Photo

are these games any good if so why if not why

13 replies to this topic

#1 kaitlin459 OFFLINE  

kaitlin459

Combat Commando

• 8 posts

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:07 AM

hello i have a chance to buy some jaguar games from a guy i know in town who deals in collecting jaguar items and games these games im about to list are extras he has can you guys tell me which games i should deff buy and which games are optional i know some of these games are crappy but id atleast like to know your opinion on why you didnt like the game or why you liked it help me chose he told me hed sell me the entire lot of 8 games for 60 dollars even is that a good price i only have about 4 games for my jaguar heres the list so list the games i should deff get list the games i shouldnt get and list the reasons why i shouldnt get that game thanks

fight for life
theme park
threvor mc fur
hovor strike
evolution dino dudes
power drive rally
tempest 2000
kasumi ninja

#2 Felyx OFFLINE  

Felyx

Moonsweeper

• 289 posts
  • Location:Angers, France, Europe, planet Earth, Solar System, Universe

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:25 AM

There are as many reviews of Jag games as reviewers...
Even for the poorest jag games you will find some who like them, be aware of that: no review is 100% objective.

At least it is posible to write that the most appreciated games of your list would be Tempest 2000 and power Drive Rally: almost everybody like them.

Now below is only my opinion:
Crescent Galaxy (Trevor Mc Fur) is a beautiful game. A bit hard in difficulty but deserve to be played.

Hover strike deserves to be played too: it is not bad at all but compared to Phase Zero it is quite slow.

Theme Park and Dino Dude: not bad games but all depends if you like their styles or not.

Kasumi ninja has poor gameplay: I far prefer playing Ultra Vortek but Kasumi is original with the very famous dick's fireball...it just requires 3 hands to do the combos...funny during 5 minutes boring after.

Fight for life is nothing but a poor copy of Sega Virtua Fighter: it was maybe beautiful or impressive back in time in 1995 but that's all :(
It suffers a lack of precision: impossible to appreciate the distances so you beat the air like a crazy blind guy hoping you will sometimes hit your opponent: But viewing your opponent being electrocuted can be funny the 10 first seconds...

Now if I were you I would take the whole lot because it is very cheap and at least you can make your own opinion by playing them as the best ever opinion regarding your video game taste is yours. You can always resell the ones you don't like.

Edited by Felyx, Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:38 AM.

#3 Amstari OFFLINE  

Amstari

Moonsweeper

• 498 posts

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:52 AM

I think that is a great deal for 8 games. If you don't want them I will buy them all for $60!

Most of them are good games, even the "bad" ones are worth it for that price.

#4 Marcus Losbjer OFFLINE  

Marcus Losbjer

Space Invader

• 23 posts

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:31 AM

Great price, for that price I would buy them all! :)

fight for life:

I haven't played this one yet, though I doubt I will like it.

theme park:

Very good game but only if you like the sim/strategy type of games.

trevor mc fur:

Horrible game in my opinion, it could have been a good game if:
  • there was a 2 player mode
  • there would have been more depth in the backgrounds, 2 or 3 more layers of parallax would do the trick
  • there would be better enemy design overall.
  • there would have been better balance in the difficulty, a health meter would help alot.
  • there would have been in-game music.
hover strike:

I haven't played this yet.

evolution dino dudes:

An ok game, you can really see it was an early game.

power drive rally:

Great great game, very polished and fun.

tempest 2000:

Again a great game, nothing more to say really!

kasumi ninja:

Bad and kind of slow mortal kombat clone.

Edited by Marcus Losbjer, Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:35 AM.

#5 twoquickcapri OFFLINE  

twoquickcapri

Dragonstomper

• 844 posts

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:03 PM

If the games are loose its a good deal. If they're boxed its an awesome deal.

Fight for Life
Looked good in its day but the framerate a little slow. The gameplay sucks and the rounds take to long to complete. Don't think I've ever been so bored playing a fighter before.

Theme Park
Great game if you like building parks. Which I do.

Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy
Feels like a cheap flash game or someone first attempt at make a space shooter.

Hovor Strike
Fun tank combat.

Evolution Dino Dudes
If you like is type of puzzle game. It really hard in hard mode.

Power Drive Rally
Best car racer (Super Burnout being the best Racer) on the Jaguar. Must have if you like racers.

Tempest 2000
Most likely the best game on the Jaguar. Fun, Fast, and Great beats.

Kasumi Ninja
Fun for a few rounds but nothing to hold you there.

My list of must have (Good Games):

Carts
Alien vs Predator
Atari Karts
Battlesphere
Breakout 2000
Defender 2000
Doom
Hover Strike
Iron Soldier
Missile Command 3D
NBA Jam T.E.
Phase Zero Demo
Power Drive Rally
Protector: Special Edition
Raiden
Rayman
Skyhammer
Super Burnout
Theme Park
Tempest 2000
Ultra Vortek
Wolfenstein 3d
Zero 5

CD-ROM
BattleMorph
Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands
Iron Soldier 2
Myst
Superfly DX
Vid Grid
World Tour Racing

Games I like but most people don't:
Checkered Flag
Club Drive
Cybermorph
Supercross 3D
Troy Aikman Football
Zool 2

Edited by twoquickcapri, Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:04 PM.

