Programming tutorial

14 replies to this topic

#1 LX.NET OFFLINE  

LX.NET

Moonsweeper

• 499 posts

Posted Sat Apr 7, 2012 3:33 PM

Hi everyone,

As if I didn't have enough things on my hands already, I started more things: writing a Lynx game and a tutorial at the same time.
I also moved my Lynx blog to a new WordPress website. You can find it here. The tutorial is located at my blog as well. It has three parts so far. The following link gets you to the last part with links to the previous parts.

http://atarilynxdeve...ng-hello-world/

Let me know what you think.
Some questions for you:
  • Do you think it is useful?
  • What topics would you like to see covered?
  • Suggestions, tips, corrections, additional information?
When this tutorial is a bit further along I hope that it will give a clearer picture of what it takes to create and program a game for the Lynx. There are a lot of things I do not know yet, but I do hope that with some community contributions, we can make this tutorial grow into a reference for Atari Lynx development.
Thanks.

#2 obschan OFFLINE  

obschan

Chopper Commander

• 149 posts

Posted Sat Apr 7, 2012 9:02 PM

That is always good to have differents sources when you begin.
There is also one wiki which I found very useful at the beginning, there :
http://www.classicga...per's_Reference
It would be great to fill the gaps.

#3 Shawn Jefferson OFFLINE  

Shawn Jefferson

Stargunner

• 1,707 posts

Posted Sun Apr 8, 2012 10:34 AM

That link (Obschan's) redirected me to a Fake Antivirus trojan page. Be careful!

#4 karri OFFLINE  

karri

Stargunner

• 1,411 posts

Posted Sun Apr 8, 2012 11:57 AM

That link (Obschan's) redirected me to a Fake Antivirus trojan page. Be careful!

Strange. That page is set up by Wookie and me. And there is not even ads on it!

Screenshot at 2012-04-08 20:59:56.png

I suggest you check your own computer. It may be infected.

--
Karri

Edited by karri, Sun Apr 8, 2012 12:00 PM.

#5 Shawn Jefferson OFFLINE  

Shawn Jefferson

Stargunner

• 1,707 posts

Posted Sun Apr 8, 2012 12:33 PM

No, my computer is not infected. (I do this for a living, so I'm relatively sure it's not my computer.) That site redirected me to (which then redirects to the fake AV site): hxxp://gypt73iani.rr.nu/n.php?h=1&s=nl (changed to hxxp to protect casual clicking). Check the source of your page, and you will see, at the very end, a <script> inserted that redirects to a malicious site (which eventually redirects to the site above.) I suspect that your FTP account has been hacked, or possibly your CMS system (if you use one).

Attached Thumbnails

• malpage.jpg

Edited by Shawn Jefferson, Sun Apr 8, 2012 12:50 PM.

#6 LX.NET OFFLINE  

LX.NET

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 499 posts

Posted Sun Apr 8, 2012 12:38 PM

No, my computer is not infected. (I do this for a living, so I'm relatively sure it's not my computer.) That site redirects to:

hxxp://gypt73iani.rr.nu/n.php?h=1&s=nl
(changed to hxxp to protect casual clicking).

Check the source of your page, and you will see, at the very end, a <script> inserted that redirects to a malicious site (which eventually redirects to the site above.) I suspect that your FTP account has been hacked, or possibly your CMS system (if you use one).

I have had this as well, when checking it after Shawn reported it. It has redirected me to the site once. Not again afterwards. It was reported as the JS/FakePAV trojan.

#7 Shawn Jefferson OFFLINE  

Shawn Jefferson

Stargunner

• 1,707 posts

Posted Sun Apr 8, 2012 12:48 PM

Hi, That's a common tactic for these sites. They either keep track of your IP, or sometimes a cookie based on time, to make it harder to analyze. Way too common unfortunately. :( PS, I didn't change the link properly above, so the quoted text contains a REAL link, sorry about that.

Edited by Shawn Jefferson, Sun Apr 8, 2012 12:51 PM.

