IGNORED

Replacement plastic game boxes?

Rook3

Are there any sites that offer plastic replacement boxes for INTV games?

I've seen some in the past for Atari games, Neo Geo and vectrex. Something with a space for the cart,

slipcover outside for artwork and perhaps little clips to hold a manual?

Similar design perhaps to DVD boxes... only that will hold INTV games. :)

Thanks!

I just recently bought a 'lot' of "universal" video game cases, with the intention of seeing how well they work for Intellivision games. I haven't opened the box yet, though. I'll take a look later tonight and let you know how well it works.

The cases are similar to the Sega Genesis cases -- plastic clamshell with outer slip cover, retention clip for a manual on one side, and a retention clip for the cartridge on the other. I don't know if it will retain a standard Intellivision cartridge or my new custom shells, and I intend to find out.

Ok, I checked... The cart retention mechanism expects far larger cartridges than the Intellivision has. They won't work for INTV games very well. You can put a cart in there, but it won't be locked down at all. And apparently I misremembered (or ordered the wrong product): There isn't a manual retention clip in the ones I bought.

Thankfully, they weren't that expensive. If it isn't too pricey, I'll bring them with me to Vegas for CGE and sell what I have for cheap to gamers on other systems that might benefit from them.

Are there any sites that offer plastic replacement boxes for INTV games?

I've seen some in the past for Atari games, Neo Geo and vectrex. Something with a space for the cart,

slipcover outside for artwork and perhaps little clips to hold a manual?

Similar design perhaps to DVD boxes... only that will hold INTV games. :)

Thanks!

Hi, you can print covers fro: thecoverproject.net

look for the intellivision section.

here is where to buy the cases: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mediashelving.com%2FMerchant2%2Fmerchant.mvc%3FScreen%3DCTGY%26Store_Code%3DW%26Category_Code%3DVHS&ei=5DOIT-eeHo64twflgPnYCQ&usg=AFQjCNHvnQAx0DShdmcbhEv0BK1YmD410Q

I snapped some pics, but I won't have a chance to upload them until later.

I did find an angle where the UGC will grab onto an Intellivision shell (both mine and Mattel's). It's not a very good grip and it may leave light scratches on the shell. But it's a strong enough grip to keep the cart from falling out. I've taken pics with both Mattel and my shells and will upload them this afternoon or evening.

EDIT: For those who are wondering, I had briefly flirted with the idea of making LTO releases in these plastic cases. I don't plan to currently. I ordered a few for evaluation purposes, but have no plans to distribute a game in them at this time. They're nice, but not really Intellivision.

Edited by intvnut

Thanks, intvnut. I have thought of using those UGC's for years. I don't mind them, And they are actually pretty durable/sturdy from what I've seen.But I know purists/collectors would rather have the cardboard boxes.

It might work if a whole line up of homebrews were released with these cases, then there would be a little section of the line up in someones collection.

Using a UGC, how much could be saved on any particular release? Is it even worth it pricewise to do it to try bring the price of a homebrew release down a little?

I dont know why the Atari and CV homebrewers dont look into it, those carts fit alot better i would think....

Edited by revolutionika

Ok, so here's all the pics I took this morning. I took pics of a Mattel shell (Lock'n'Chase) and one of my custom shells locked in the one angle where the UGC will hold them in. I also took some pics showing how well it holds both shells in when the case is upside down. And, as a coup de grace, I took some pics with both shells in so you can compare the Mattel shell against mine. (The UGC has similar grips at the top and the bottom of the cart area, and can comfortably accommodate two Intellivision carts.)

The fit for both was fairly similar. While my shells look "bigger" than the Mattel shells, they have the same overall footprint. The Mattel shells are actually maybe 0.1mm - longer than mine. Mine look bigger because of the blunt end. I've attached a photo showing that, yes, they're practically the same length.

I didn't get around to printing off the Choplifter box cover. I only have a B&W laser printer here anyway.... Is it really necessary? It's not like anyone is going to make carts out of Choplifter, are they?

post-14113-0-52651200-1334370323_thumb.jpg

post-14113-0-94999700-1334370335_thumb.jpg

post-14113-0-69305800-1334370347_thumb.jpg

post-14113-0-20187200-1334370367_thumb.jpg

post-14113-0-43529500-1334370381_thumb.jpg

post-14113-0-11069000-1334370513_thumb.jpg

post-14113-0-79954200-1334370724_thumb.jpg

post-14113-0-94540700-1334370739_thumb.jpg

post-14113-0-03973000-1334370772_thumb.jpg

post-14113-0-60610400-1334370785_thumb.jpg

post-14113-0-02915500-1334370855_thumb.jpg

BTW, I apologize that some of the shots are blurry. The autofocus on my camera-phone was being finnicky, and I was in somewhat of a rush.

Looking more closely at the pic of my cart vs. the Mattel cart -- at our longest point we're the same length. At the point where the UGC grabs the cart, the Mattel cart is slightly longer. That's because my shell is longest in the middle, and the Mattel shell is longest at the bottom.

Edited by intvnut

I did find an angle where the UGC will grab onto an Intellivision shell (both mine and Mattel's). It's not a very good grip and it may leave light scratches on the shell. But it's a strong enough grip to keep the cart from falling out. I've taken pics with both Mattel and my shells and will upload them this afternoon or evening.

EDIT: For those who are wondering, I had briefly flirted with the idea of making LTO releases in these plastic cases. I don't plan to currently. I ordered a few for evaluation purposes, but have no plans to distribute a game in them at this time. They're nice, but not really Intellivision.

