IGNORED

Looking for an affordable small collection of TG-16 games

gzsfrk

Hello all!

I'm new here to the AtariAge forums, but am really enjoying the sense of community and camraderie you guys/gals share and look forward to being an active member going forward.

It's only been over the course of the last 3 months or so that I've gotten into collecting retrogames (all part of an over-arching effort to recreate my childhood, piece by hard-to-find piece), but I've already gotten quite a few systems and decent libraries for each (2600, Colecovision, Intellivision, SMS, NES, Genesis, SNES, several stand-alone games, et. al.), and I couldn't be having more fun both finding and playing them.

One that I just got into this week is the TurboGrafx-16. Actually, I don't even have the home console, but rather picked up a Turbo Express for a good deal that I happened across. The only game it came with is Devil's Crush, and while that game is great, I'm eager to build up a small collection of fun titles for playing on my new toy.

Of course, I've always heard that the shmup was the specialty of the PCE, so I'm eager to pick up some of those, as well as perhaps some of the system's other notable releases. As far as specifics go, I'm interested in finding a good deal on the following:

• Blazing Lasers
  • Air Zonk
  • Bonk (and of the three, although I've heard III is the best)
  • Any of the Super Star Solider games (Soldier Blade in particular I've read is excellent)
  • A lot of people say good things about Keith Courage? Don't know much about it
  • R-Type
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Magical Chase
  • Legendary Axe

I realize some of those are probably more rare/expensive than others, and if so, it's okay as none of them are make or break. They either are games I've heard good things about or ones that looked interesting in the brief videos I watched of their gameplay. All I'm really looking for is a good starter collection of Hucards for my trusty little Turbo Express. I really don't care so much about manuals and cases. If they're there and dont' bump the cost significantly, then sure--why not? But even if it's just a bunch of loose cards you have and you're looking to de-dupe, then hey, I might can take them all off your hands in one fell swoop--as long as they're not sports games; man I hate most sports games. <Exception granted = Tecmo Super Bowl>

Of course, I'm also open to suggestions of other good games that I should keep my eyes open for, should an opportunity to purchase them at an affordable price present itself. Are there certain releases which work better on the TE than others? And likewise, are there games that I should -avoid- picking up because they -don't- play so great on the small screen?

Speaking of which, I'm also open to picking up an actual TG-16 core console with a couple of controllers, and maybe even a CD attachment if the price(s) is right. But for now, I'm pretty happy with my fantastic little TE handheld and its TFT screen, which is FAR superior to the stock Nomad display, a handheld which I paid just as much. (Although to the Nomad's credit, being able to do A/V out is a feature sorely missed on the TE.)

Thanks in advance to those who respond! And thanks also for being such a cool, knowledgeable, and friendly community of collectors. You guys are doing the hobby proud! :)

Edited by gzsfrk

Thanks, Rob! Never heard of the Turbo Booster, but that sounds like a great accessory to have. Certainly would prefer A/V hookups to RF, although I have to admit that the RF "fuzzy effect" does have a certain bit of nostalgia associated with it. :)

I actually have a TG-16 for sale right now. Its the console itself with one boxed NOS controller. No originals cables, but I am including an AV cable that a forum member made, PSU and RF wise I've just been using the ones from my NES and they work just fine. I have a photo of it in the for sale thread linked in my sig, take a look and if you are interested shoot me an offer.

Really? I have noticed that the lots of PCE games go for quite a bit cheaper than the lots of TG-16 games on eBay, although I was thinking that that might just have been because the games included were of a lesser quality. Is it just a matter of how many copies of the games were sold in Japan/Asia compared to TG-16 sales in the US?

In any case, should I go for a PCE console, or just pick up a PCE->TG16 adapter to use with a US TurboGrafx console? Are there any particular disadvantages to those adapters? Or is it just that it's cheaper to pick up a used PCE off eBay? I actually haven't looked for a place to buy the adapter yet; I was just sort of assuming it would be less than the cost of a full-on PCE console.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Are you talking about doing this? Don't know if my shaky hands can handle that level of fine soldering or not. :)

You do have several choices in this. You can ask a friend who knows about soldering and electronics. You could buy an adapter but they are pretty expensive. Otherwise you can shop on ebay and look for either "PC Engine" or "Core Grafx". I think the difference is the Core Grafx has the A/V inputs.

Right, the original NES-001 power adapter outputs 9V AC. Very weird. Although the aftermarket adapters for the console are all mostly 9V DC and interchangeable with the Genesis.

So which does the TG-16 want? I'm assuming you need to use only a 9V DC with the Turbo Grafx, correct?