Photo

Berzerk World Record Attempt Live This Saturday!

Keilbaca Fights Like A ROBOT!

127 replies to this topic

#51 flammingcowz OFFLINE  

flammingcowz

Moonsweeper

• 465 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:45 PM

Combining the first game and this one, he would be close to beating the record. If only it hadn't glitched the first time

#52 Ataritard OFFLINE  

Ataritard

Moonsweeper

• 288 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:46 PM

...Coming up on the score that glitched the first time. I've got my fingers crossed that it doesn't glitch. If it does, I hope he takes the game out, puts it on the table, and smashes it!

#53 flammingcowz OFFLINE  

flammingcowz

Moonsweeper

• 465 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:56 PM

He passed the score it glitched at last time

#54 bennybingo OFFLINE  

bennybingo

Quadrunner

• 6,206 posts
  • Wasting my life...one Shatner at a time.

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:27 PM

2nd attempt...1/2 million and climbing!!! Go Keilbaca! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#55 SlowCoder OFFLINE  

SlowCoder

River Patroller

• 3,686 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:09 PM

An hour and a half later. What's the score/status?

#56 flammingcowz OFFLINE  

flammingcowz

Moonsweeper

• 465 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:16 PM

590k 5h 34min into second attempt

#57 kane OFFLINE  

kane

Moonsweeper

• 342 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:20 PM

Looking good! :thumbsup:

I'm used to playing the PAL version, and straight away I noticed how much faster the NTSC version plays, even the extra life sound plays fast...

#58 VectorGamer OFFLINE  

VectorGamer

Go Sleep In the Cold

• Topic Starter
  • 14,787 posts
  • \m/

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:58 PM

http://www.retrocade...ne.com/live.htm

666K after 6hrs 16min.

Follow Retrocade Magazine on Facebook and Twitter I'm posting status updates there

#59 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Fallen Moderator

• 27,124 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:54 PM

Something happened. I looked up and it had reset on him.

#60 Ataritard OFFLINE  

Ataritard

Moonsweeper

• 288 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:04 PM

Dude... that sucks. So close too. Feel for ya bro.

#61 bennybingo OFFLINE  

bennybingo

Quadrunner

• 6,206 posts
  • Wasting my life...one Shatner at a time.

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:10 PM

I am so bummed for ya.

it was an amazing run tho ...both of em.

#62 HatNJ OFFLINE  

HatNJ

Stargunner

• 1,496 posts
  • When Im on Im on when Im off Im WAY off

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:19 PM

Yeah it was a Great run

What a shame with in 50.000 or so but he believes he knows how to avoid it next time but after close to 8
hours straight and only 1 break to use bathroom Can't blame him for wanting to shut down relax go out or whatever to unwind from such a feet

#63 Emehr OFFLINE  

Emehr

River Patroller

• 4,209 posts
  • Happiness is... a chomping Pac-Man!

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:19 PM

What happened? Game glitch? I walked away from the stream for a few minutes and came back to no feed. :( Still, considering this run was a restart of a previous 4-hour run, well, that's worthy of an endurance award or something.

#64 keilbaca OFFLINE  

keilbaca

Fight like a robot!

• 7,736 posts
  • Berzerk (Atari 2600) champ

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:23 PM

17 min glitch. I was walking around, stopped to shoot a robot, then the game hard reset.

Stream capture right before the glitch.

It was my first true marathon. Interesting time, pretty happy with how it turned out, all things considered. I am SO glad everyone wanted me to see a second run. It really got me into giving it another shot.

Thank you everyone for tuning in, its been fun. Till next time :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Berzerk 761070.png

#65 Jinks OFFLINE  

Jinks

River Patroller

• 4,421 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:24 PM

What happened? Game glitch? I walked away from the stream for a few minutes and came back to no feed. :( Still, considering this run was a restart of a previous 4-hour run, well, that's worthy of an endurance award or something.

or insanity!!

#66 kane OFFLINE  

kane

Moonsweeper

• 342 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:43 PM

17 min glitch. I was walking around, stopped to shoot a robot, then the game hard reset.

I most definitely could be wrong, but I'm not convinced about this time glitch thing. I think I remember Zimmerman saying that after his million game he left the game sitting and it didn't reset for around 20 minutes, so doesn't really make sense, unless rolling the score cleared the time back to zero too. Watching you play, you were flying through the levels, I wouldn't have thought it would have been an issue.

