IGNORED

Replacement plastic game boxes?

Rook3

They are kinda pricey

BTW, if anyone wants to buy some of these plastic cases off me, I have 100 of them. After shipping I paid about $0.70/ea for them. I'd be happy to resell them at the same price, plus shipping.

I may consider offering some homebrews in plastic cases down the road, but for now I'm going to focus on cardboard. I'm trying to make something nice, and while the plastic boxes are shiny, the cardboard boxes feel more like the "real thing."

I wonder just how pricey a gatefold box would be -- they're considerably more complex than our current version, but man would those be awesome. It would probably add more than a few $ to the selling price though.

They are kinda pricey

BTW, if anyone wants to buy some of these plastic cases off me, I have 100 of them. After shipping I paid about $0.70/ea for them. I'd be happy to resell them at the same price, plus shipping.

I may consider offering some homebrews in plastic cases down the road, but for now I'm going to focus on cardboard. I'm trying to make something nice, and while the plastic boxes are shiny, the cardboard boxes feel more like the "real thing."

I wonder just how pricey a gatefold box would be -- they're considerably more complex than our current version, but man would those be awesome. It would probably add more than a few $ to the selling price though.

I'd pay more for a gatefold in a heartbeat! That would be really cool!

We plan to release a downloadable Overlay for D1K on our site.....it will be a modified D2K overlay that says 'DK Arcade' for those who want to know.

Anyone can print their own and laminate them.

We might consider a downloadable 'box' for printing, but do not want to go to the expense of real printing on D1K (At this time). It would defeat the purpose of a 'budget' release. It might be a solution for people with loose games of various sorts, but as a rule, we will never do a plastic box for our 'proper' releases.

We plan to release a downloadable Overlay for D1K on our site.....it will be a modified D2K overlay that says 'DK Arcade' for those who want to know.

We might consider a downloadable 'box' for printing, but do not want to go to the expense of real printing on D1K (At this time). It would defeat the purpose of a 'budget' release. It might be a solution for people with loose games of various sorts, but as a rule, we will never do a plastic box for our 'proper' releases.

Maybe you guys could connect with Joe and find a way to get a gatefold box made for future homebrew releases. That would really be keeping the faith as it were. And yes, I would pay more for those! :-D

• Like 1

To make a gatefold box, one would have to be taken apart.....the dimensions copied and put into Adobe Illustrator.....then one could design their box and take that to the printer, and a die would have to be produced to cut the cardboard. In my opinion, it would be one or the other....the standard 'Atari' size box or the original gatefold box. I prefer the original, but I don't have a template to use.

Perhaps in the future.

Maybe you guys could connect with Joe and find a way to get a gatefold box made for future homebrew releases. That would really be keeping the faith as it were. And yes, I would pay more for those! :-D

Same here, I would absolutely pay more for a gatefold !

To make a gatefold box, one would have to be taken apart.....the dimensions copied and put into Adobe Illustrator.....then one could design their box and take that to the printer, and a die would have to be produced to cut the cardboard. In my opinion, it would be one or the other....the standard 'Atari' size box or the original gatefold box. I prefer the original, but I don't have a template to use.

Perhaps in the future.

I actually did try to do that once, making a box out of card stock. It didn't turn out very well, but I chalk that up to me being a rank amateur.

Somewhere in my copious files I have the large PDF that Tim Lindner made for me. I drew it all up in XFig, but perhaps that work can be reused.

EDIT: Well, whaddaya know!

http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/images/4tris.box.pdf

Edited by intvnut

Perhaps in the future.

I actually did try to do that once, making a box out of card stock. It didn't turn out very well, but I chalk that up to me being a rank amateur.

Somewhere in my copious files I have the large PDF that Tim Lindner made for me. I drew it all up in XFig, but perhaps that work can be reused.

EDIT: Well, whaddaya know!

http://spatula-city....s/4tris.box.pdf

What is a "gatefold" box?

-dZ.

