rather encourage it.

Well, I guess everybody's got an opinion and you're entitled to yours. I don't believe that you have any more ability to read the future about how popular an NES forum would be than I do. There are more than the "3 in 50 posts" directly-related to the NES as I checked it myself (not including the multi-platform posts).

I can't understand why you'd think it would be a ghost-town, either...this hasn't happened to either the Inty or Coleco subforums. My guess about the Inty is that, as old as the NES is, the Inty is older (and has far less mainstream appeal than the NES does right now). The Coleco has a big base of homebrewers which helps matters, and I think the NES would do just fine given the chance.

But who knows?....maybe it wouldn't. But maybe it would!

#93 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

River Patroller

• 4,788 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:26 PM

You stopped counting at 10 on the 3rd page. There are 11 threads specifically dealing with this subject on the first three pages of the forum. On page 4, there are three threads. If I missed any, it wasn't more than a single thread. In other words, we average three and a half threads about this subject out of every fifty, just like I already said.

As for my prediction, it's certainly an opinion and I can't guarantee it. That's a given since it's a prediction. But past precedent on message boards is clearly on my side. Boards that spread themselves too thin typically back down on that over time when they realize many of the sections aren't being used much. And when a section is created out of the blue without there being much prexisting discussion going on about that subject, they're usually little traveled and essentially pointless.

Your argument seems to always end up back to a popularity contest. Forum subdivisions should follow logic and be tailored to the audience that uses the forum. Despite the NES having been a far more successful console with far more mainstream appeal today, the Intellivision has always seen far more discussion over my years here than the NES by a large margin. Enough to warrant providing it with its own section. NES discussion has always seemed to be fairly rare here.

Anyways, we're starting to just repeat ourselves. This isn't a big deal so it's pointless to debate it further. You're welcome to your opinion just I am. And whatever is done, it really doesn't matter. ;)

#94 Jibbajaba OFFLINE  

Jibbajaba

River Patroller

• 3,884 posts
  • Senior Executive Editor - Classic Gaming Quarterly

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:57 PM

I think that the fact that the Genesis forum is as dead as it is suggests that sub-forums for different systems is maybe not a good idea. I just don't see the point in doing it. Why can't you just talk about the NES in the CG forum?

Like Atariboy said, it's a solution without a problem.

Chris

#95 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,530 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:29 PM

I talk about the NES in the Classic section, as well as the HSC...I don't feel the HSC is the best place to talk about the games we're playing, if only because the majority of posts are simply their scores. That was the reasoning, and then looking at the Colecovision section I wondered why there wasn't an NES section. Call it laziness, I suppose...one-stop shopping for NES topics would be cool here at Atariage.

Some like the idea and some don't, that much is clear. But like Celine Dion, my heart shall go on! :grin:

#96 revolutionika OFFLINE  

revolutionika

Quadrunner

• 9,421 posts

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:37 PM

If you build it, they will come....just look at the Intellivision section, it is pretty busy, as well as the CV section. nes has a huge following...way more than genesis.

P.s. who wants to go to the genesis section, genesis sucks..... :-D .............just kidding!!!! :P :P :P

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users