PowerPack - What Adapter to use?

17 replies to this topic

#1 woolfman OFFLINE  

woolfman

Chopper Commander

• 123 posts

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:48 AM

Hello Members,

another question: I just received this PowerPack for Lynx II. Since there isn´t a charger coming with it....could I use a power adapter to charge it?

I am not sure about the plug...is the center tip of the pack + or - ? What current/voltage would the power adapter need to be of?

Thanks,
Wolf

Attached Thumbnails

• 5815750.jpg

#2 gambler172 OFFLINE  

gambler172

River Patroller

• 2,523 posts
  • none

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:05 AM

Hi Wolf
I use a normal universal adapter.This works really great.I am not really sure,but i think,it needs 9 VOLT.The VOLT number can be changed with the adapter,i have.
greetings Walter

#3 woolfman OFFLINE  

woolfman

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 123 posts

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:30 PM

Hi Wolf
I use a normal universal adapter.This works really great.I am not really sure,but i think,it needs 9 VOLT.The VOLT number can be changed with the adapter,i have.
greetings Walter

Hey,
Do you know 9V FOR SURE, or is this just a guess? I don´t wanna blow the pack...

Do you know by any chance, what polarity the plug needs to be?

Thanks,
Wolf

#4 the.golden.ax OFFLINE  

the.golden.ax

Tear down this temple

• 12,424 posts
  • I'll rebuild it in 3 days

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:39 PM

If that thing still holds a charge, I'd be very extremely surprised. They had a limited shelf life. They can be retrofit with more modern batteries. Then they will work with whatever charger the modder provides.

#5 Battlezone OFFLINE  

Battlezone

Moonsweeper

• 386 posts

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:00 PM

I use the orginal Atari Lynx psu and it's 9V 1A

#6 woolfman OFFLINE  

woolfman

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 123 posts

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:22 PM

#

Thanks. And what polarity has the plug?

#7 karri OFFLINE  

karri

Stargunner

• 1,433 posts

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:05 PM

The Lynx is actually regulating it down to 5V. My power-adapter at home feeds 6V DC to the Lynx. The difference between 5V and whatever you feed the cat becomes heat.

The shield of the plug is grounded and the center is positive.

(-)------C-----(+)

The strange thing with the Lynx is that when the power is off the Lynx electronics is hanging at +5V. When you press Power On it will connect the Lynx to the ground! This is the reason why shorting minus to the headphone ground powers up the Lynx.

The power regulating components are total crap. They waste energy, break easily and take with them most of the chips on the motherboard.
--
Karri

#8 Battlezone OFFLINE  

Battlezone

Moonsweeper

• 386 posts

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:08 PM

It's positive. - c +
You can see it in the picture.

Attached Thumbnails

• lynxadpt.JPG

#9 GadgetUK OFFLINE  

GadgetUK

Stargunner

• 1,367 posts

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:50 AM

Good description karri, never thought about running it on 6v to reduce heat. Its also got me wondering if its ever a good idea to just leave batteries in it - ever...

Walter, you didnt work at RIVA did you?

#10 woolfman OFFLINE  

woolfman

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 123 posts

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:18 PM

Do I get this right - you use the PSU for CHARGING the Powerpack? Is that true? Because this is the main question here...

#11 Moya Jackie OFFLINE  

Moya Jackie

Star Raider

• 57 posts

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:29 PM

I also recently bought two of these Power Paks. I used my Lynx AC adapter to charge it for the full 12 hours. I waited patiently all day, and after the time was up I plugged it into my Lynx II and played a game. After about twenty minutes the power light started flashing, and it wasn't long after when the battery was completely drained.

I was pretty disappointed, because it's a neat looking accessory and more comfortable for me since the regular 6-D battery pack is too huge to clip onto my skirt and I don't wear pants and my handbag is like a small pouch. I'm interested to know how to change the battery inside the Power Pak with a new one.

#12 the.golden.ax OFFLINE  

the.golden.ax

Tear down this temple

• 12,424 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:14 AM

As I said, they seldom actually work still. You want to modernize it with some sort of lithium battery. Something from a Sony Camera (infolithium) works great. It isn't just an off the shelf drop in type of thing. It's more of a Ben Heck, Junk Yard Wars, find a good deal on items that will fit and go to town modding your packs. It is highly possible, and with great results. Some people have gone as far as to put the infollithium batteries right inside their handheld consoles. All depends on your skill level, how much work you want to put in to it, or if you can talk a modder in to taking up the challenge.

#13 woolfman OFFLINE  

woolfman

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 123 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:40 PM

Now for something completely different :)

Can I use the power pack without taking the batteries out of the Lynx? Is there some sort of circuit that switches inside the lynx when the power pack is too low on energy?

Has anyone had experience in this direction?

#14 the.golden.ax OFFLINE  

the.golden.ax

Tear down this temple

• 12,424 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:31 PM

It would only work the other direction. Play the Lynx until the batteries start going, then plug the dongle for the power pack in to the jack.

AX

#15 woolfman OFFLINE  

woolfman

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 123 posts

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:19 AM

So the Lynx would die from overload when I plug the pak in before the power of the batteries drops?

#16 the.golden.ax OFFLINE  

the.golden.ax

Tear down this temple

• 12,424 posts

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:21 AM

So the Lynx would die from overload when I plug the pak in before the power of the batteries drops?

No, not at all. It would be just like plugging it in to the wall outlet with an AC adapter since you are plugging the battery pack in to the AC adapter jack. It automatically shuts down the use of the batteries.

#17 woolfman OFFLINE  

woolfman

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 123 posts

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:39 AM

Oh well, that´s clever. I always removed the batteries before plugging in the wall adapter, because I was afraid too much voltage would destroy the Lynx... :)

#18 woolfman OFFLINE  

woolfman

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 123 posts

Posted Wed May 2, 2012 1:25 AM

I also recently bought two of these Power Paks. I used my Lynx AC adapter to charge it for the full 12 hours. I waited patiently all day, and after the time was up I plugged it into my Lynx II and played a game. After about twenty minutes the power light started flashing, and it wasn't long after when the battery was completely drained.

This happened all the same with me on the first charge. I recycled mine (which is also new and had never been used before) in the meantime for the 3rd time, and it is now up to 2 hours of continuos operation. NiCads get better the more often you recharge them (10 hours in my case, 9V/500mAh) fully and use them until they lose power. I think they could probably get close to 4 hours, maybe even more...will try the next few days :)

Edited by woolfman, Wed May 2, 2012 1:26 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users