IGNORED

Red Sea Crossing AtariAge database

nagn2

Then again, who knows, maybe it is not a computer/video game/internet nerd like all of us...

I think that is the key. I think he was probably taken aback by the constant skeptism even after the screen shots, cartridge photos, video, phone conversation with the programmer, and the discovery of the ad. I remember he mentioned he got a lame offer for Music Machine from a member of this board and then the insistance on dumping the ROM. He probably regards some of the members here as scammers trying to get the game for free. I can understand that. If one is not familiar with the classic gaming community, the behavior of some AA members might seem as aggravating to him as his behavior seems to them.

No doubt he got low ball offers, so what, i'm sure he also got some bloody beautiful offers for something he picked up for next to nothing. What is the alternative... keep it and make nothing at all? Why would you do that if you had no interest in it?

I offered him 3 grand for it one time and got no response, a year later I asked what is your price and still no response. The dude can't be too intrested in selling it.

Nagn2 remembers what the boxed Air Raid went for and is holding off for that sort of money,your 3 grand just don't cut it. :)

• Like 1

Then again, who knows, maybe it is not a computer/video game/internet nerd like all of us...

I think that is the key. I think he was probably taken aback by the constant skeptism even after the screen shots, cartridge photos, video, phone conversation with the programmer, and the discovery of the ad. I remember he mentioned he got a lame offer for Music Machine from a member of this board and then the insistance on dumping the ROM. He probably regards some of the members here as scammers trying to get the game for free. I can understand that. If one is not familiar with the classic gaming community, the behavior of some AA members might seem as aggravating to him as his behavior seems to them.

Apparently he's a reseller of classic computer games so he knows the score. I can't see anything taking him aback.

I offered him 3 grand for it one time and got no response, a year later I asked what is your price and still no response. The dude can't be too intrested in selling it.

Nagn2 remembers what the boxed Air Raid went for and is holding off for that sort of money,your 3 grand just don't cut it. :)

Where is the box?

Where is the box?

Wonder007 has it.

• Like 1

Where is the box?

Nagn is working with Tanman as we speak, soon we will hear that he went back to the guy he bought Red Sea Crossing from and found the box too ;)

ahhh just kidding.

Whilst romhunter adds cartriges to the Atarimania database even based on advertisments (e.g. Gogo home monster), the AA database has a history of adding only confirmed carts. That's why games like gamma attack and birthday mania were added recently, but not red sea crossing, even though the cart had been found before the AA database upgrade.

Almost offending, this one.

According to your theories, Birthday Mania should be way more vaporware than Red Sea Crossing, therefore be removed from AA immediately.

Since the only evidence we've ever seen of that cart, is a crappy picture and some blurry screenshots.

And may I add that titles based on ads added to the Atarimania database are Home Vision titles only and that they each have a footnote on their page stating that its most likely a vaporware title?

May I also add that Albert has a lifetime's work to do before all confirmed to exist VCS carts have been added to the nowadays completely outdated and quite inaccurate AA database?

Both databases can't be compared anymore, Dino.

You, of all people, should know that.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

I doubt he'll ever get more than that even if it's confirmed to be real by a team of neutral videogame experts.

• Like 1

May I also add that Albert has a lifetime's work to do before all confirmed to exist VCS carts have been added to the nowadays completely outdated and quite inaccurate AA database?

This is a bit of a stretch, and I don't really appreciate it. A "lifetime's work?" Hardly. I'll be making some changes soon that will make it much easier for me (and others) to add to and maintain the database to bring it up to date and keep it as such.

..Al

• Like 1

I remember they guy a few years back saying he "likes to gamble" and "doesn't NEED the money" so I'm sure if it is real/etc he is holding out for that offer he can't refuse. You know the type, same people that put stuff on Craigslist or Ebay for YEARS (literally) waiting for that one person that has to have it/etc.. I guess It is good business and will maximize money but the time you waste and gamble you take totally counteract it if you ask me. They guy paid a few bucks for it, he should just take the several thousand dollars that many have offered, take his wife on a nice cruise, remodel the bathroom and move on, not bad for a garage sale find right? :) I don't get it either but I also don't get people driving 10 miles to save 3 cents a gallon on gas yet they continue to do it, lol, he's probably just kind of cheap and wants the absolute highest amount of money he can get, whatever...thats how some people roll ;)

Whilst romhunter adds cartriges to the Atarimania database even based on advertisments (e.g. Gogo home monster), the AA database has a history of adding only confirmed carts. That's why games like gamma attack and birthday mania were added recently, but not red sea crossing, even though the cart had been found before the AA database upgrade.

Almost offending, this one.

According to your theories, Birthday Mania should be way more vaporware than Red Sea Crossing, therefore be removed from AA immediately.

