Photo

Pong, Basic code for Atari 8bit or C64?

13 replies to this topic

#1 amiman99 OFFLINE  

amiman99

Dragonstomper

• 768 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:57 AM

Does any one knows where I can find code in Basic for PONG?
I'm looking for Atari 8bit or C64 versions.
I'm looking for a simple code.

#2 amiman99 OFFLINE  

amiman99

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 768 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:30 AM

I did find something...http://www.atariarchives.org/cgp/Ch03_Sec07.php

#3 Arkhan OFFLINE  

Arkhan

Stargunner

• 1,375 posts
  • Thug Life.

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:14 AM

man I wish I could find it.

I swear there was a BASIC pong game for MSX that was one line of code.

a very long line, but still one line.

#4 jhd OFFLINE  

jhd

Dragonstomper

• 847 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:14 PM

Is BASIC fast enough to implement a playable version of Pong?

I'm not familiar with the other 8-bit systems, but I had a Coco growing up (6809 processor at .89 mhz) and BASIC was really far too slow to implement PONG. I think that there was a crude version in listed an appendix to the Learning Color Basic manual, but I have not seen that book in many years.

#5 Arkhan OFFLINE  

Arkhan

Stargunner

• 1,375 posts
  • Thug Life.

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:20 PM

Yes BASIC is enough to run Pong. As long as you write it well enough.

#6 potatohead OFFLINE  

potatohead

River Patroller

• 4,196 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:00 PM

Totally. BASIC games we did back in the day on Atari, Apple (Integer BASIC), and CoCo were playable. Pong, Breakout, Artillery, Canyon Bomber, etc...

On the CoCo, using the high speed poke helped a lot :)

#7 amiman99 OFFLINE  

amiman99

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 768 posts

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:41 PM

Still looking... the example I found is for Apple
I may have to go through some Commodore magazines and look for examples.

#8 awace OFFLINE  

awace

Dragonstomper

• 544 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2012 12:57 PM

I will repost this after I reread it.

Edited by awace, Sat May 5, 2012 1:00 PM.

#9 awace OFFLINE  

awace

Dragonstomper

• 544 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2012 1:14 PM

There is also A buntch of places online that have programming books for BASIC and you could write youre own 1 player racket ball game then work into a brick type game like arcanoid its easyer to make it bottom paddle on the atari cause its only ONE DIRECTION for moving and the paddle paddle(0) value would be 0-255 then you could make paddle move across the screen on the bottom of screen between the boarders you make left wall and right wall if it hit the wall it bounces but stays at paddle value to keep it on the screen then just ask someone like nukey shay about how to clean up the bottom of the screen routine on the 800 it might take some time for him to learn atari800 basic if he doesnt already know but he would know how to make it not bounce then you wuold have youre paddle routine with walls the paddle would have to stay in like break out then you could work on the ball then work on holding the ball onto paddle then you can work on youre player/missile graphics targets players and missiles would be the BALL then you could work on
making the break out type targets or the 2nd player paddle routine then work on making it up down right side then up down left side player 2 then work on making it mesh to gether as inputs to keep speed for player 1 and player 2 at same time so you can move indepantly with out interfering with the other paddle missile/player movment speed then player missile grapihcs are fun you can change the shape of the paddle to look like a person or dog like pitch and catch on Kaboom is just a PADDLE pong/break out varient of the old BASIC game Vulcano or a nother game where you catch BIRD eggs I have this listing I got from Compute magazine I could send you the .atr file in .txt just rename it to .atr and load up its cool and I rewrote some of the code to make it sound better and have more extravagent lightning strikes when it strikes it displays more colors you would like the listing I can send it to you or post it here its public domain I dont know who wrote it originaly but I know it took me 3 days of leaving the atari 800 on in 198X to 1983 or some where in that time frame it could even be before that but i doubt it cause my brother made some games we both typed in DUEL a game where you have tank to tank battle with artillery and try to knock out the other tank usinf volicity and angle it was modified to show score on the screen witch was the bottom half of the gr.6 or above so you only had 3 lines of display atari800 basic to work with I used all " " 'ed quoted statments and added the >>> <<>>>> arrows to eat up the previous scores and the ^^ arrows too to eat up the lines and you can see it when player change happens it shows the text whole being eaten up with the attascii code its cool ill post it here if i can find it I have to get my laptop going 1st as its on that drive plus Im in linux now after i reboot I can check if I have Atari800 on that drive and ill see if i can find the disk image i have the listing on .. I know you will like the game even if you only play both players as youre self its still fun because the placement is always random and the mountians are never the same hight.. PS YOU CAN GO THREW THE MOUNTIANS IN 2 trys and kill the other tank in 3 shots but you only get 3 misses and it reboots the sceanery and starts a nother round not a new game but says no score and buzzes till the sound reboots to new WAVE.

