IGNORED

Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. for the ADAM questions

Matt Ellis

Hey guys, I happened upon a copy each of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. cassettes for the Coleco ADAM in the little cardboard arcade cabinet boxes. I've heard a lot of interesting trivia on these and know a lot about the history and why they're less than common.

Basically what I'm curious about here is just how rare these things are? In my internet searching I only found one guy with a Donkey Kong Jr. box (no game) and a few people with the games but no boxes. I have the complete set for both games and I'm stumped as to how big a deal this is. I'll get some pics up in a bit.

Anybody have any know-how on this?

They are pretty rare CIB I have all 3 Donkey Kong, DK jr, and Zaxxon. NIAD has them currently listed as R7 but said he plans to revise that to most likely a R8. I have never seen one up on ebay so its hard to say what the current value is without that happening. My hope is that hopefully some homebrew Colecovision games will come out with this type of box. I want a whole shelf of them, it would be like a mini arcade room :lust: :thumbsup: I love them and I think they are the only games in history that have every came out in a arcade style box. Which blows my mind! Here are a few pics of mine:

post-27857-0-48328900-1335134548_thumb.jpg post-27857-0-84559700-1335134566_thumb.jpg

Edited by RelliK111

Hey guys, I happened upon a copy each of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. cassettes for the Coleco ADAM in the little cardboard arcade cabinet boxes. I've heard a lot of interesting trivia on these and know a lot about the history and why they're less than common.

Basically what I'm curious about here is just how rare these things are? In my internet searching I only found one guy with a Donkey Kong Jr. box (no game) and a few people with the games but no boxes. I have the complete set for both games and I'm stumped as to how big a deal this is. I'll get some pics up in a bit.

I also have both the DK & DK Jr. Rellik and I are the only ones I've seen comment as to having them besides you. They are definitely unique and it's a shame other games weren't released in the same style boxes. Congrats on the find!

• Like 1

I saw DK & DK Jr for sale on ebay a few times in 2006-7. I passed them up at the time because I already had the DDP's. I haven't seen them for sale since then.

I haven't seen anyone mention this before, but on the back of the Donkey Kong Junior box there are screenshots of all 4 screens. Look at the still photo of the video below. The descriptions under the bottom 2 screenshots are mixed up! Video is from AA's 65Gamerguy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHrqUDuL2Qs

Edited by ed1475
  • Like 2

I also have both the DK & DK Jr. Rellik and I are the only ones I've seen comment as to having them besides you. They are definitely unique and it's a shame other games weren't released in the same style boxes. Congrats on the find!

I listed and sold 3 Super Zaxxon sealed in 2010/2011 on Ebay. I got between $32 to over $100 for them, odd that the one in worst shape sold for the most $

The guy who bought the one that bid up over $100 left me a neutral rating because he unsealed the box (??) and found the plastic cassette case cracked.

Huh?

Edited by coleconut

Thanks for all the responses! Glad to know people know of it and it's somewhat sought after. I'm still looking for a value, but I am not in any rush to sell it or anything. They're awesome pieces to just have in our display, and I'd hate to have seller's remorse!

Here's a picture:

post-32699-0-83716700-1335468352_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the responses! Glad to know people know of it and it's somewhat sought after. I'm still looking for a value, but I am not in any rush to sell it or anything. They're awesome pieces to just have in our display, and I'd hate to have seller's remorse!

Here's a picture:

If you ever want to sell/trade them, please let me know

I'm still missing them :(

Having them will lead me to make hombrews in this format :)

• Like 1

Here's a picture:

That would be awesome! Drop me a message and we can talk. I've already got one offer I'm pretty happy with but homebrew is certainly an added bonus!

• Like 1

Here's a picture:

That would be awesome! Drop me a message and we can talk. I've already got one offer I'm pretty happy with but homebrew is certainly an added bonus!

Go with JF! Believe me it would be so cool to have this style on some homebrew games, and if he has those in his collection staring at him all day he will make it happen! :grin: :thumbsup:

Those CIBs are so addicting!!!

Actually Relik, I was the lucky purchaser of these two and they will complete my Arcade Cabinet box trifecta. Fortunately J-F was able to acquire two of the three thru other means so they will be "staring at him all day" as well.

Cool! Jim got them! :D :thumbsup:

Yep! , I was LUCKY because my dear friend, Pixelboy , contacted me and sold me Zaxxon & DKjr :thumbsup:

Luc,. Thanks again, I do REALLY appreciate! :)

Now, aiming for Donkey Kong :twisted:

• Like 1

Actually Relik, I was the lucky purchaser of these two and they will complete my Arcade Cabinet box trifecta. Fortunately J-F was able to acquire two of the three thru other means so they will be "staring at him all day" as well.

Cool! Jim got them! :D :thumbsup:

Yep! , I was LUCKY because my dear friend, Pixelboy , contacted me and sold me Zaxxon & DKjr :thumbsup:

Luc,. Thanks again, I do REALLY appreciate! :)

Now, aiming for Donkey Kong :twisted:

Sounds good just don't aim at me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now lets make some Arcade Style Homebrew Colecovision boxes!!!!!!!

Who's with me on this!!! :jango: :thumbsup:

Congratulations on getting the Trifecta!!!!!!! I know you have been looking for those for a while ;-) :thumbsup:

• 4 years later...

Guess I will give a rebirth to this thread, but curious if anyone has any of these boxes for sale, or if there are repro available? Would be cool to have...just curious!!

Throughout all the collecting I've been doing over the past year and a half I've only seen them come up once. DK/DKJR in one auctions and the Zaxxon in another. Oddly enough, though, they both appeared (from different sellers across the globe) within a few weeks of each other. So when it rains it pours?

Absolutely no way to play ADAM disk or ddp image files thru the AtariMax cart.

Hopefully in the coming months, MilliV will release his Adam Virtual Drive which will connect a PC to the Adam thru a USB port. It is a hardware and software solution for using these image files stored on a PC with the Adam...so watch for further news on this one.

Edited by NIAD

That cable would be a heckuva thing. I have the 5 screen version of Donkey Kong Junior on my hard drive but no way of playing it.

While it's not the same, you could play it using one of the ADAM emulators such as ADAMem, Virtual ADAM with ADAMem, M.E.S.S. or CoolCV. It would be great to finally see an ADAM SD Drive solution developed, but the virtual drive solution (called AViD) will be a very welcome addition.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...