IGNORED

KarinMaxiDrive - PCB

St(r)yker

A list of features and possible incompatibilities would be nice to know. I think that many of us aren't that familiar with the Karin Maxi and it may attract more people if the possibilities are known.

Things like:

How many mechanics can be used/connected simultaneously (2?)

What formats does it support?

Is there support for custom formats, like ways to read/write PC/Atari ST FAT12 formats?

Can a disk created on a stock XF551 be read and written when used with the Karin Maxi?

What about 1050 enhanced compatibility?

Can it share the PBI with a MIO and/or Black Box?

Stuff like that...

I'm not affiliated with this project, but I am somewhat familiar with the original (ca. 1995?) KMM. Assuming the basic features of the original design have been retained, the interface supports up to two drives (5.25" 360KB, 5.25" 720KB, or 3.5" 720KB in any combination). It reads and writes single, enhanced, and double density disks. It plays nice with SIO drives; in case of duplicate device numbers, the KMM takes precedence (corresponding SIO drive becomes "invisible" to the OS).

How many mechanics can be used/connected simultaneously (2?)

What formats does it support?

Is there support for custom formats' date=' like ways to read/write PC/Atari ST FAT12 formats?

Can a disk created on a stock XF551 be read and written when used with the Karin Maxi?

What about 1050 enhanced compatibility?

Can it share the PBI with a MIO and/or Black Box?

[/quote']

I supports two drives, either 3.5 or 5,25 or mixed.

Current firmware does not support 512BPS formats, but it will do in the near future (since SDX handles them ;)). I am currently working on a new firmware with some enhancements.

XF551 360kB format is not compatible with Karin's due to different layout of the second side. It writes a track on the first side, then the next track on the second side (I think for performance reasons). XF first writes all data on side 1, then goes to side 2.

1050 ED is fine, as well as SD in FM.

A hardware/software fix has been made during development of the Stryker's PCB that allows to use different PBI devices with Karin (it was not possible eariler). We have tested this with IDE+, IDEa, SIDE, but not with MIO or BlackBox.

Screen gets messed during Karin I/O operations because Antic is turned off not to skip the data which is provided by WD1772 (floppy controller).

You pay me.

In the next month topic creation of pre-order.

There will be four options.

1) PCB

2) The assembled PCB without WD

3) The assembled PCB

4) The assembled PCB + case Z-28 (for some people).

And hard to find parts:

- WD1772

- 16V8

- eprom

Prices will know in a month.

Hello guys

It should be possible to share the bus when using a BlackBox. It'll still not playing nice on the PBI, but at least you can share the bus. You shouldn't need too many parts for this. Unfortunately, I only heard it from a couple of guys, so I can't tell you more then this. Parts shouldn't cost more then 50 cents. One of those guys was one of the two people that developed the MSC-IDE interface and the other one is Dutch hardware developer who also was the president of the Dutch Atari User Group for a couple of years. When I talked to Bob Puff about this, he told me it should be possible. Only problem could be, that some software he wrote, somewhere in their code, would use more ID numbers (IIRC, might have been something else, like bits or something) then the stuff he thought he'ld used. (This telephone conversation as a couple of years ago and the stuff the other guys told me I heard years before that. So I might be wrong on some of the details.)

Mathy

The blackbox is not a "PBI compliant" device at all.. and without a firmware rewrite, you are dreaming if you think it will work with other PBI devices, Mathy.

The MIO ***MAY*** work ok with it, since it only "occupies" a few BUS IDs, of which #7 is not one of them... (But I seriously doubt it without firmware tweaking). You have to remember that both the MIO and the BlackBox were made in a time when hardware was extremely expensive and both were envisioned to be the ONLY device youd ever need plugged into the PBI bus..

Does anyone know What PBI bus ID is the IDE+ 2.0 set to?

Edited by MEtalGuy66

There is a group of solder pads on the IDE+ PCB in the corner near ECI and ATA connectors (Photo). A small resistor connects the rigthmost pair of the pads (for ID 0). You can move the resistor to any of the 8 pairs of pads defining the device ID.

Edited by trub
  • Like 1

There is a group of solder pads on the IDE+ PCB in the corner near ECI and ATA connectors (Photo). A small resistor connects the rigthmost pair of the pads (for ID 0). You can move the resistor to any of the 8 pairs of pads defining the device ID.

Great to know - thanks for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...