#10 awace OFFLINE  

awace

Dragonstomper

• 544 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2012 1:28 PM

That was a long Post but I found the Image of my old Atari basic Disk I also found the original disk is was on ill post it tonight or sunday. 5-5-2012 .
On 4-20-2012 at 4:20:33.33am I played ATARI 800 Emulation I played some asteroids. I got 1025 points or more.

#11 awace OFFLINE  

awace

Dragonstomper

• 544 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2012 1:32 PM

I have to RELOAD Windows on top of it self Again to get into my Atari images.

#12 awace OFFLINE  

awace

Dragonstomper

• 544 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2012 1:34 PM

Still looking... the example I found is for Apple
I may have to go through some Commodore magazines and look for examples.

I know how you feel all my Compute Magazines are at my parents house although I might have some here..
PS WOW ITS SUPER RAIN ING I MIGHT JUST WATCH HARD RAIN TONIGHT..
and NO IM NOT PLANING TO take a CASH MACHINE ALTHOUGH it would be fun I would not want the CONSIQUENCES OF THAT MOVIE as you would get shot for doing it.. HARD RAIN IS A GREAT MOVIE IT WOULD MAKE A GOOD GAME SENARIO you try to out run bad guys in boat after making a withdrawl from cash machine and try to get all cash cards to bank before the corupt sherif comes and tags youre boat...

#13 awace OFFLINE  

awace

Dragonstomper

• 544 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2012 1:35 PM

Ok Im off to play PONG ON MY ORIGNAL PONG UNIT its a super pong..
its not doubles but normal pong with 4 game selections.

#14 awace OFFLINE  

awace

Dragonstomper

• 544 posts

Posted Tue May 15, 2012 12:08 AM

I played pong Lost a quarter in the box witch requires a philips to get quarter back but thats ok I have a cheat credit button that starts game by unhooking the quarter switch Its just a pong game inside a wood box and a coin slot and paddles I got at thrift store its COOL cause it has a orange screen about 12 inches its also a wide screen horizontial orintation screen witch is weird for a 12/13 inch screen also that its orange anyway the paddles work great they keep falling off the rca connections but the good news is they plug back in easyilly I used 2600 RF connection RCa's to use as connectors for paddles and they work great cause if paddle falls off I can put it back easilly w out damage and I have like 6 extra paddles lying around the house anyway.. I got 15 points as I was playing my self BUT last time me and my freind played HE won as he is really good at pong way better than me I got my butt kicked he said thats all he did when he was a kid AS i had a 2600 in 1975 he had pong so he was good and I never saw a pong untill about 1981 witch was at good will when I started finding out good will had Atari Galore I wish I had saved more $ back then cause Good will always had Atari and lots of it..
AS far as Pong code you could just use atari2600 emulation like joust pong or Atari OS pong witch is kind of cool in that its its own os type emulation.
otherwise you could just type in youre own pong in basic it would take a lot of basic programming and you would have to dedicate every waking moment before and after work to program it and would need help but ifyou asked here someone would probably have a starter file I could start on it when i come back from the HAMEVENTION may 17-21 then i could get basic emulation or real basic up I have to get my SIO cable working 1st NOW THAT windows is back up on this machine I need more drive space as I have filled up both partitions and I think at hamvention Ill get some drives to fill 500G or 250G I tend to want to stay below the 1T byte for reliablity reasons and so far I have had more luck with 80G WD drives and 120G drives but 160 G drives seem to crash a lot so im sticking with 250G and 500G mabie 800G if they make them as under 1 tb would mean more reliablity., then once i get some space I will get the REAL Atari800 up again and try to make w PONG game in basic using the paddles I already have the Atari symbol player missile graphics demo me and my brother typed in in witch it bounces around the boarders using scripts to make it go up down and left right and then it just boucnes like asteroids in the boarders but once i reprogrammed it to make the joystic move it around and had some help but the DOG didnt like me showing him the TV about a game w dog and peed on the disk and ruined my basic game there is just no way to fix dog pee on a disk I tried to save on tape but the idler was toast even though it was more than 20 years ago i think i could reverse engineer the DEMO fugi symbol basic program and probably look at the other game with the birds pooping and come up with a way to use at least one paddle then onto the other paddle 1st its pink cause thats the default color of atari800 basic player missile graphics unless you change the sprites with color or poke or setcolor x,x,x statements and stuff like that
then once i get the pink paddle(0) working I can work on getting the other paddle(1) to move a green paddele(player Missile) player graphics chunk around left and right then i can get the paddle routine working
and we all know from reading 2600 programming that having to mutch before the gosub return can cause slowage of game play. then once i get the bottom paddle to move and stay with in its set boarders carrage returns type boarders set then i can be like if paddle(0)< or = 200 then paddle(0)=190 or something like that x=paddle(0) if x<200 then x=190 if x<201 then x=190 if x <191 then x=190 if x>2 then x=2 this would make boarder 2 to 190 then if paddle(0)<> 2 or 190 then it would make it a smaller value and keep it in boarder also there is routines to keep it in even though its past like a boarder stoper witch if it hits value it keeps it at smaller value if above say 191 then it takes it to 189 if its 190 then ok then if <2 then x=2 or what ever to keep it with in 2 to 190 this would be 2=left side and 190 =right side for paddle(0) witch would be pink player (PLAYER/missile graphics player sprite) witch you could program to looke like a long paddle or a short paddle then you could make a nother one for player 2 above it then get pos right to move paddle(1) above on top of screen so you can have paddles in pong now this pong game would be more like 2 player simultaious break out cause it would be way easyer to make left right basic routines than up down ones its just the way my brain works cause i already made a game that does that using joystick and keeps it with in the boarders on the bottom I got it to work its called vultures it works and there is lighning and birds droping bombs I think there poop but could just be bombs i cant remember its been like more than 20 years but i could modify that program to use paddle then add a nother player above adn remove the birds and have one ball now the ball would be hard to program and i would not know how to program the ball I would how ever be able to program the movement of the paddle it would be someone elses job to program the ball the score is a whole nother crock in it self..
on a nother program i typed in called astro somethin It was a cassette game i finnally got onto disk then onto ,atr it had no way of telling score untill you die but I fixed that It was hard cause the small window was not avalible and text was being used as space junk now i wish i could have made a stop I think i did when you push fire it makes noise and stop ship scrolling ifyou move left it goes left if you move right it moves right as you notice it looks like a sideways atari symbol cause thats what i did to make the ship look other than the demo and it was my 1st game I used someone elses base of program but modified it to my likeing like duel .. look on here

