IGNORED

Coleco Adam Big Dog Combo set - What do you guys think?

playazclub

Just picked this up off of Craigslist guys. I love Colecovision and this guy had this listed no picture. This has everything. It's just shy of 4 feet long, over 2 feet wide. Barely been used. everything was still in it's original wrapper. Styrofoam is all there. No staining whatsoever. So here's my question - I would never sell this but I am curious if I got a good deal. What do you all think it's worth?

BTW, I'll post additional pics of the Colecovision boxed games beneath later.

post-32738-0-10383400-1335539853_thumb.jpg

post-32738-0-71225300-1335539863_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

unless you paid a fortune I would say you got a good deal because this will definately bring a bidding war if it went up on ebay. You also have to remember that there are less adam people than colecovision people and several adams have gone for sale the past year so that could affect things. I would say if you waited until the SD drive got created someone would probably want a nice shinny one with the new drive. :)

Well, he wanted $40 but since there was no photo, I talked him down to $25 sight unseen. Needless to say, when I saw it - I was giddy. This thing is complete down to the welcome letters to buying the Adam, free software coupon slips to send in, everything. Weight wise, I would guess 40 to 50 lbs. Includes the Adam, printer, keyboard, Colecovision (which he never played), some tapes, a tray to hold the linked systems and up 80K Ram!!! :-o

wow!!! Many people will be jealous of your outright robbery of this guy. ;) I still don't understand how some people can't do a simple web search or have their kids or grandkids do a search to let them know how much something is worth.

NIAD will definately love it. Talk to him if you need help with questions or added software. He published all the info in other threads though if you search them you will find a ton of info.

Awesome. My wife was even excited whe she came home and saw it on the living room floor (and she hates this stuff). Crazy thing - this was on craigslist for 4 days before I even saw it. I'm tempted to fire it up and see how it works but I'll do a little more research so as not to bust anything before I do that.

Obviously, I knew I got a good deal but it's nice to show my wife that indeed, the values I quote aren't totally made up. Plus I thought maybe someone here could give me a little info if this was a last run type setup. I haven't seen this combo set mentioned anywhere and no pictures are available that I've found.

No joking here. I almost gave the guy the full $40 cause I felt bad. Of course I hemmed and hawwed a little so as to hide my excitement. I also asked if he had other game stuff and to let me know if he finds more in his garage.

Edited by playazclub

Yeah you did very well. It's certainly hundreds of dollars if not more. Mine, and many others brains are cranking and twisting how to figure out how to talk you out of it right now I'm sure :D that kind of find is what makes our hearts thump and our pulses quicken. I've got a nice Adam (not the one with the coleco in the back) in the box that is in similar condition. I traded for it, and it had an estimated value of $150. Your version is rarer. The games each have their own value.

WOW, never seen this before, never even knew it was released in this configuration. Not really sure why it was! I mean you had the ADAM, and you had the Expansion Module # 3, so why release it this way?

Definately cool and I'm amazed to see a box in this condition. The boxes to my ADAM and Expansion # 3 are pretty beat up, but thankfully both sysems are in like-new condition (no yellowing either!).

Please post pics of the inside, I would really like to see just how they boxed this thing up.

Congratulations on a tremendous pickup! :-o For $25, you are definetly guilty of highway robbery and deserve to serve 25 to life for this theft. :P

So as far as what you have there, THIS is the rarest ADAM Computer package that was ever made available. The original two ADAM configurations that were sold in stores were the Stand-Alone Memory Console version that had the ColecoVision built-into the Memory Console and came in a box using blue as it's main color and the other configuration was the Exp. Mod. #3 version that DID NOT include a ColecoVision Game System / Donkey Kong cart and used red as the boxes main color (the box top was similar to the picture you have but without the left most panel area stating what is included. See example pics below.

While I never had the good fortune to come across one of these back in the day, I did hear of their existence and would assume that Coleco came up with this configuration late in the game to try and help move excess stock of the Exp. Mod. #3 ADAM seeing as the E.M. #3 was not as popular as the Stand-Alone ADAM due to the extra space it takes up on a desk and still only offering RF output through the ColecoVision.

To try and put a price tag on this beauty is a tough one, but let's say an E.M.#3 ADAM in boxed/mint condition can fetch around $150 and a loose CV that is in good shape (working and physical condition) can run about $50 on a good day, you are at $200 already for that setup. Now take into account the rarity of this system package that you have and if everything is in working order, I'd put a price tag on it of, say.... $350-$400. :?

