IGNORED

Stereo on Lynx 2 - Observation about Xenophobe

GadgetUK

Played Xenophobe today (again lol, ive always loved it and Lynx port is by far the best). Anyway, I noticed on the Lynx 2 it is stereo!?! With door sounds on each side coming from the appropriate speaker (on headphones). Now I realise the Lynx 2 brought stereo sound, but Xenophobe was one of the release titles that came out with the Lynx 1. So... How does my game support stereo on Lynx 2? The only thing I can think is that newer sales of the game were updated for Lynx 2 (ive seen multiple ROM revisions for most games, is this why?) or Epyx / Atari made it Stereo in the dev kit but not on the Lynx 1, so it was never heard in Stereo until Lynx 2 arrived? I thought you had to poke special value to a specific address to use panning and Lynx 1 didnt support it (ignored it)...

Anyone shed any light on this mystery?

but Xenophobe was one of the release titles that came out with the Lynx 1.

I don´t think this is correct, it came later, it was no release title.

True, only some Lynx games support the stereo of the Lynx II. Klax does, Roadblasters does...

In which respects the different ROMS are indeed different as to stereo/mono - I have never heard of that....

• 3 years later...

They said that batman returns and the revision of rygar(wich i own) supported stereo but i haven't notice any lynx game to support stereo,also i first owned the game klax but i stupidly sold it, because i want to check out of that game is in stereo, why only a few lynx games are in stereo is beyond me.

They said that batman returns and the revision of rygar(wich i own) supported stereo but i haven't notice any lynx game to support stereo,also i first owned the game klax but i stupidly sold it, because i want to check out of that game is in stereo, why only a few lynx games are in stereo is beyond me.

Don't forget you only get stereo on the Lynx 2. The version of Alien I wrote is in stereo! Sounds better in stereo.

• 2 weeks later...

Chequered Flag has great stereo sound in the game itself. You can hear the cars in your respective ear depending on which side they are.

Handy when your playing a mate you can hear which side their car is coming from behind and try to block them, (that's if they don't then crash into you)!

Yeah, ive always liked stereo in games. It was one of cool things I liked about the Amiga and SNES. I would like to buy some of the songbird lynx games but prices are still pretty high and with postage to uk and customs tax... :/

Carl will post to UK in a flat rate box for cheaper postage (arrange with him via PM)- save up for a pack of all/most titles to save long term on postage. CM2BT is a must!

Chequered Flag has great stereo sound in the game itself. You can hear the cars in your respective ear depending on which side they are.

Handy when your playing a mate you can hear which side their car is coming from behind and try to block them, (that's if they don't then crash into you)!

A friend of mine and I are CONVINCED the drones cheat! We have been playing it off and on for almost 25 years now and are routinely aggravated when some drones will seemingly intentionally hit your car so their buddies can get past you.

I would LOVE to ask the programmer(s) if that was part of the code or just the result of years of frustration!