IGNORED

What is the first RPG you beat? Ever?

As for first RPG beaten.. hmm. Does adventure count? Dragonstomper? I played Temple of Apshai but I'm sure I didn't beat it.. same with Oubliette. Wizardry 6 was a satisfying win. I put it as my favorite game of all time (at the time). I'd say it still resides in my top-10. There has to be one before Phantasy Star for me but my memory fails me.

I'd forgotten about Oubliette. That was an amazing game for its time. I never finished it. I may have to install DOSBOX now...

Although I'd played several RPGs before, the one I finally stuck with long enough to beat was Wizard's Crown.

(The first and so far only interactive text adventure I ever stuck with long enough to complete was Deadline.)

I may actually tally everyones responses....seems Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy and maybe Ultima are heading the way.

It's wierd I totally forgot about some of these jems mentioned here (Apshai, Wizards Crown....)

Nice to see some Sega games too.

Goldbox games from SSI. Bards Tale....I remember a few more SSI rarities called Phantasie

Phantasie_Coverart.png

Mine was Final Fantasy II for SNES, shortly after, I beat Secret of Mana

Though, I'd rather break this into categories.

My first console RPG was FF2, as mentioned.

my first CRPG was Might and Magic: World of Xeen and Wizardry 1. I played them both in tandem and beat them the same day! \o/

Phantasie is awesome.

Edited by Arkhan

Man I remember my first, Golvellius: Valley of Doom on the Master System. It was more of a Zelda upgrade than Zelda clone, better in every way in my opinion.

And for all you naysayers who doubt Zelda's RPG status, it would have been Shining Force for the Genesis.

But I'm sure now some will say that was a Tactical War Game or something...

I like to think of Game Genres as Music Genres. What was Heavy Metal back in the 80's isn't Heavy Metal now, same as Rap and also others. Back in the 80's games like Zelda were being marketed as RPGs because at the time they WERE. AT least that what the magazines articles, advertising, box descriptions, and game makers themselves were all calling them, etc... plus many cross genres

Edited by Torr

I may have also cheated my way through the BASIC (and "basic") RPG Quest for the Key of Night Shade on the TRS-80 Model I. I'm not 100% sure -- I know I used BREAK to stop execution and change some of my party's variables, but I don't remember whether I was able to finish the game off even so. You're always one step away from annihilation in that game, even on the easiest settings; no idea how one is supposed to beat the hardest setting, where you're outnumbered 60-to-1 from the get-go.

I guess I'd have to change my answer and say Adventure was first.

Funny though...I will still play adventure from time to time because it is so short. I finished FF1 and DW1 back in the day, but I doubt I'd have the patience now. The 8-bit music alone would cause me to stick a set of #2's through my eyes.

I guess I'd have to change my answer and say Adventure was first.

To this day, a computer RPG is, to me, something like Wizardry, Ultima III, and Wizard's Crown. So I wasn't thinking of the JRPGs or action RPGs like Adventure, but if all of the above are included in this topic then, yeah, Adventure would be my first. By far.

Wizards Crown on A8, one of the best RPGs ever, actually many SSI RPGs are tops.

I keep meaning to get around to playing that. I have it for my Apple II along with Eternal Dagger.

Yep yep first game i completed as well on an Atari 65xe. I would have to say this is probably my favorite rpg series of all time.

I don't actually finish a lot of RPG's, and I believe KOTOR on Xbox was actually my first.

I do play a lot of RPGs, though. I tend to fall into this pattern:

-Complete most of the game (ending level often in sight)

-get distracted by side-quests and excessive leveling

-run out of steam and put the game down

-pick it up again and forget where I was

-play the first couple hours of a 'new game' before filing the title away forever.

I actually don't see much problem with my style. I go through most of the story, ending battles aren't really terribly interesting to me, they're just where the story stops.

• Like 2

Here are the totals.

Seems like NES era Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy are tops followed by old schoolers with Ultima\Bards Tale type games and then the miscellaneous.

I've taken some advice from this thread and will be looking and getting some of these RPGS and trying them out.

Dragon Warrior - 12

Dragon Warrior III

Final Fantasy - 4

Final Fantasy II - 2

Final Fantasy VII - 2

Final Fantasy Legend III

Pokemon Blue 3\Red\Silver\Gold - 5

Ultima III - 3

Ultima II

Bards Tale - 2

Phantasy Star - 2

Wizards Crown - 2