Being the purist I am.....PLEASE DON'T USE THESE EVER! Lol! :) Rev, stop putting ideas in people's heads.

Being the purist I am.....PLEASE DON'T USE THESE EVER! Lol! :) Rev, stop putting ideas in people's heads.

Oh Cmart, you will get used to them.........

I didn't get around to printing off the Choplifter box cover. I only have a B&W laser printer here anyway.... Is it really necessary? It's not like anyone is going to make carts out of Choplifter, are they?

;)

Well, don't tell ILoveIntellivision2, then. It's the furthest thing from "original." We'll never hear the end of it. Cheap plastic boxes, recycled shells, and a game that isn't even complete!

The one and only place I think these make sense is in place of what otherwise would be a cart-only (no box, etc.) release. This gets you a box with nice label for like $1 more, plus or minus. (The UGCs are cheap, but you still have to pay to print nice labels.)

;)

Well, don't tell ILoveIntellivision2, then. It's the furthest thing from "original." We'll never hear the end of it. Cheap plastic boxes, recycled shells, and a game that isn't even complete!

I dont actually mind the recycled shells. But truth be told, your new shells are very sexy compared to the Mattel ones.

From what i have seen, it is just missing the music is all, right? I will have to play it some more and see how far i get, It hasnt 'crashed' for me at all though yet...

Yeah, you are right, the UGC's are not right for a new release. maybe i can make a cover for my cart only version of D1K. :grin:

Who is the Iloveintellivision2 guy anyway, I asked DH and he said it wasnt him....... :?

;)

I dont actually mind the recycled shells. But truth be told, your new shells are very sexy compared to the Mattel ones.

From what i have seen, it is just missing the music is all, right? I will have to play it some more and see how far i get, It hasnt 'crashed' for me at all though yet...

Yeah, you are right, the UGC's are not right for a new release. maybe i can make a cover for my cart only version of D1K. :grin:

Who is the Iloveintellivision2 guy anyway, I asked DH and he said it wasnt him....... :?

From what I remember, Choplifter was missing sound effects in general.

As far as UGCs go, I might consider them for re-releases or similar "budget" releases.

I don't know who ILI2 is, and I'm not sure it matters. In any case, I'm going to keep on moving the Intellivision homebrew ball forward as best I can, and try to enable others to go further than even I can. I never want to be the bottleneck. I see myself as an enabler helping to make the community grow. If that ceases to be the case, I hope I don't get in the way of the new vanguard that takes the community forward.

Oh Cmart, you will get used to them.........

NEVER!!!!!! :)

I dont know why the Atari and CV homebrewers dont look into it, those carts fit alot better i would think....

In a word: nostalgia.

Classic gaming is all about the fond memories of our childhood, and plastic cases were not used for games then. Those who grew up with Sega or PlayStation as their first console will have different considerations as to what fits the bill, but old-school Intellivision and Atari collectors and developers are very particular. I know I am.

-dZ.

Classic gaming is all about the fond memories of our childhood, and plastic cases were not used for games then. Those who grew up with Sega or PlayStation as their first console will have different considerations as to what fits the bill, but old-school Intellivision and Atari collectors and developers are very particular. I know I am.

-dZ.

Granted, but the ease of making a boxed game, when originally all you had was a cart only, or cart and instructions, is very appealing.

I have maybe 15 or so games without boxes. The sites online with the box scans and instruction/overlay sets are great, but not being able to print

a "real" box is what makes the platic cases somewhat attractive. :)

INTVNUT, are the cases you shared pics of, the same as the ones in the link posted by Revolutionika?

Thanks for the help everyone!

-dZ.

Granted, but the ease of making a boxed game, when originally all you had was a cart only, or cart and instructions, is very appealing.

I have maybe 15 or so games without boxes. The sites online with the box scans and instruction/overlay sets are great, but not being able to print

INTVNUT, are the cases you shared pics of, the same as the ones in the link posted by Revolutionika?

I think the ones that Intvnut posted are in fact the ones at mediashelving. They are pretty much the only one made. Great for almost every game size. too bad the Intv cart dont fit a little better.

-dZ.

Yes, I am pretty sure they are. Wanna buy some? I have a big box full of them here that I'm not likely going to use.

The plastic boxes would be a great way to revive all of the orphaned carts, overlays and manuals that lost their boxes. That's what at-gijoe does:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2307624807181?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=230762480718&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

They are kinda pricey, but I would probably consider it for my Super Cobra cart...or make my own.

Plastic boxes would also make a decent functional collection for the ones you play more often.

As far as homebrews go, I would like to see it offered in both box types, especially if the plastic option is cheaper. Purists will still choose the rarer cardboard variant (or if you're CMart probably both variations...lol). Everybody wins.

The plastic boxes would be a great way to revive all of the orphaned carts, overlays and manuals that lost their boxes. That's what at-gijoe does:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2307624807181?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=230762480718&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

They are kinda pricey, but I would probably consider it for my Super Cobra cart...or make my own.

Plastic boxes would also make a decent functional collection for the ones you play more often.

As far as homebrews go, I would like to see it offered in both box types, especially if the plastic option is cheaper. Purists will still choose the rarer cardboard variant (or if you're CMart probably both variations...lol). Everybody wins.

I had very similar thoughts after reading this thread - If the gatefold box was still being utilized with the homebrews I wouldn't even consider using the plastic case.

I use my Cuttle cart almost exclusively but the newer releases I will not have that option so these cases may actually have a place :idea: to ensure my boxes stay pristine ! :grin: