IGNORED

I was in an Atari Coma for decades

smagnotta

OK, so the last time I was really into Atari 8 bit computers was 1986. I have an 800, and 130 XE. The things actually still work, along with 5 /14 inch disks I made in 1984. I was wondering what (new) finished products exist for these machines? I saw an SIO2SD interface among other things. Could someone reply with advice/info and links on how to purchase such things? I did a search on some of them in this forum and didn't receive anything concrete. The only thing I saw were items from Atari Max (a web site even exists).

...Appreciated.

-old Atari geezer.

welcome back, I know you are not a noob, but this topic has loads of info regarding SD storage, RAM upgrades, video upgrades etc etc.

It is a really exciting time to be into Atari home computers right now :)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/176545-topic-for-newbies/page__p__2205197__hl__topic%20for%20noobs__fromsearch__1#entry2205197

Yeah, welcome back. I was in the same boat until 2007-ish. Seems the later you re-join, the better the more new stuff there is. Conclusion: It's always a good time to re-join the Atari community! Frankly, I can't understand those guys I knew (sorta still know but don't talk to much anymore) who used to be on the Atari scene (in a big way, bigger than I anyway) and who aren't interested anymore. Tried to repatriate a couple of guys and felt I'd be wasting my time. I guess this has to be your hobby, or one of them, anyway.

50 years from now, there won't be anyone left living who remembered these machines. Looks like we're in the zenith of it, right now.

• Like 1

I'd been thinking about middle age and the age of my Atari(s) recently, and how I planned on keeping one up and running my entire life. Ane how it would be if I lived another 40 or 50 years, and showing off my antique electronics to young relatives (I have no kids of my own-yet), like great great nephews or something in the year 2050 or 2060. But then I remember that I think civilization is going to fall long before that, and my Atari might actually be a technilogical amazement to youngster of how amazing the world once was...before the fall...and how we'll sit around the fire and i'll tell MadMax like legends of the world and arcades and theatres, and then go start up my generator and crank up the old Atari to the amazement of all.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

Hi Smagnotta-

There have been lots of new products developed over the past several years, but most are short runs by developers/hobbyists. Some of the really popular ones are "re-run" but for most part, when they are gone, they're gone. Depending on where you live (always a good idea to at least fill in the country on your AtariAge profile), you may find other hobbyists that will build new products for a small fee. Since we are now a world-wide group, we "speak" all degrees of English. I mention this because it can act as a barrier to getting answers to questions from some developers. This is generally not a big issue.

Here are some recommendations that are still available, based on my own preferences:

The IDE+2 hard disk system. Small, fast, flexible, well-designed with excellent control software. IMO, "the best of the best.":

http://www.lotharek....duct.php?pid=35

You might also be interested in an SIO2SD available from the same person:

http://www.lotharek....duct.php?pid=23

APE -- the most excellent peripheral emulator, assuming that you have a PC handy to use with your Atari.

http://www.atarimax.com

Note: AspeQt is a very good, similar, relatively recent entry. It has a few less features, but is free, and is a bit more flexible as to hardware conversions interfaces. It has a new "champion" who has added new features.

Stay tuned for the Karin MaxiDrive. Read about it here:

http://www.atariage....nmaxidrive-pcb/

And lots more possible "homes" for your money... ;) I'm sure you'll get more replies with suggestions.

-Larry

"Were you surprised at the distinctive lack of personal jet packs?"

--Nice. Actually, I was surprised there were no flying cars yet. And surprised Atari has somehow survived throughout the years in one form or another. Now they just produce games for Apple (iPad, iTouch, etc), and were on Facebook with the Pepsi Throwback (I actually won a FlashBack 2+ system for getting a high score on Yar's Revenge -- I had 9 guys left and killed them all off around 1 million points). Yes, old Atari geek. I found a great Atari sales shop called "Best Electronics".

Thanks everyone for the great information and links. It will take some time for me to sift through all of it.

Off topic for this forum: I saw that Curt Vendell (responsible for the Flashback systems) has produced an XM upgrade for the 7800 and is starting a new company -- I believe it's the name Bushnell first used when he created Atari. My wife bought a T-shirt for me that has a cassette tape on the front and under it are the words "Master of Obsolete Technology". She also bought a Galaga T-shirt; I guess they are selling retro arcade style T-shirts at places like JC Penney.

--Nice. Actually, I was surprised there were no flying cars yet. And surprised Atari has somehow survived throughout the years in one form or another. Now they just produce games for Apple (iPad, iTouch, etc), and were on Facebook with the Pepsi Throwback (I actually won a FlashBack 2+ system for getting a high score on Yar's Revenge -- I had 9 guys left and killed them all off around 1 million points). Yes, old Atari geek. I found a great Atari sales shop called "Best Electronics".

Thanks everyone for the great information and links. It will take some time for me to sift through all of it.

