IGNORED

Interesting article on $60 games and their future

iswitt

Shit... Just reading all of this thread makes me want to stay away from modern gaming, and rightfully so.

I forgot about the DRM crap. AND the incomplete and buggy releases. Releases forced to happen just to make it for a certain holiday or calendar event or whatever. It's all the same, stuff is rushed to market. I think the core essence of what gaming is has been lost for some time now.

I also gotta add, that after watching new gamers. (new to the gaming industry that is). Their interest lies in 2 areas.

1-their school lessons on the PC in conjunction with homework. Believe it or not!

2-gaming on the smartphone. Games on smartphones are very very cheap and often made by small indie publishers. Not these multi-billion productions with big-name licenses. The kids just seem to suck up gaming on smartphones rather than be tied to a big-screen tv in the basement, with a cord.

Edited by Keatah

They are fascinated with the touch screen as opposed to buttons that need to be pressed. They intuitively take to the onscreen instructions and know just what to do. Perhaps it has something to do with the simpler games present on these devices.

But, then, this idea also applies to concert venues and nightspots. Oftentimes you'll see folks setting up network Scrabble or other impromptu games while waiting for the show to begin, or waiting out the boring opening act.

So this seems to be the new mode of gaming, for the youngsters and oldsters alike. I couldn't imagine, other than for retrogaming, being tied to a console.

• Like 1

There fixed that.. to be more family appropriate..

Now! I recall my neices (and friend's) nephews getting all riled up because we were going to Best Buy to get electronic stuff. And let me tell you, they hung out in the tablet section and smartphone section and groaned when they found out we were just getting wii games or pc stuff. PS3 and XBOX were non-contenders. It is the young kids that will lead the future, and the future is in tablets and smartphones.

And even their first exposure to any sort of real gaming, was their choice, a smartphone. This is something the industry cannot MUST NOT ignore. A kid's attention span, as we all know, is quite short. Going from one thing to the next in the blink of an eye. Smartphones (or tablets) are perfect for this, consoles cannot compete. And most certainly $60 games with long storylines, that's just outta the picture.

A bad side of this is that we are producing a generation of twitch gamers, none of like the world has seen before. This type of behavior is going to effect judgment on major decisions later. I've heard that over and over and over in various gaming articles.

Anyhow.. there's plenty of engaging games on these pocket computers. With so many other distractions going on in today's world, and so much other stuff to do. Chaining yourself to console, that's so 80's!! Pardon the jibe if you will.

The image of 2 people sitting in-front of a TV, with wired controllers.. That's just so 80's and stereotypical of that era. REAL modern gaming is nothing like that at all. Even jamming on a keyboard and mouse is "more modern"..

Edited by Keatah

OTH. A dedicated console (or high-power PC) connected to a Harmon Kardon and big screen, and running some sort of simulation software..well that's entirely different. PROVIDED PROVIDED! You have the right game that you can get totally engrossed in. This is more of the rich-adult thing than the run-of-the-mill casual gamer. This is a specialized experience, of which kids have almost no interest in. To youngsters - Angry Birds sure as hell beats X-plane hands down, every single time.

I would personally put the amount of high quality console games at about 10-20%, the other 80-90% is garbagey time-wasting stuff.

So that's it!

We need a cheap touch screen, LCD display that has some hardware / software (sardware?) to make it easy to interface to retro systems.

I'm actually serious. That's a brilliant observation Keatah. Been wanting a reason to get one of those things to play with. A micro-controller connected to it, for the purpose of distilling the touch screen data into a form that works on a controller port would make perfect sense, if that's needed at all. Maybe it's not.

VCS "Angry Birds" anyone?

Edited by potatohead

Physics type games are really fun. They have a lot in common with retro, where simple game mechanics make the experience. Some simulation type games are a LOT OF WORK to enjoy. A physics game is work too, but a different kind of work --a lot like retro work.

Funny too, my own kids gaming played out a lot like has been mentioned here. The $6.99 "Peggle" from Pop Cap got as much play, as a more expensive war sim did. And the benchmark for that in our family, SSX, gets play no matter what, though we don't currently have the original, for lack of a PS2. (I need to fix that, big.)

• 3 weeks later...

"Some games aren't as long or offer less value than other $60 games," McElroy argues, "and would be better served at a lower price point. When you say 'every game is going to be $60,' you put a requirement of length and graphical quality that's really restraining. If I wanted to release an amazing 4-hour game to retail, it would be impossible."

i'm sure some companies would love to release cheaper retail games and know that they can't justify charging $60, however they don't want the stench of 'budget game' all over their release. personally i have nothing against budget games, i love them. in my experience the ones i've played usually offer concepts or plots that interest me, far moreso than big budget AAA titles. i don't need cutting edge graphics and gameplay and for say $30, i wouldn't give 2 poops if a game were only a handful of hours long. however that $60 comes with a 'hey, i'd better get my money's worth'.

Edited by xg4bx

"Some games aren't as long or offer less value than other $60 games," McElroy argues, "and would be better served at a lower price point. When you say 'every game is going to be $60,' you put a requirement of length and graphical quality that's really restraining. If I wanted to release an amazing 4-hour game to retail, it would be impossible."

i'm sure some companies would love to release cheaper retail games and know that they can't justify charging $60, however they don't want the stench of 'budget game' all over their release. personally i have nothing against budget games, i love them. in my experience the ones i've played usually offer concepts or plots that interest me, far moreso than big budget AAA titles. i don't need cutting edge graphics and gameplay and for say $30, i wouldn't give 2 poops if a game were only a handful of hours long. however that $60 comes with a 'hey, i'd better get my money's worth'.

Obviously he hadn't heard of "The Darkness II".