IGNORED

The ones that got away! Share your experiences and pics.

nofrills100

Slowly over the years I've seen some amazing stuff come and go, slipping out of my reach or sold before I got the chance to make an offer. Often (as painful as it is) I've saved a pic to remind myself.

Here are a few PAL fish that got away:

post-23929-0-55022300-1335592358_thumb.jpg guy refused to respond to my emails

post-23929-0-83703100-1335592662_thumb.jpg infamous side-deal

post-23929-0-75803800-1335592316_thumb.jpg I know the guy who got them, and was able to buy some, but still - I wish I had found them!! what a score!

I don't have pics of the ones that got away, if I have pics its because I own it. All the ones that got away from me were the old "sumguy" routine at yardsales, etc.

I think people might be creeped out if I followed them to their cars so I could take pictures of their yardsale purchases for an online forum :P

Edited by AtariLeaf

There was a red lable Road Runner cart at a flea market here that was overpriced, but not so much that you wouldn't pay it if you had to. I passed it over for like 6 months, and then, one day, it was gone. I have not seen the cart for less since, and have rarely seen it at all since.

I still kick myself for that one.

Well this one time there was an Air Raid cart CIB on Ebay and for some reason it exceeded my $20 spending limit quickly. :P

Seriously though several years ago at a yard sale, the home owner said "Anything special that your looking for?". when I told her Atari stuff, she said "You missed it by about 20 minutes. I had a system with about 200 games that went for $40." :(

Before I knew about AtariAge, I picked up a lot of Atari games with a Shark Attack and a Loch Jaw among them back in the mid 90's from an add in my local paper. I sold a bunch of Atari games at the local swap meet including the Loch Jaw, because I liked the Shark Attack label better and didn't want doubles of the same game.

:roll: :dunce: :o

Still kicking myself over that one.

I found a 2600 DEV unit at the local Value Village.At the time i had no idea what it was.I asked someone here at AA, and to my horror was told what it was.I though it was just a crudely modded 2600, done by the regular tinkerer.I went back like not even 45 minutes later to get it, and it was GONE of course.I've been kicking myself since, 3-4 years ago.Lesson learned,if hesitant, grab the stuff ANYWAY while it's THERE! :dunce:

I cant believe I let this one slip away,i was the 2nd highest bidder,anyone know who won it ??

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2907006643301?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290700664330&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

The Atari 7800 was quite popular in AUS?

I remember seeing it on Neighbours when people visited some shop it was seen in the background.

I also remember seeing an Amiga 500 in the doctors office (or hotel)??

There was an Atari 2600 Jr short rainbow cib on ebay.de. Was gonna bid, forgot about it. Bummer

Edited by high voltage

I found a 2600 DEV unit at the local Value Village.At the time i had no idea what it was.I asked someone here at AA, and to my horror was told what it was.I though it was just a crudely modded 2600, done by the regular tinkerer.I went back like not even 45 minutes later to get it, and it was GONE of course.I've been kicking myself since, 3-4 years ago.Lesson learned,if hesitant, grab the stuff ANYWAY while it's THERE! :dunce:

Ouch! Here, gimme a buck and I'll help you.

kick-butt.gif

• Like 1

I remember way back, I passed on a boxed Diagnostic cart for the 2600, I was weary of this strange item and in the end I had a lapse of faith and decided not to bid. It went pretty cheap, couple hundred max, and at some point down the track I realised it was the real deal.

Reading this makes me sad. A few years ago about oh 5 years the Kmart here done a total make over, I happen to be talking to a guy that was helping them with it. I found out less then 4 hours before I got there they dumped old new stock atari items. I ask what they had one thing was the display from the 2600 to the 7800. Also 2 cartons of games and parts like the switch box and other items.

At this point I ask a store working why they dump them and not sold them off she said who would want them. But that was not all a few film editors and a case of 8 tracks also where pitched.

Now I wonder how many shops got old stock that is forgot about in a back room.

late 1950s Chrysler with 392 Hemi, pushbutton tranny for $500. My parents said no...

Mr. Pioneer had the Vectrex goggles and wouldn't give/sell/barter them to me.

LOL, I did make some serious cash off of those, and REALLY wish I still had them as well...

Reading this makes me sad. A few years ago about oh 5 years the Kmart here done a total make over, I happen to be talking to a guy that was helping them with it. I found out less then 4 hours before I got there they dumped old new stock atari items. I ask what they had one thing was the display from the 2600 to the 7800. Also 2 cartons of games and parts like the switch box and other items.

At this point I ask a store working why they dump them and not sold them off she said who would want them. But that was not all a few film editors and a case of 8 tracks also where pitched.

Now I wonder how many shops got old stock that is forgot about in a back room.

Legal or not, I would have gone dumpster diving on that one!

Before I was really collecting and more or less just looking for more games to play. I stopped into a BigLots store with my Dad and saw a huge 4' x 4' bin stocked full of Atari 7800 & 2600 silver and red labeled box games. They were like $4 each. (This had to be early 90's) Back then I didn't even know if my system was a 2600 or not. So I bought just 2 titles for the 2600. (One of them was Dark Chambers) the other 4 were for the 7800. (I remember picking up this one: http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=708 just because it was awesome looking)

I would have gotten more but I had a small allowance and on top didn't know what system I had. We went back down to the same store about a month later (after i found out most of the games I picked didn't work but to find they were all gone.) I still think back to just how many games were there. . .