#67 Ataritard OFFLINE  

Ataritard

Moonsweeper

• 288 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:12 PM

Is this how the current record holder's game ended?

#68 nofrills100 OFFLINE  

nofrills100

River Patroller

• 3,075 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:27 PM

Well done anyhow! For sure you'll crack it next marathon.

:thumbsup:

#69 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 15,375 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:34 PM

So disheartening. But kielbaca clearly has the skills! Way to go, brother!

Can't wait for your next go!

#70 BadHornet OFFLINE  

BadHornet

Dragonstomper

• 832 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:10 PM

Great job.........you've left robots quivering in fear for months!

#71 keilbaca OFFLINE  

keilbaca

Fight like a robot!

• 7,736 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:33 PM

I most definitely could be wrong, but I'm not convinced about this time glitch thing. I think I remember Zimmerman saying that after his million game he left the game sitting and it didn't reset for around 20 minutes, so doesn't really make sense, unless rolling the score cleared the time back to zero too. Watching you play, you were flying through the levels, I wouldn't have thought it would have been an issue.

THAT part I don't get. I took hardly any breaks at all, killed off all my lives as best I could so the lives glitch didn't happen again, and the game resets on me. What's even weirder is that Tim McVey wanted to do a run, but the berzerk game he has resets after 70k. I wonder if it has something to do with the clock that is installed in the Atari. I certainly don't think that Atari would have made several different versions of the ROM.

It also appears that it does happen to be random. I remember firing up the game on my harmony cart to originally test out the timing issue. One game was 17 to 20 min, or longer. I hit reset, and the next was closer to 10 min. That part was really, really weird to me. I wonder if the time spent in attract mode before you hit reset has to do with the timing at all. :/

I'll have to do some sit down dry runs, letting the game sit, and see if it does. It could also change by the model of the Atari, as mine is a sears video arcade II, even though it has its own different chips, it is a different, newer revision of the atari than most. I wish I still had my heavy sixer to test to see if there is a difference in timing when hitting reset, to the time it glitches out, compared to the Sears. I'd hate to call Zimmerman a liar, but based off of how fast I was flying through the levels, it kinda puts a little bit of question into both his score, and especially that statement.

There's a lot of things going on here that I'd like answers too. I played a damn near perfect game as far as time wise was concerned.

Youtube video coming up.

#72 atari2600land OFFLINE  

atari2600land

Channel F Viewer

• 11,468 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:35 PM

Glitch or not, kudos for you being able to play it for 7 hours straight. I tried just because I was curious and couldn't get past the 5 minute mark! WTF do you do when it generates a robot very close to you and it shoots at you right after you notice it's there? That part I don't get.

#73 keilbaca OFFLINE  

keilbaca

Fight like a robot!

• 7,736 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:38 PM

Glitch or not, kudos for you being able to play it for 7 hours straight. I tried just because I was curious and couldn't get past the 5 minute mark! WTF do you do when it generates a robot very close to you and it shoots at you right after you notice it's there? That part I don't get.

At the 5 min mark, they're not that fast yet, so I am able to dodge it. It also depends how you go through the maze. I always went down to up, it led to the most options when the next maze kicked in, and it led to the least deaths when trapped due to enemies shooting at you that's barely a pixel above the maze line. You have some really crappy spawn kills, but those are few and far between.

EDIT: And thank you :) I can't help but wonder, if I had not taken that bathroom break, if I would have beaten the record. :/

Edited by keilbaca, Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:38 PM.

#74 keilbaca OFFLINE  

keilbaca

Fight like a robot!

• 7,736 posts

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:02 AM

Is this how the current record holder's game ended?

I have no idea. I need to give Todd a call.

The reset was a completely different reset from the lives glitch. When I did the lives glitch, the bullet fired through the end of the maze and wrapped around, like it would if you held in fire right before the exit and it looped around the other side. The 17 min glitch rest the game completely, and the only way I could get the final score was from reviewing the recorded video.

#75 nofrills100 OFFLINE  

nofrills100

River Patroller

• 3,075 posts

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:15 AM

I can't help but wonder, if I had not taken that bathroom break, if I would have beaten the record. :/

Adult daipers next time ;)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users