Photo

How to separate metal parts corroded together?

8 replies to this topic

#1 boxpressed ONLINE  

boxpressed

River Patroller

• 2,331 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:04 AM

I have an original Odyssey unit, and it arrived with the RF cable still plugged in. If you know this unit, you know that the RF cable plugs into a jack on the top of the unit. Well, in trying to remove the RF cable, which was stuck, I managed to separate the cable from the connector, which had corroded into the jack. I can still remove the connector with pliers, I think, if I can somehow dissolve the corrosion. Is this even possible? Any help appreciated.

#2 jamesk OFFLINE  

jamesk

Moonsweeper

• 256 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:33 AM

You might consider Naval Jelly

#3 Galeforcerm OFFLINE  

Galeforcerm

Chopper Commander

• 246 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:21 AM

Pb blaster might work but it dissolves plastic so I would be careful. Naval jelly is also caustic so I would be careful if you use that too.

#4 Galeforcerm OFFLINE  

Galeforcerm

Chopper Commander

• 246 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:23 AM

Acetone mixed with automatic trans fluid also dissolves corrosion and might be safet.

#5 sqoon OFFLINE  

sqoon

Stargunner

• 1,094 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:13 PM

Anything petroleum based like PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench is excellent on metal parts, but will eat away at plastic and rubber components, so use sparingly.

I would recommend PB Blaster for extremely corroded metal parts. It is excelent stuff.

#6 boxpressed ONLINE  

boxpressed

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,331 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:10 PM

I think I will give PB Blaster a go -- I didn't even know about this stuff, but I don't do a lot of mechanical work.

#7 Jibbajaba OFFLINE  

Jibbajaba

River Patroller

• 3,974 posts
  • Editor - Classic Gaming Quarterly

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:50 PM

I'd start off with vinegar, personally.

Chris

#8 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 7,519 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:32 PM

If any product containing petroleum gets on any plastic -- you need to rub it off and wash the stuff real damned good.

#9 sqoon OFFLINE  

sqoon

Stargunner

• 1,094 posts

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:49 AM

If any product containing petroleum gets on any plastic -- you need to rub it off and wash the stuff real damned good.

Really depends on the plastic. Modern cars have all kinds of plastic parts under the hood, and they get oily all the time with no problems. But, yes, in video game consoles, petroleum-based products should not touch plastic anything.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users