SvOlli, on Tue May 8, 2012 12:04 AM, said:
Not any more. With the most recent versions, if you're timing is slightly off, the output will become black'n'white.
That's a PAL color-loss thing where the color goes away if the number of scanlines becomes odd. That doesn't happen in NTSC. What I was referring to was if your overscan is off, and it's higher some frames and lower on others then the screen will jitter (wiggle, shake, slightly move) up and down. Stella doesn't emulate that. I'm also doing Harmony/Melody development(Frantic
and Space Rocks
) and while we did get Stella to run ARM code, it doesn't emulate cycles for the ARM code so it's very easy to exceed vertical blank and overscan time.
That was a reference to Solaris. I'm really impressed on how Doug Neubauer drew the Saturn-like planet on the starting screen.
Looking at the debug colors, the planet is drawn just with player 1 while the ring is drawn with player 0 and missile 0. The white strip down the left side means that HMOVE is being hit on every single scanline, so object(s) are being moved left/right.
Watching the TIA tab in the debugger while stepping the code a scanline at a time, you'll see that player 0 is set to a single 1x sprite and is shifted left to right as the scanlines are being drawn. Missile 0 is also shifted left to right. Player 1 is set to 2x size (so the 8 pixels are doubled to span 16 pixels) and is shifted left and right to make it look smooth. Stella shows anything that changed since the last step using green text on a red background, so in this screenshot of the debugger you can see that every object's position was changed from the prior scanline.
I did the same shifting 2x player trick in Medieval Mayhem for the dragon, though I only hit HMOVE on the scanlines the players get shifted on.
I came up with that after I noticed
how large, yet detailed looking, the dolphin and squid looked in the game Dolphin
. I think tracked down an an interview with Matthew Hubbard
on how he did it.
SS: How did the idea for Dolphin come about?
MH: I wanted to make a game where the main characters were a little bigger than normal on the 2600, using double-size mode and line-by-line single pixel shifting. I experimented with making a dolphin animation, and everyone who saw the early screens knew immediately that the pixels represented a dolphin, so I moved forward from there.
That should be because I'm a German native. In German it's very uncommon to use the ...-hundred for anything above nineteen.
Don't remember if we were taught that (ja ich kann deutsch, aber nicht sehr gut) as my German classes were 30 years ago. Like a lot of Americans, I learned another language in high school, but we don't often get to use them so they fade from memory - if you drive a few hours you end up in another country and need another language, it takes me 3 days to reach Canada and they speak English there. We lived outside Chicago when I learned German, if I had known I'd end up in Texas then learning Spanish would have been a lot more helpful.
What I also noticed, when I first owned my 2600, it was just called "The Atari". If I now point of in some chat that I did a talk about "the very first Atari console" almost everyone get's mistaken and assumes that it's an Atari ST that I'm talking about.
It was also known as just "The Atari" here.