IGNORED

What is the first RPG you beat? Ever?

I don't actually finish a lot of RPG's, and I believe KOTOR on Xbox was actually my first.

I do play a lot of RPGs, though. I tend to fall into this pattern:

-Complete most of the game (ending level often in sight)

-get distracted by side-quests and excessive leveling

-run out of steam and put the game down

-pick it up again and forget where I was

-play the first couple hours of a 'new game' before filing the title away forever.

I actually don't see much problem with my style. I go through most of the story, ending battles aren't really terribly interesting to me, they're just where the story stops.

:lol: Sounds exactly like me..

If Adventure counts then that would be my first.

If not it would be Ultima III on the Atari 8-bit computers.

My RPG playing began on the NES. Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest) would be the first I finished. Followed by The Magic of Scheherazade, which is an interesting hybrid of a game. I beat Final Fantasy on the system later after getting into the series on the SNES.

Back on the subject of The Magic of Scheherazade. This game mixed elements of Zelda with that of Dragon Quest. The overworld map plays like Zelda with you running around hitting things with a sword, but randomly when you crossed to the next screen you would enter a turn based combat setup like a Dragon Quest game. In the turn based section you had a party and stats and everything. It even had time travel elements before both Chrono Trigger and Ocarania of TIme. A great NES RPG that is not talked about alot.

More NES era stuff. Cool.

For Goldbox fans this was the worst thing to happen when coming into a room full of seedy looking Orcs:

start_126.png

Two hours later you win the battle as the last orc 'escapes'.

Which game was that in? IIRC the hardest fight was that last room in the slums in PoR. God that was rough.

That would be Pool of Radiance on the C64 for me. Loved that game!

Epic, Epic game. That damned Lich near the end was hard as hell. I loved this game, you could fail a battle many times if you didn't use the right strategy/get lucky. Paralyze spell was the best. I hated not being able to level your characters past level 10 or whatever the max was.

This one for me as well. I got all the way to the final battle without resorting to cheating, but had to cheat to finish it out. What I wouldn't give for my save game disk back...

For Goldbox fans this was the worst thing to happen when coming into a room full of seedy looking Orcs:

start_126.png

Which game was that in? IIRC the hardest fight was that last room in the slums in PoR. God that was rough.

I actually cant tell...I grabbed that image from another blog some guy was writing about Goldbox games. Your right the slums had a room with a wizard and tons of Orcs. Is that it? I think he had a necklace of magic missles. I also remember the Kobold caves being brutal and what about the most fearful creatures that sparked a re-load of a save game?

start_104.png

Dragon Warrior. Nintendo Power was nice enough to send me a free copy with an NP renewal. I thought I should at least play the game. I still have that annoying random encounter audio and "music" permanently etched in my brain.

I'd like to echo Reaperman's pattern of playing most of the game, putting it down, coming back to it later, then forgetting where I am and what I'm supposed to do. It's the reason I never finished Chrono Cross. Actually, I think the only other RPG I beat was Final Fantasy VII. I don't count Zelda games as RPGs.

More NES era stuff. Cool.

start_126.png

I love the Gold Box games, but I never finished any of them. I don't know if I ever finished any computer RPG. Sunk lots of good hours into them, though... I actually went back and started replaying Pool of Radiance on the Amiga last year, and was pleasantly surprised how well it held up and how fun it was.

[Edit] - Actually, another thread reminded me that I did finish Dungeon Master on the Amiga. Great game!

Edited by BydoEmpire

I played alot of Phantasie and Questron for the C-64 but didn't beat either one. If Zelda counts I have beaten Swords and Serpents on the Intellivision (assuming that beating the dragon at the end constitutes a win - I can't recall) and for that matter also AD&D Cloudy Mountain.

I've also finished some of the RPGs on the Turbo Grafx. Y's Book and maybe Cosmic Fantasy?

Adventure/Dragonstomper:The manuals for both of them describe the controllable onscreen character as being "you", so I'd say that they are.

Then I'd guess Adventure is the first RPG I beat, but it could have been Superman, if that counts.

• Like 1

Possibly Final Fantasy VII. It was honestly one of the first RPG's that I really tried. I worked at Target in the electronics department when it released and got a free promotional t-shirt for it. (I still have it btw, as well as one for Resident Evil 2.)

I say "possibly" because I can't remember if I actually beat it or not. But if not, definitely Phantasy Star II. Yes, I know, PSII came out quite a while before FF7, but I didn't get it (or my Genesis) until well after FF7 came out.

That's what happened every time I went into a room full of orcs.

I vaguely remember some outdoor battle which seemed like the entire army of evil was after my little group.

Wizards Crown on A8, one of the best RPGs ever, actually many SSI RPGs are tops.

I tip my hat to you sir, for you are clearly a badass.

I did Wizards Crown for C64, along with Eternal Dagger and Legacy of the Ancients at some point when I was younger.

It was all old news though since I was born in 88 and didn't get to any of it til the late 90s.

That orc-heavy battle (or was it hob goblins?) , anyway, they were pretty easy for me. You just needed to use poison cloud/sleep and disable most of the enemies and then one hit kill them all and laugh at them