IGNORED

Does anyone make reproduction overlays?

goldenegg

You know, this piece of news combined with the disassembly and analysis of Utopia by intvnut makes me think that perhaps I should have a set of Utopia overlays produced.

Not that all this will prompt me to do a CV version of Utopia any earlier than I had planned (I do still want to do BasicVision first) but with this disassembly now available, I'd say the odds of me doing Utopia some day has greatly increased. So I could have the overlays done right now, in preparation... :)

Very excellent news indeed! The cross pollination of my two favourite consoles! Yay! I really hope you get a chance to make this one Luc, as Utopia was always one of my favourite INTV games. :)

Very nice! :)

So what are the dimensions of the image template you're using? Just curious...

Thanks.

I used the James Carter layout (Naid posted in this thread above) for sizing. I've already adjust things a little (size wise) to work best for my production method. Is there a particular template you feel must be used instead?

Very nice! :)

So what are the dimensions of the image template you're using? Just curious...

Thanks.

I used the James Carter layout (Naid posted in this thread above) for sizing. I've already adjust things a little (size wise) to work best for my production method. Is there a particular template you feel must be used instead?

When I had some overlays printed on mylar by eColeco.com, they gave me a precise template, which I used. The template is 745 x 895 pixels, somewhat bigger than the James Carter standard. Can you work with that? :)

When I had some overlays printed on mylar by eColeco.com, they gave me a precise template, which I used. The template is 745 x 895 pixels, somewhat bigger than the James Carter standard. Can you work with that? :)

That must be at 300 dpi (I'm using 600 dpi). My reason for saying that is, my template pixels are 1500 x 1788 (using 600 dpi). In 300 dpi mode I'm at 750 x 894 pixels. Really close to your dimensions. My template seems to be a very good fit for the controller.

That must be at 300 dpi (I'm using 600 dpi). My reason for saying that is, my template pixels are 1500 x 1788 (using 600 dpi). In 300 dpi mode I'm at 750 x 894 pixels. Really close to your dimensions. My template seems to be a very good fit for the controller.

So I could pretty much give you my overlay images and you'd print them as-is. That's very good to know. Now it's all a question of printing costs. Can you give us a quote on that? :)

Also, do you handle cutting via mechanical means? Cutting rounded corners with cisors can give rather random results...

Also, do you handle cutting via mechanical means? Cutting rounded corners with cisors can give rather random results...

I don't use scissors. I have a precision cutting board, rounded corner dies, and sometime I even use metal rulers and X-acto blades from time to time. The cutting would be of the same quality of my trading cards and cart labels. Please keep in mind that I will not be putting rounded corners on the pull tabs of the overlays. You can see how the overlays will look from this picture (again this is my test label, but it is cut the same way I will cut other CV overlays):

post-9874-0-43667700-1336673261_thumb.jpg

I really do considers these to be replace overlays and not reproductions. These are not made like the originals and have a slightly different feel to them.

I've ordered some for Intellivision from eBay. I also messaged him about about colecovision and he sounds like he'd be interested but needed originals to work with so he could redo them.

I sent him a link of where to get them.

I'll post my impressions of his work for intellivision when they get here from England!

• 3 months later...