#8 GadgetUK OFFLINE  

GadgetUK

Stargunner

• 1,364 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:53 AM

Been meaning to reply to this for a week or so now - great work, please keep them coming!!

#9 karri OFFLINE  

karri

Stargunner

• 1,411 posts

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:46 AM

Thanks for the info Shawn. The ClassicGameDev site for the present. I also checked some other sites and php seems to be extremely vulnerable.

I have a few sites that I maintain. Perhaps the only "cure" is to have static pages only.

--
Karri

#10 LX.NET OFFLINE  

LX.NET

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 499 posts

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:42 PM

Been meaning to reply to this for a week or so now - great work, please keep them coming!!

Thanks.
Just a moment ago I posted the fifth part of the tutorial series.
http://atarilynxdeve...5exploring-tgi/
It is getting to the more practical stuff now.
Enjoy.
And, as always: feedback, suggestions, comments and reporting errors are really appreciated.

Edited by LX.NET, Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:51 PM.

#11 obschan OFFLINE  

obschan

Chopper Commander

• 149 posts

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:31 AM

What topics would you like to see covered?

A detailed sound tutorial :)

#12 GadgetUK OFFLINE  

GadgetUK

Stargunner

• 1,364 posts

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:15 AM

Awesome, awesome, awesome!! I love reading this stuff. The chapters on setting up Visual Studio and all of the configuration around the linker and object files I find interesting. Ive done development in C, and C++ over the years but never had to touch anything in that area. Ive developed on the GP2X as well and been lucky that a lot of the enviroment was configured already in the tool chain, so to see some of this stuff explained has been very useful. My problem is ive spent too many years as a Delphi programmer and Delphi is lazy regards object files etc, developers just tend to never need to do anything with them anyway as its all Win32 based (Kalix or whatever it was called asside...).

I wouldn't mind a tutorial section on sprites and vblank timing - possibly palette changing routine? And I certainly wouldnt say no to a sound tutorial as well.

Keep up the great work! It really is a priveledge to read this forum as there are so many talented people like yourself, karri and others.

#13 carmel_andrews OFFLINE  

carmel_andrews

Quadrunner

• 13,297 posts

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:48 AM

obschans link does not work

is there another link to that site

#14 LX.NET OFFLINE  

LX.NET

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 499 posts

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:47 PM

Awesome, awesome, awesome!! I love reading this stuff. The chapters on setting up Visual Studio and all of the configuration around the linker and object files I find interesting. Ive done development in C, and C++ over the years but never had to touch anything in that area. Ive developed on the GP2X as well and been lucky that a lot of the enviroment was configured already in the tool chain, so to see some of this stuff explained has been very useful. My problem is ive spent too many years as a Delphi programmer and Delphi is lazy regards object files etc, developers just tend to never need to do anything with them anyway as its all Win32 based (Kalix or whatever it was called asside...).

I wouldn't mind a tutorial section on sprites and vblank timing - possibly palette changing routine? And I certainly wouldnt say no to a sound tutorial as well.

Keep up the great work! It really is a priveledge to read this forum as there are so many talented people like yourself, karri and others.

Thanks for the positive feedback, GadgetUK.

I try to keep a logical flow to the tutorial and not cover topics that require certain knowledge without having covered that. Incidentally, I have just posted the 6th part on ... colors.
http://atarilynxdeve...l-part-6colors/
I am nearly ready for doing a part on sprites. It will probably be part 7 or 8. It will require more than one part, because there is a lot to be told on sprites.

As for the sound: I have absolutely no experience with the sound, so it will be a bit further down the road. But, the main reason for this tutorial is to investigate all of the areas involved in writing a game.

I am not sure whether I should mix the tutorial with the programming of a specific game. What do you all think?

#15 GadgetUK OFFLINE  

GadgetUK

Stargunner

• 1,364 posts

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:42 AM

Great work as always! I am not too bothered how you cover it, if its part of a game - great!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users