Oh! I would gladly pay more for those. To me, those represent real premium quality production.

To make a gatefold box, one would have to be taken apart.....the dimensions copied and put into Adobe Illustrator.....then one could design their box and take that to the printer, and a die would have to be produced to cut the cardboard. In my opinion, it would be one or the other....the standard 'Atari' size box or the original gatefold box. I prefer the original, but I don't have a template to use. Perhaps in the future.

Any comment on the gatefold 4-Tris template PDF I posted above? Link again: http://spatula-city....s/4tris.box.pdf

Sure, the content is a bit cheese looking back through the lens of the last 11 years, but I think the template may actually not be too bad. I measured everything out on a Lock'N'Chase box (if memory serves) that was a bit worn. It flattened out nicely, though. I used XFig to do my initial template, and then Tim Lindner cleaned it up, I believe in Adobe Illustrator. (I could contact him to find out.)

As a first-order guess, gatefold boxes would easily cost 1.5x to 2x what our current boxes run, based on the linear feet of cardboard involved. That said, they truly were something that set the Intellivision apart from the other systems.

Oh! I would gladly pay more for those. To me, those represent real premium quality production.

To make a gatefold box, one would have to be taken apart.....the dimensions copied and put into Adobe Illustrator.....then one could design their box and take that to the printer, and a die would have to be produced to cut the cardboard. In my opinion, it would be one or the other....the standard 'Atari' size box or the original gatefold box. I prefer the original, but I don't have a template to use. Perhaps in the future.

Any comment on the gatefold 4-Tris template PDF I posted above? Link again: http://spatula-city....s/4tris.box.pdf

Sure, the content is a bit cheese looking back through the lens of the last 11 years, but I think the template may actually not be too bad. I measured everything out on a Lock'N'Chase box (if memory serves) that was a bit worn. It flattened out nicely, though. I used XFig to do my initial template, and then Tim Lindner cleaned it up, I believe in Adobe Illustrator. (I could contact him to find out.)

As a first-order guess, gatefold boxes would easily cost 1.5x to 2x what our current boxes run, based on the linear feet of cardboard involved. That said, they truly were something that set the Intellivision apart from the other systems.

I think it would work. I agree that it would be more expensive, but damn! wouldn't it be cool to have. I can certainly imagine a "special premium edition" of a classic home-brewed game produced in that.

I think it would work. I agree that it would be more expensive, but damn! wouldn't it be cool to have. I can certainly imagine a "special premium edition" of a classic home-brewed game produced in that.

Well, the reality is that economies of scale rule. If we could come up with a die for the gatefold, then it would be in our best interest to make all game boxes that way.

To have a special edition w/ gatefold and a regular edition that isn't, you're probably looking at a huuuuuge delta in selling price (2x or more), to amortize the cost of the die.

Well, the reality is that economies of scale rule. If we could come up with a die for the gatefold, then it would be in our best interest to make all game boxes that way.

To have a special edition w/ gatefold and a regular edition that isn't, you're probably looking at a huuuuuge delta in selling price (2x or more), to amortize the cost of the die.

I'm in. How do we get a die for it? What needs to be done?

I think it was cool !!

I have a local printer here in the Circle City I am going to run this by them in the next day or so to get their thoughts ...

I have a local printer here in the Circle City I am going to run this by them in the next day or so to get their thoughts ...

Cool! Let me know what they have to say.

Oy, I've created a monster!

I need to get in touch with some local printers also. I belive there are some details about the physical design that I haven't fully comprended. The cardboard material for the LnC box is different than what SP's boxes were printed on. There is a bit of engineering involved in leaving appropriate space for creases, etc. since the material isn't thin. The physical mockup I made out of posterboard (I misspoke earlier when I said card stock) fit together poorly, and I imagine it was due to material differences.

