IGNORED

Rick Dangerous

Heaven/TQA

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Amazing. Hard to believe, really.

Not pulling the stuff down.

It's very nice to see, people put their spare time in such projects. But the game itself is no miracle to the A8. It uses 32 byte wide screens with no scrolling, this allows a fair amount of CPU cycles to handle the game for a low amount of moving objects.

So, it's always a must to thank the creators of such stuff, because without someone doing that stuff, it still wouldn't be there. Even if it's "a piece of cake" that hadn't been done on the A8 (like those "Driller like 3D Games") , because no one did the A8 versions....

It's harder to believe that "3D" (looking) games exist on other 8bit machines, where it had been a horrible task to create them and people did that without a doubt, the result was even bad, and people bought it.

• Like 1

It's very nice to see, people put their spare time in such projects. But the game itself is no miracle to the A8. It uses 32 byte wide screens with no scrolling, this allows a fair amount of CPU cycles to handle the game for a low amount of moving objects.

So, it's always a must to thank the creators of such stuff, because without someone doing that stuff, it still wouldn't be there. Even if it's "a piece of cake" that hadn't been done on the A8 (like those "Driller like 3D Games") , because no one did the A8 versions....

I thought the same thing when I saw the comment about it being "hard to believe". It's not really a technical miracle or impossibility -- in terms of the Ataris' capabilities. But...

- I don't know if we're watching the same video, but I see vertical scrolling.

- It might not be a technical miracle, but to see the full production of a game like this appear on the A8's, in a relatively small Atari community, from people who aren't being paid (which is how it was produced on other platforms), I do see it as a miracle. And maybe this is what Fres is referring to.

- As to being a "piece of cake": nothing that requires this amount of work is a "piece of cake" by any stretch of the imagination, whether it is a technical wonder or not. It's not always about reaching the apex in terms of what the Ataris are capable of: it's often about being able to have some popular games finally appear on the platform, from a period when the A8's were being overlooked. It's obvious they're putting a lot of effort into making that happen here, and doing a quality job of it.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 5

I thought the same thing when I saw the comment about it being "hard to believe". It's not really a technical miracle or impossibility -- in terms of the Ataris' capabilities. But...

As I wrote above: I appreciate to see the game progressing. But....

- I don't know if we're watching the same video, but I see vertical scrolling.

You know , how scrolling works on the A8?

Horizontal scrolling takes a lot of CPU Cycle stealing, but then it is just a "poke" to move the screen for up to 4 pixels.

Vertical scrolling costs nothing. It also moves DLIs for up to to 8(16) lines, without any care, when using a charmode

The game seems to use some software movement, resulting in interleaved vertical movement with the moving objects on the screen.

So, there is no scrolling used, particular no horizontal scrolling, which would make things a lot harder.

- It might not be a technical miracle, but to see the full production of a game like this appear on the A8's, in a relatively small Atari community, from people who aren't being paid (which is how it was produced on other platforms), I do see it as a miracle. And maybe this is what Fres is referring to.

That's what I wrote above, too.

- As to being a "piece of cake": nothing that requires this amount of work is a "piece of cake" by any stretch of the imagination, whether it is a technical wonder or not. It's not always about reaching the apex in terms of what the Ataris are capable of: it's often about being able to have some popular games finally appear on the platform, from a period when the A8's were being overlooked. It's obvious they're putting a lot of effort into making that happen here, and doing a quality job of it.

Not sure of your achievement in software-production.

But, everything that allows to create "new programs" by just changing the value in a register, is a piece of cake.

Ofcourse, those who do that, have their experiences. Others couldn't do even a bit of a program.

Linear graphics on the A8 is "a piece of cake" , while on the C64 it can turn into a horrible trip. But that didn't stop coders in the past to create games that needed linear graphics on the C64.

Just for an example.

Just a sidenote: In rick dangerous, for the time of scrolling, the game logic is stopped.

As you would expect in those push pull screen games, all of those I've seen stop the game to do the graphics move. why waste the cpu and not just get the gfx move faster. (I presume that's why the logic is stopped or simply isn't there time to do the move and keep the logic running?)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Was probably a lowest common denominator imposition, ie Spectrum and ST.

Though it doesn't really detract too much, the game tends to be zoned into areas where you perform the moves to allow safe passage then move onward.

I used to play RD2 a lot on the Amiga and it was a favourite. Never really played the first one.

Tend to agree with some critic reviews that it is repetitive and relies on remembering the patterns. But it did have pretty good repeat value in the day and would be a very welcome gapfiller on the A8.

• Like 1

It´s great looking, fun game. If we would have had that back in the eigthies everybody would have been thrilled and excited. And in 2017 people are like "nothing special", "easy to do". Ok, if it is so easy to do, why aren´t you making games like this, instead of putting this great work down?

I can´t wait to play it on my Atari. :)

• Like 2

IMHO the logic is stopped because it would be too disorientating when the coarse scroll occurs.

Reading between the lines I get the feeling the whole design was based on the fact it would end up on the C64 and the spectrum, and the playing area size along with the coarse scrolling with stopped logic is to give our rubber-keyed friend a fighting chance at pulling it off.