Since the only evidence we've ever seen of that cart, is a crappy picture and some blurry screenshots.

And may I add that titles based on ads added to the Atarimania database are Home Vision titles only and that they each have a footnote on their page stating that its most likely a vaporware title?

Both databases can't be compared anymore, Dino.

You, of all people, should know that.

8)

Birthdaymania was different. It is held by a somewhat known super collector and was purchased via forums many many years ago (actually he traded pitfall and pitfall 2 plus $20...OMG!!!) The label shows age appropriate wear and I also remember someone working with him (marco?) to have the ROM dumped to save it (but not released) he posted something like "don't worry about it, the ROM is saved" or something like that, I can't remember. I could probably dig through forums and find it but my point is it's a little different than some dude that doesn't collect or care about atari finding one at a garage sale/etc..

Not saying Red Sea Crossing is fake by any means. I used to think it was a total hoax but after the mag ad surfaced I am nuetral now. Could it be fake? Sure, but it also has just as much chance of being real... I think a lot of us (myself included) are getting to the point where we no longer care. Hobbies are fun and all but geez, sell the damn thing nagn2 or stop bothering us unless you decide to take an actual interest in our hobby. You are becoming a pseudo troll, lol

• Like 2

Apparently he's a reseller of classic computer games so he knows the score. I can't see anything taking him aback.

I remember he asked what dumping the ROM was; he seemed puzzled when asked to take the cartridge apart, etc. It seemed like he didn't know much about classic games.

And speaking of not knowing much about classic computer games...

Stupid question alert:

What is vaporware?

Stupid question alert:

What is vaporware?

It's special underwear that catches vapors. It has an inner and outer layer of cotton and a middle layer of activated charcoal mesh that is easily removed and replaced through special slits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially canceled. Vaporware is also a term sometimes used to describe events that are announced or predicted, never officially cancelled, but never intended to happen. The term also generally applies to a product that is announced months or years before its release, and for which public development details are lacking. The word has been applied to a growing range of products including consumer, automobiles, and some stock trading practices. At times, vendors are criticized for intentionally producing vaporware in order to keep customers from switching to competitive products that offer more features.
  • Like 1

This is a bit of a stretch, and I don't really appreciate it. A "lifetime's work?" Hardly. I'll be making some changes soon that will make it much easier for me (and others) to add to and maintain the database to bring it up to date and keep it as such.

..Al

Good to hear this.

I'm sorry, Albert.

I guess I'm just getting tired of the all the nay-sayers.

BTW: this thread is becoming a clone of the other one.

I'm out.

8)

Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially canceled.

So prototypes that were advertised like the Pink Panther game is considered vaporware, right?

So, I guess with Red Sea Crossing, we'd need to know if people actually received it after ordering it from that magazine ad before declaring it an actual release or vaporware.

... I'll be making some changes soon that will make it much easier for me (and others) to add to and maintain the database to bring it up to date and keep it as such.

..Al

Cool! Is it safe to assume that there will be a select few that can authorize additions? And do you now if updates will have disclaimers or something stating who added it? ( I think both would be good ideas, not letting the masses (of which I totally include myself) add/update everything can be a good thing.)

I remember he asked what dumping the ROM was; he seemed puzzled when asked to take the cartridge apart, etc. It seemed like he didn't know much about classic games.

And can't most carts be dumped without opening them? (I know 2k/4k can correct?) And I assume that whatever the origin of Red Sea Crossing is, it is a 4K rom.

Cool! Is it safe to assume that there will be a select few that can authorize additions? And do you now if updates will have disclaimers or something stating who added it? ( I think both would be good ideas, not letting the masses (of which I totally include myself) add/update everything can be a good thing.)

Anyone will be able to submit information, but there will be a select number of people who can approve the changes (as well as edit existing information in the database).

..Al

Anyone will be able to submit information, but there will be a select number of people who can approve the changes (as well as edit existing information in the database).

..Al

That sounds great! Now just as a random example, what if someone proposes adding a game called "Red Sea Crossing", who would approve of that? ;-)

• Like 1

Stupid question alert:

What is vaporware?

It's special underwear that catches vapors. It has an inner and outer layer of cotton and a middle layer of activated charcoal mesh that is easily removed and replaced through special slits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially canceled. Vaporware is also a term sometimes used to describe events that are announced or predicted, never officially cancelled, but never intended to happen. The term also generally applies to a product that is announced months or years before its release, and for which public development details are lacking. The word has been applied to a growing range of products including consumer, automobiles, and some stock trading practices. At times, vendors are criticized for intentionally producing vaporware in order to keep customers from switching to competitive products that offer more features.

I like your explanation better than wikipedias.

• Like 1