#6 danny_galaga OFFLINE  

danny_galaga

Chopper Commander

• 228 posts
  • http://dannygalaga.com/shop.html

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:28 AM

Cheap package there, just buy them and try them (",)

#7 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,738 posts

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:49 AM

fight for life

Pretty awful in my opinion. A lot of potential, but not worth it at all, especially these days. The biggest problem with it is how your attacks feel when they land. I'll just say, this is no Virtua Fighter.

theme park

Fun sim-oriented game. Not quite as polished as the 3DO version (some areas for obvious reasons), but it's a solid title if that's your sort of thing. I think you can still get these for $10-ish sealed on eBay, so it's worth the buy-in price.

threvor mc fur

Really, not a particularly good shooter. At all. But there's some kind of strange addictive quality to it. I don't like it at all (inconsistent visuals, awful sound, weak gameplay, animals dressed up in suits, ugh), but when I do play it, I end up spending a good 30 minutes with it, heh.

hovor strike

Good potential, but the framerate kills this game. CD version is the one to get, if you really want to play it.

evolution dino dudes

Fun little puzzler, but don't expect much. Also came out as "The Humans" on other platforms back in the day.

power drive rally

Good top-down racer in a similar vein as Neo-Geo racers like Neo Drift Out. Sort of. It's not all arcade action though, as some rounds require you to get technical with your driving skills (stop here, reverse there, spin around, etc).

tempest 2000

Great upgrade of the original arcade game. Solid visuals, great sounding music (if you are into electronic stuff), and with all the power-ups and new enemy additions, it's very addictive.

kasumi ninja

Meh.

#8 save2600 ONLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 8,284 posts

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:50 PM

For $60, I'd be all over these if I didn't already have them. This is a good little Jag starters collection, but:

fight for life - you'll be fighting to stay awake with this one. Kasumi Ninja blows this turd right out of the toilet! lol

theme park - Good game, but you can't save your progress. Better played with a mouse on the computer anyway.

trevor mc fur - cool little shooter that shows off some pretty decent graphics. Unique characters and storyline too.

hover strike - totally unplayable IMO. This game sucks.

evolution dino dudes - excellent game! Love it and think it makes a great addition to the Jag.

power drive rally - really good standard rally overhead driver here. Can't go wrong and as far as racing games go on the Jag, this and Super Burnout are the best.

tempest 2000 - kick ass no brainer purchase! Reason to own the Jag in the first place.

kasumi ninja - as I've said, this is a good MK clone. Some/most people complain about the controls, but bah! just press buttons a fraction of a second before you think you need to and it's all good. lol

#9 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman

Chopper Commander

• 174 posts

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:43 PM

are they boxed? I'd so go fr it, although, With the exception of Tempest 2000 (one of my favorite games ever) the rest are pretty below average to bad games. Power Drive Rally is probably the only other one out of the bunch that I would play for fun nowadays.

#10 kaitlin459 OFFLINE  

kaitlin459

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:32 AM

thanks for all youir input will deff be buying the games on weds

#11 82-T/A OFFLINE  

82-T/A

Stargunner

• 1,283 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:42 PM

hello i have a chance to buy some jaguar games from a guy i know in town who deals in collecting jaguar items and games these games im about to list are extras he has can you guys tell me which games i should deff buy and which games are optional i know some of these games are crappy but id atleast like to know your opinion on why you didnt like the game or why you liked it help me chose he told me hed sell me the entire lot of 8 games for 60 dollars even is that a good price i only have about 4 games for my jaguar heres the list so list the games i should deff get list the games i shouldnt get and list the reasons why i shouldnt get that game thanks

fight for life
theme park
threvor mc fur
hovor strike
evolution dino dudes
power drive rally
tempest 2000
kasumi ninja

I guess it depends on what you're expecting. The Jaguar, as awesome as I think it is, is already well over 15 years old now... (18-19?).

So... most of these games are pretty bad by today's standards.

In my opinion:

Fight for Life - Not worth it unless you're one of those people like me that has to have every game. You'll never really play it again, it's slow, and not that awesome. Good for it's time.

Theme Park - A PC game that just doesn't port well... buy it for $1 buck on eBay and play it on the PC.

Trevor McFur - Cool side-scroller shooter... I like it.

Hover Strike - The CD one just seems to be better, but I liked this game. If you're at that point in your life where you're finished with college, the kids are in bed, and the wife is watching her crappy shows on DVR... this is a game I'd go into the bedroom and play for a few hours.

Dino Dudes - Meh... it's ok.

Power Drive Rally - Love this game... it's RC Pro Am for the Jaguar.

Tempest 2000 - Awesome game.

Kasumi Ninja - Pretty decent.

#12 onlysublime OFFLINE  

onlysublime

Stargunner

• 1,309 posts

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:52 AM

fight for life
theme park
threvor mc fur
hovor strike
evolution dino dudes
power drive rally
tempest 2000
kasumi ninja

love love love:
Tempest 2000
Power Drive Rally

the others aren't very good (to be nice)

#13 kevincal OFFLINE  

kevincal

Quadrunner

• 5,662 posts

Posted Tue May 1, 2012 9:53 AM

fight for life -decent interesting fighter, not so bad.
theme park -these type of games bore me, but if you like sim city type stuff this is for you
threvor mc fur -not a bad shooter at all, but very difficult.
hovor strike -boring, not a bad game but i like cybermorph much better.
evolution dino dudes -boring, if you like lemmings youll like this. for brainiacs
power drive rally =pretty fun racing game that may be a bit overrated, but is good fun
tempest 2000 -really fun game up until level 64. difficult and steep learning curve though
kasumi ninja -pretty crappy fighter, but if you are mortal kombat fan this is interesting

#14 Jag_Slave OFFLINE  

Jag_Slave

Dragonstomper

• 502 posts

Posted Tue May 1, 2012 9:28 PM

I love the skiing and snowboarding game. I have no idea why, but I always pick it up first. :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users