IGNORED

8bit Pac-man "Arcade" - Final Version - Accepting Orders

tep392

• 3 weeks later...

is there any chance of getting this on 5 1/4 floppy?

if not... I would love to purchase the cart... please let me know ... (floppy preferred:))

hmm,

you can diy: download the XEX file from post nr. 1 and put it onto a diskette (use a DOS, Gamedos or Bootloader to load it).

Or do you want the game on a disk with a colourfull label and the author`s signature as well as a manual and package ?!?

-Andreas Koch.

Thank you, thank you, thank you creator of this excellent Pacman and also thank you MrFish for your graphics.

Most fun I have had with my Atari in a long time.

You have no idea how many joysticks will likely be consumed as I play this for years to come.

• Like 2

I have one of the Pac-Man remake cartridges and it is one of my favorite games.

But has anyone seen the same issue I have; yesterday I had it running on my Atari 400 most of Thanksgiving Day, and when I powered it on this morning, the high score has reset to "UUUUUU0"?

Game is still playable, but its annoying.

But has anyone seen the same issue I have; yesterday I had it running on my Atari 400 most of Thanksgiving Day, and when I powered it on this morning, the high score has reset to "UUUUUU0"?

I don't know if it was the same issue, but my high score got corrupted once too. I just reset it.

Edited by MrFish

UUUUUU0 would indicate that the 3 high score bytes are FF FF FF. This would happen if the flash memory was erased but not re-programmed. It sounds like you noticed this after powering up the game. Did you notice if the high score was corrupted before you shut down the previous day? Had you set a new high score recently? I should add some code to check for a corrupted high score on power up and reset it if needed.

hmm,

you can diy: download the XEX file from post nr. 1 and put it onto a diskette (use a DOS, Gamedos or Bootloader to load it).

Or do you want the game on a disk with a colourfull label and the author`s signature as well as a manual and package ?!?

-Andreas Koch.

CharlieChaplin, I was one of the first customers and the cartridge and label were first-rate, but it was just a slick (I think) instruction sheet and there was no box, though of course if something comes through the mail there is a "package." I don't think mine was signed, but Tep392 numbered the cart (I think at my request) and that was really cool.

Pac-Man Arcade is a great great retro development and worth way more than the $35 Tep392 charges. It's up there with Castle Crisis.

It's an interesting proposition that some customers like a professional-seeming diskette as opposed to a cartridge. Tep392 could do that too if he is not too busy, and it would probably be inexpensiver. A nice shiny labeled diskette, the instruction sheet, maybe a Zip-Loc bag like APX used to do.

• 9 months later...

Update - I've updated the game files in the 1st post. I fixed a sound bug in the XEX version and the .bin is the full shipping version. Flash it to a 1mbit Atarimax maxflash cart for the full game with high score save.

I still sell official carts by request as well.

Regards,

Perry

• Like 7

Did you also fix (or found) that Hi-Score bug (where the write process is disturbed in someway that the hi score changes into UUUUUU or something like that).

Thanks anyway,

It's a great port, and it is very nice that you released the complete version for free!

I could never get it to occure with my cart. That score means the flash memory containing the score was cleared to FF FF FF and not set to the new score. It's possible that the high score write routine was interupted. I could add some code to check the score and attempt to re-write it, but that assumes the cause is a failed write. I don't really want to make any changes at this point since it doesn't seem to be a wide spread problem. The solution to getting rid of the UUUUUU score is to reset the high score as described in the instructions.

• 2 weeks later...

hi Tep392,

Now you have released this conversion for free, do you mind when I release my conversion for AtariMax MyIDE ][?

I converted the AtariMax 1Mbit file to .R16 format, so MyIDE 2 users can enjoy the cartridge version (Except for saving hi-score).

If you do not want me to release that, i won't do it… so please let me know.

• 1 month later...

I'm a little confused here. The bin file only works on the 1mbit Atarimax flash cart and not the 8mbit? I'm thinking of getting a flash cart, but I'm confused on which one to get. I noticed the site for a couple of flash carts like The!Cart lists the price in Euros, but doesn't list the shipping. There isn't anything like the 2600 Harmony cart for the A800 that uses SD cards and recognizes multiple bankswitch schemes?

Nice job on this hack. I tried it in on the Atari800 emulator and like it much better than the original A800 Pac-Man.

Edited by BrianC

What you -indeed- need is a 1Mbit AtariMax Flashcard, or The!Cart (which can also 'play' the 1Mbit AtariMax Flash files)

One thing though: the Hi-Score save feature only works on AtariMax 1Mbit.

This game is not compatible with the 8Mbit flash cards!

And if interested: if you have a MyIDE ][ interface. I converted the .BIN file to MyIDE ][ .R16 format.

You still can not save hi-score then, but for the rest it is 100% compatible.

Edited by ProWizard
  • Like 1