When I go visit the printers, I plan to take some unassembled boxes with me. I'll take both our current "Atari-like" boxes and a deconstructed gatefold. Hell, since I'm getting a new mold made this go-round anyway, may as well see what it costs to shoot for the moon. I've already sunk $BIGNUM into cart shells and boards.

Cool! Let me know what they have to say.

Oy, I've created a monster!

I need to get in touch with some local printers also. I belive there are some details about the physical design that I haven't fully comprended. The cardboard material for the LnC box is different than what SP's boxes were printed on. There is a bit of engineering involved in leaving appropriate space for creases, etc. since the material isn't thin. The physical mockup I made out of posterboard (I misspoke earlier when I said card stock) fit together poorly, and I imagine it was due to material differences.

When I go visit the printers, I plan to take some unassembled boxes with me. I'll take both our current "Atari-like" boxes and a deconstructed gatefold. Hell, since I'm getting a new mold made this go-round anyway, may as well see what it costs to shoot for the moon. I've already sunk $BIGNUM into cart shells and boards.

Will do ! I had planned on taking several examples myself, including a set of Oliver's repro boxes I have that are still unassembled

Hopefully they won't be too overwhelmed ;)

I loooove where this conversation is headed! I would certainly pay another $10-15 for a gatefold box. One other thing is like to see explored is a game catalog with all the home brews in it. Roger had made one for the early Intelligentvision ones and when I bought all of his remaining collection( including documentation, discs and some other very cool stuff) I had a conversation with Roger and David about making this happen and unfortunately Roger went AWOL. I'd love to see these created with all the existing home brews as well as a "coming soon" section, just like BITD. I would be willing to help financially on this piece.... Just sayin.

The boxes with the flap on the front that opens like a book.

Those are my favorite since those are the first ones I received when we got our Intellivision... back in the day. :)

I'd love gatefold boxes for those games that DIDN'T come with them such as later INTV Corp. versions.

What is the general "retail" price for the "standard" (non-gatefold) boxes?

I loooove where this conversation is headed! I would certainly pay another $10-15 for a gatefold box. One other thing is like to see explored is a game catalog with all the home brews in it. Roger had made one for the early Intelligentvision ones and when I bought all of his remaining collection( including documentation, discs and some other very cool stuff) I had a conversation with Roger and David about making this happen and unfortunately Roger went AWOL. I'd love to see these created with all the existing home brews as well as a "coming soon" section, just like BITD. I would be willing to help financially on this piece.... Just sayin.

I'm kinda excited too... and your estimate of $10-15 each was what I was thinking too especially on such a low number (less than 300 ??) who knows maybe Joe or myself will find someone who is willing to tackle this awesome project ! :D

The guys I am going to talk to did some really nice work for a project of mine a couple of years ago and have been in business since the 60's.. We will see

The boxes with the flap on the front that opens like a book.

Those are my favorite since those are the first ones I received when we got our Intellivision... back in the day. :)

I'd love gatefold boxes for those games that DIDN'T come with them such as later INTV Corp. versions.

What is the general "retail" price for the "standard" (non-gatefold) boxes?

Do you mean BITD or today? The Intellivision Inc ones today vary in cost from a couple of bucks for the more common ones (quite a few fall into this category) to likely a couple hundred plus for the rarest of them all, Super Series Baseball.

What is the difference with Atari boxes and Intv boxes? Why would you make Atari like boxes?

I was a little confused at first by the "Atari-like" boxes comparison at first. If I understood the reference correctly, it's meant to distinguish the early Mattel box style that opened like a book, and the later box style (most of Mattel's later releases, and all(?) of INTV Corp's boxed releases) that open on one end and have a cartridge retainer inside. So far, all the homebrews for Intellivision that have custom boxes have been in that latter category. So, if you have Space Patrol, you have what has been referred to as an "Atari-like" box.

I hope the graphics arent like Atari too!!!

It's a Mattel/INTV style box, honest, not Atari! ;-) Just, it's the later Mattel style, when there was lots more in the graphics and gameplay and a little less in the packaging. ;-)