Off topic for this forum: I saw that Curt Vendell (responsible for the Flashback systems) has produced an XM upgrade for the 7800 and is starting a new company -- I believe it's the name Bushnell first used when he created Atari. My wife bought a T-shirt for me that has a cassette tape on the front and under it are the words "Master of Obsolete Technology". She also bought a Galaga T-shirt; I guess they are selling retro arcade style T-shirts at places like JC Penney.

Of course there are flying cars, but it seems you can't buy them yet.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/us-news-blog/2012/apr/04/flying-car-prototype-video-auto

These cars aren't quite as good as in The Jetsons, or The Legion of Super Heroes, though. I read a story in the 1990s that there was a flying car in kit form only which cost a few hundred thousand Dollars, but I don't know what happened to that.

Thanks Ransom, appreciate it. I just wish Atari would make hardware again. They could have easily done what Apple has done with the Tablet market. Atari had a light pen and a touch tablet in the early 80s. They need to make a new console - something I do not think we'll ever see because the current "Atari" is nothing like the original company that existed from 1972 to 1984. An all-in-one console could be done with 2 slots - one for 5200 and one for 7800/2600. The only problem with this idea are those 5200 controllers. I saw some 3rd parties making all in one systems for the NES, SNES and Sega Master system (3 slots). I think Atari still has a "generational market" they could promote. An all in one 8-bit system of some type with the addition of new technology - even just a DVD drive. That way the kids that grew up with Atari (like me) could bridge the generational gap for our kids - introduce them to the old stuff, yet be able to play modern games on the same system. Namco is doing this just through software -- they have a 30th anniversary PacMan and PacMan Championship Edition games.

OK, so the last time I was really into Atari 8 bit computers was 1986. I have an 800, and 130 XE. The things actually still work, along with 5 /14 inch disks I made in 1984. I was wondering what (new) finished products exist for these machines? I saw an SIO2SD interface among other things. Could someone reply with advice/info and links on how to purchase such things? I did a search on some of them in this forum and didn't receive anything concrete. The only thing I saw were items from Atari Max (a web site even exists).

...Appreciated.

-old Atari geezer.

The text isn't compatible with your "joined" date :)

But welcome to the atari community.

I had my break from 2001 to 2008 or something and was amazed what had surfaced in this time.

Edit:

I C you were in the 7800 section of the forum. OK then :)

Edited by Creature XL

I'd been thinking about middle age and the age of my Atari(s) recently, and how I planned on keeping one up and running my entire life. Ane how it would be if I lived another 40 or 50 years, and showing off my antique electronics to young relatives (I have no kids of my own-yet), like great great nephews or something in the year 2050 or 2060.

When Curt comes out with that Atari 8-bit based Flashback I plan to buy a dozen.

If I ever had to reduce to one authentic, original model it would be the 800 because of the four joystick ports. (Due to build quality it's highly likely the 800 might be the only one left working.)

• Like 1

Yes, it might be interesting, when the histories are rewritten for the 22nd time, to see whether what is rembered as important is metered more by ideas and technology, or by what remains behind, preserved by dedication and love. It's been a long road, of greater than life personalities, a company culture once built partly of myth, that has taken many a tumble. I think Atari has a future that may endure because of people like Curt, Ted and others willing to keep the hope and passion.

Welcome back to a new, yet familar, home. :)

Edited by AtariNerd

Of course there are flying cars, but it seems you can't buy them yet.

http://www.guardian....type-video-auto

These cars aren't quite as good as in The Jetsons, or The Legion of Super Heroes, though. I read a story in the 1990s that there was a flying car in kit form only which cost a few hundred thousand Dollars, but I don't know what happened to that.

Another version under development that may be available in a few years is the Moller Skycar.

name='Joey Z' timestamp='1335822703' post='2511970']

50 years from now, there won't be anyone left living who remembered these machines. Looks like we're in the zenith of it, right now.

Don't be so sure, just look at my age.

(for those of you too lazy, I am 15)[/u]

Someone will still care in 50 years (actually my Grandfather lived to 103, so I might conceivably still be around...my lucidity might be deminished though). Anyway, I suppose there will be some like you who found Atari through parents or just the internet and got interested, but this probably is still the zenith of 20th century obsolete tech fans and developments.

By the way Joey, I grew up in Wheaton in the 70/80's. Not too far from Hoffman Estates, I know the area well...even had a girlfriend from there...

Edited by Gunstar

I think that old computers will never be "forgotten". I belive that far into the future people will be curious about the 19th and 20th century and they will study our culture, even the old computers since that was part of our culture, And since our culture of the 70's 80's and 90's is so well documented with movies and music and music videos and digital photos and so on, Maybe they will have classes in computer History hehe. The People of the future probably will have their own Conception of the past in context of their own time..

Who knows, in maybe 1000 years people will discover throug digital archology games like Star raiders , Missile command and Caverns of Mars and so on ..

;)