IGNORED

Star Castle (VIDEO) play-testers needed

iesposta

I think this game is looking great. Great work, Chris and all.

But I'm getting pretty tired of people who aren't able to praise this version without backhandedly bashing the other. Come on. There is room for more than one approach to the game and getting it out into the world. It's all good for the hobby and the life of our beloved 2600. If you don't want to buy Scott's, fine, but you don't need to keep commenting on it. Move along, move along.

Dont criticize the game...criticize the attitude...

I persist and sign!

But I'm getting pretty tired of people who aren't able to praise this version without backhandedly bashing the other.

I don't think anybody has criticized Scott's game.

Actually that would be quite impossible (and unfair) by now, since AFAIK nobody has been able to play it yet.

I think I meant they've been bashing the approach like this:

"goodenough for me

dont need to buy the other one

then

that is how homebrew should be done

free rom to try..."

It's just not needed.

It's just not needed.

A lot of things aren't needed. Video games aren't 'needed.' Hollywood movies aren't needed. Pizza with a hot dog inside of the crust isn't needed. Let people be free and express themselves however they want. If praising this version while spitting on the other "Holy crap, there is another version of the game that is better than mine! I'm going to lose money if I don't abandon my principles and go ahead and sell this thing to the public at a more affordable price!" version helps them to vent and feel a little better, then let them. Your whining isn't needed either, but you are free to do so.

On another subject, here are some possible names for this version:

Car Stastle

Fuzzball Frenzy

Chip Away

Energy Fortress

Rotation Station

Kill Cannon

Revolution Raider

Gyration Penetration

Sword of the Rings

• Like 3

It's just not needed.

A lot of things aren't needed. Video games aren't 'needed.' Hollywood movies aren't needed. Pizza with a hot dog inside of the crust isn't needed. Let people be free and express themselves however they want. If praising this version while spitting on the other "Holy crap, there is another version of the game that is better than mine! I'm going to lose money if I don't abandon my principles and go ahead and sell this thing to the public at a more affordable price!" version helps them to vent and feel a little better, then let them. Your whining isn't needed either, but you are free to do so.

On another subject, here are some possible names for this version:

Car Stastle

Fuzzball Frenzy

Chip Away

Energy Fortress

Rotation Station

Kill Cannon

Revolution Raider

Gyration Penetration

Sword of the Rings

Gyration Penetration has my vote! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

But I'm getting pretty tired of people who aren't able to praise this version without backhandedly bashing the other.

I don't think anybody has criticized Scott's game.

Actually that would be quite impossible (and unfair) by now, since AFAIK nobody has been able to play it yet.

Nobody? How about the person who posted the video of Scott's Star Castle....namely...ME!

Ahem....now...my reaction to the posting of THIS version of Star Castle coming outta nowhere...

HOLY CRAP! Someone else took this challenge on! Wonder what Scott thinks of this second version of the game to pop up?

He gave it a hats off!

Quote:

solidcorp has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?".

I haven't had a chance to play Chris's version yet but judging from the screenshots and the blog updates it looks FANTASTIC, he did some awesome stuff in that game and it's great that he shared it and blogged the process with everyone here. I've been really busy and haven't had a chance to get the new Stella to check it out since the early first ring demos (which were 11k ;) ).

There's no rivalry on my end. I said someone should make one in the other threads and these guys knocked it out of the park! We made different projects for what I can only assume assume are different reasons. I know I made mine alone in response to the HSW interviews to prove it could be done in 1981 in 8K then had some fun making the physical cartridge and box. I assume that Chris was looking for a new project, saw the demand and challenge in Star Castle after the hubbub surrounding my not sharing mine and decided to make a first class homebrew version. If there's any rivalry or animosity on his end I can't tell by his posts. He and his team made a sweet modern version (no games over 16k were released before 32 in 1 in 1988 and Fatal Run in 1989) with more features for the good people here on Atari Age (and Andrew Davie ;) ) Maybe Thomas could have squeezed a little more into my game, but there is no way I could fit that cool title screen, music, or the high score list. We

used the system in different ways and also made different design decisions and sacrifices that will differentiate the games game play.

Once again, hats off to you guys.

Scott

Endquote

Your whining isn't needed either, but you are free to do so.

Thanks for your permission. :dunce: Give me a break.

That had nothing to do with giving you permission. You are free to post what you want, just like the rest of us. And that's pretty funny coming from a person who was just telling other people what they were and weren't allowed to post as if you were king of the forums. We are all free to post want we want, within reason, with or without your permission.

• Like 2

Your whining isn't needed either, but you are free to do so.

Thanks for your permission. :dunce: Give me a break.

That had nothing to do with giving you permission. You are free to post what you want, just like the rest of us. And that's pretty funny coming from a person who was just telling other people what they were and weren't allowed to post as if you were king of the forums. We are all free to post want we want, within reason, with or without your permission.

I never tried to dictate what people could or couldn't say. Just said it wasn't necessary, but thanks for the civics lesson. My, you have your pants in a bunch. Maybe you need some yoga or deep breath exercises.

I like Star Castles my self because I kept calling the game that.

LOL! You probably referred to Montgomery Ward as Montgomery Wards too back in the day, didn't cha? :rolling:

I used to hear that all the time. Or just Wards or Monkey Wards. lol

Continuing the trend of obscure references, Star Castles in the Sky could be the Don McLean inspired name of the two-player cooperative sequel... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...