As far a hooking it up, the entire system is powered by the power supply in the ADAM Printer, so DO NOT use the ColecoVision Power Supply... if one was even included in the system package. Also, leave the ColecoVision ON/OFF switch in the OFF position.

If you get a chance, pics of the inside of the box would be very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

BTW, going back to an older thread, I knew Coleco included the Donkey Kong cart with the ADAM, just didn't have the proof until now. Thanks,

post-25956-0-16870900-1335557630_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-89533700-1335557635_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-79960200-1335557764_thumb.jpg

You bastard! :x

Why did you posted that? !!

There's already that damn variant for the ColecoVision box ..... and now there's one for the ADAM too! :x

Geez ...... Now I'll have to track down for this one too! ;) :twisted:

Need that for the Coleco Museum for sure!

Seriously, AWESOME FIND!!!! at AWSEOME PRICE!!

Like NIAD said, now we all have a proof of how the Donkey Kong ''For Colecovision & ADAM'' variant came from :thumbsup:

So here are some pics of the insides. I can't figure out how the plastic tray sat in there so any suggestions would help. Your responses guys have been awesome and I hope you all don't think I'm an ass for talking the guy down. Had I known what he had, I would have paid asking price. I'm just glad to have saved this from potentially being thrown away which he said he was about to do. Enjoy the pics.

post-32738-0-29521700-1335584347_thumb.jpg

post-32738-0-83825200-1335584350_thumb.jpg

post-32738-0-68675800-1335584353_thumb.jpg

post-32738-0-11773700-1335584356_thumb.jpg

post-32738-0-16004100-1335584359_thumb.jpg

post-32738-0-63967600-1335584361_thumb.jpg

post-32738-0-13704500-1335584364_thumb.jpg

post-32738-0-23135200-1335584367_thumb.jpg

post-32738-0-83669800-1335584369_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Is there some mold growth on the sides?

Doesn't look like mold to me. I think that's just the natural colour variations in the cardboard box, which may have become more apparent with age.

EDIT:

On closer inspection, what you're seeing is the 'regular' brown colour of the cardboard showing through the white finish.

Is there some mold growth on the sides?

Doesn't look like mold to me. I think that's just the natural colour variations in the cardboard box, which may have become more apparent with age.

EDIT:

On closer inspection, what you're seeing is the 'regular' brown colour of the cardboard showing through the white finish.

As far as I know, Coleco did always used that type of cardboard for a bunch of their toys

I own some Coleco toys that use that very same cardboard, there's no mold.... the cardboard is just kind of cheap ;)

When they used that type of cardboard, they'll also always used a full colors sticker for showing the product, while they simply use 1-color ink for description/instructions on sides .....and rarely on the back of the box

Edited by retroillucid

There was the DK cartridge - it was in the Colecovision box slot where you would normally find it. Here's a couple more pics that you may or may not find interesting.

Any pics you want to use or post elsewhere, fine by me. If you need any close-ups, let me know.

I'm really glad you guys all like this find. It's found a good with me - have no fear.

post-32738-0-40893700-1335629318_thumb.jpg

post-32738-0-22525700-1335629321_thumb.jpg

post-32738-0-80538600-1335629323_thumb.jpg

post-32738-0-86392800-1335629326_thumb.jpg

post-32738-0-85508500-1335629329_thumb.jpg

Shssh! Don't feel guilty for landing such an awesome piece of Coleco history and at insanely cheap price. You made the effort, after all, to acquire it and by sharing news of this score and all these great pics with the rest of us here on AtageAge... you have more than expunged yourself of any residual guilt that you have felt! :P

As far as the where the System Tray originally was placed in the box:

:arrow: Remove the Memory Console with Styrofoam

:arrow: Remove the Keyboard and Accessories Styrofoam container

:arrow: The Shaped styrofoam piece in the upper left of your picture goes in the Printer standing up. You will have to slide the Printer Head to the center position. This styrofoam keeps the print head from sliding back and forth along the rails during shipping.

:arrow: The thin/rectangular piece of styrofoam with some cardboard on it is placed in the area of the Memory Console that is exposed.

:arrow: Place the Memory Console back in the large box

:arrow: Place the Keyboard and Accessories styrofoam container on top of the Memory Console... it interlocks to the Printer Styrofoam

:arrow: Now, this is from memory that is almost 29 years ago. Place the System Tray/Joiner upside down on the Printer.

Once again, thanks for sharing all the pics and when you're ready to sell........ :grin: