IGNORED

Repairing power packs

simbalion

Yesterday I was playing with my Atari 800 and I accidentally bumped the end of the power cord that goes into the computer. Much to my horror, a few moments later the computer just stopped working! After doing some testing, I came to find that the power supply seemed to be drawing power, but not putting anything out. The 800 fired right back up with my spare power pack. Now, a month ago I had ended up with two earlier versions of the power supply, ones that state 400/800 on them. One had bad cords and the other was DOA, so I found that those use screws under the rubber pads to get them apart. Sure enough, the DOA one had a blown fuse, but the fuse in the messed up one was perfect, so I swapped the fuse with my meager soldering skills and got the DOA one working again.

Now, the other power pack that I suspect has a blown fuse is not made quite the same. It appears to be glued together and I am wondering, how do you get these things open short of destroying the case? Also wondering where these fuses can be found? I'm thinking Ace at least, but not sure.

Hmm. Maybe my friend has an idea of how to crack the case open without much damage. He's done it before. Yep, the two early power packs I found were held together with phillips screws under the rubber feet. Both of those have the Atari logo on them and then under that it says. "For use with 400/800 systems." If I can get another output cord, I can revive the second one.

It appears to be glued together and I am wondering, how do you get these things open short of destroying the case? Also wondering where these fuses can be found? I'm thinking Ace at least, but not sure.

Yes they are glued and impossible to open without cutting. Just cut along the edges and when you're finished re-assemble by applying hot glue. If you're creful and patient you can do a pretty good job, although Fox's suggestion sounds good too in case you need to re-open the case in the future.

Edited by atari8warez

I never did understand the fuse permanently sealed in side the case deal.

The fuse is for protection only. They never expected people to replace fuses, it was just included to prevent serious problems in case of failure.

Well they sometimes blow-up simply by inserting them into the drive (in case of an 1050 PS) while the drive Power switch is in the ON position. I had one or two blow-up this way. Nowdays I always check to see the drive power switch is in OFF position before inserting the plug.

The fuse is for protection only. They never expected people to replace fuses, it was just included to prevent serious problems in case of failure.

Well they sometimes blow-up simply by inserting them into the drive (in case of an 1050 PS) while the drive Power switch is in the ON position. I had one or two blow-up this way. Nowdays I always check to see the drive power switch is in OFF position before inserting the plug.

I was mainly pointing out there is still a point to putting a fuse in, even if it's not designed to be user replaceable.

If the rectifier(s) can sustain a load high enough, you could feed it with DC even if it needs AC. You'd need to have an input voltage of at least 5 Volts plus the dropout voltage fo the regulator. I strongly recommend against this mode of operation without knowing the ratings of the rectifier!

If the rectifier(s) can sustain a load high enough, you could feed it with DC even if it needs AC. You'd need to have an input voltage of at least 5 Volts plus the dropout voltage fo the regulator. I strongly recommend against this mode of operation without knowing the ratings of the rectifier!

The other issue is that the RAM chips on the 16K boards for the 400/800 use +12V.

It's hard to see what the power switch setting may have to do with blowing the fuse, but I have certainly done it by plugging the power pack in with the power pack on (even with the Atari switch off).

Not a good plan - turn off all the power.

Bob

Doesn't work. I have a 9v DC brick that looks almost identical to the 9vAC ones (for an Indus GT). I thought my 800 died at one point because I was using the DC brick.