http://www.atariage....i-images-found/
these have the basic games images just save image then renane to .atr cause atariage wont let you save.atr files
in those basic files there is DUEL.bas
now if it wont boot just swap out basic image .atr file then load dir.bas or menu.bas and push 0 to reload dir
then swap out youre ,atr file then push 0 on menu and it will reload disk directory then you can load up duel.bas
NOW I HAVE to find the vulture.bas file and astro basic flle also there is a bat halloween demo file too with music DATA statements you can change the DATA statements to make youre own music.. I think the player missile graphics are the funnest basic programming there is.
player graphics are the things you move w paddle or joystick
stick(0) [joystick 0] strig(0) [stick(0) trigger] paddle(0)[ self explantory paddle(0)] paddle(1) [player 2 paddle]
ptrig(0) [paddle(0)'s trigger button] ptrig(1) [paddle(1)'s trigger button)]
then all you do is program plot 3,paddle(0) drawto 3,paddle(0)
but this will crash and you need way more than just values to make a game but once you get goinig its fun.
I will post a game as I get it to work as now i want to make one.
I will once I have a framework of a playable game demo working I will list it here now onto the chrismas atr images to find duel and astro figher I also have cdrom with most of my games on them and I will look for them as whell as locate the 1st book of atari graphics and atari basic programing also i have DERE atari and source code for checkers and asembler editor cart files manual I also have internal ATARI manuals I got from dads freind before Atari Went defunct and no more Warnerbrothers and went to JTS disk drives then sold off to INFOGRAMMES as a NAME then still now is just a name its no more a computer company witch is sad but we still can program these machines.. they still can provide a learning curve and you can learn a lot from them AS I remember enjoying running home from the school bus to RUn into the atari room to program a game i was working on And LIGHTNING PROOF as The atari800 was the disc drive unit was not although we had it fixed the Atari was sitting READY _ and still worked alghough 23 years later the power supply section in the 800 went toast it started stinking then finnaly snapped a cap and blew I was going to fix it but got a new one on ebay a MINT 800 clean and new I threw the 800 away kept the memmory and os chip I KNOW I SOULD HAVE kept more but the case was nasty grose and not even clean and the keyboard was missing keys I should have kept the keyboard but I regret that now anyway I have the new one and its great The power pack is still original and the joysticks were Taken from the 2600 witch was returend to TARGET in witch it was purchased from not on sale but was purchased on sale but they insisted we take the non sale price when we returned it WE obglidged and got a 400 then ME AND brother saved $660.?? for a Atari800 Computer and It lasted 27 years or more before it had a problem and if it would have never had the lightning strike in 1985 it would still be working now I have lots of manuals and programming manuals and schematics from atari and drawings I wish i had a 48k module and a schematic as I did one then sold it on ebay I know I shuold have kept it .
anyway I will start programming again and post results basic listings here.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users