IGNORED

Feedback for new 2012 5200 homebrew (30th anniversary) game

Cafeman

Feedback requested for 2012 5200 homebrew  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these already-started options would you rather have completed for a 2012 5200 game?

• Koffi: Twin Kopters
    • Koffu-Koffu
    • A vertical outer-space shooter in vein of Megamania
    • Detective Powers
    • Nope, I don't like original games, I'd rather have a port of another system/coin-op game

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

My work on Adventure II XE is wrapping up and I don't want to work on it beyond May. After that I'm anxious to work on a new idea for 5200 homebrew (which will also eventually be an A8 port too). I have a bunch of ideas and they all have already been started with designs, graphics, and some code. I will let this poll help me determine which game I actually do. Here are a few quick blurbs about each game to give some kind of idea of what I have planned. Note that when I do start one of these, I will eagerly accept graphics contributions - my mockups are merely that, mockups which *could* be done on 5200.

"Koffi: Twin Kopters" - the first KYK was done in 2002 and was my first homebrew and will always be kind of special to me; I've always had ideas to make a sequel, adding stuff that I didn't put into the original. The sequel would be called Koffi: Twin Kopters because there will be a 2-player simultaneous mode like seen in Joust - Player 2 can opt-in whenever he wants to, or you can just play it as a 1-player game. The 2 Kopters will be able to collide with one another, yielding coop or cut-throat gameplay. Changes planned: Kopter doesn't immediately die if lightning or fire hits him, but instead loses an amount of water in his tank. If not enough water, you will lose a life - kind of like Sonic's rings. There will be Pinball-style score multipliers and a power-up or two that you can either grab or earn.

"Koffu-Koffu" - think Baku-Baku style gameplay but using Koffi's world and characters - water will drop, fire will drop, seeds/plant food will drop. Try to grow the tree branches to the top and rescue any animals from spreading fire too. Split screen, 2-player simultaneous.

"Vertical Shooter" - this idea is a basic vertical shooter along the lines of MegaMania. Some of the enemy ideas I had so far: classic sci-fi film images such as different UFO's, Cylons, Berzerk-style robots, or Star Wars/ Star trek homages, but also weird stuff like Mr. Yuck heads, dinosaurs, or other ideas that maybe AA will help me with.

"Detective Powers" - see attached mock-ups. Graphics will not be the same as this early mockup but it gives you an idea. Holmes will need to keep his "Detective Powers" charge by correct deduction or finding items like a bowler hat or pipe, etc. This one will take more effort that the other homebrew ideas but it also has more already-done code.

post-37-0-85207400-1335796540_thumb.jpg

post-37-0-41135300-1335796553_thumb.jpg

post-37-0-32935500-1335796716_thumb.jpg

post-37-0-25213500-1335796865_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cafeman

"Detective Powers" is a totally original concept for 5200! The only way to top a thought-based mystery game would be to port Lord of the Dungeon, complete with battery backup!! Now wouldn't that be a sight to behold?... :grin:

Oh mah goodness! Detective Powers looks REALLY interesting... and it's DIFFERENT.

Megamania-style game? Well, we've already got Megamania. Could be cool project, but not 1st priority IMHO.

Koffi: Twin Copters? Would be cool, but we've got the 1st Koffi. No offense intended... just that I like the idea of something we haven't seen on the 5200 before. Nice idea for after Detective Powers is finished. ;)

Kofu Kofu? Not really into those types of games, plus the homebrew scene for nearly every system (from NES to Dreamcast) is flooded with them. Again, nice idea, but lower on list of priorities IMHO.

The 5200's strength was the arcade at home experience (imo). I'm one of the five (so far) that voted for a "port".

I'm thinking Mr. Do! Or maybe hack the Crystal Castles conversion to allow for the trakball. THAT would be sweet!

Or for a from scratch...Rally-X. Sadly missing from all the classic consoles. IIRC, it wasn't done until the NES.

3 weeks into this poll! So far, there are 47 votes. So , it seems about 50 people are interested in a new 5200 homebrew. But from here on, anything new that I create will have logic & bank switching to be compilable for A8 or 5200 at the same time, so I assume some A8 players will also be interested too, once they see the game taking form.

If I were to choose which game to make, I'd probably do either the shooter (simply because it would be very quick & easy to code), or Detective Powers (because I have more interest in DP and it is already well along in the design process). I value the results of this poll, I don't want to waste my time making a game that nobody else is interested in. I have found that I need feedback from others to keep myself motivated - I'll never be one of the homebrewers who gets the whole thing done, then reveals it.

Based on our votes here, Detective Powers is the winner so far, by a prominent majority. I would like to get this poll locked on June 1, then I'll make additional threads whenever I actually start the new game and have something to show. I wish I was no dummie, and wish I was getting less sleep, then perhaps I could be a faster homebrewer. :)

• Like 1