IGNORED

PS2 Hardware troubles

Cybergoth

Hi there!

I just learned the hard way that my PS2 Slim will apparently not play double layer DVDs - It refused to play both God of War games, and is basically saying something like "No Data Found" or similar when I put them in.

My PS2 seems to be a model V12. I wonder if there's anything I could possibly try in order to fix it, like exchanging the laser or so?

Greetings,

Manuel

Odd, I read it was the other way around, and that the fats died easier. :?

Yeah I'm not sure. Some people say its the fats others say its the slims.

The more I read it seemed the slims were the ones that were messing up the most but I really have no idea and if there's any proof to it.

Yeah I'm not sure. Some people say its the fats others say its the slims.

The more I read it seemed the slims were the ones that were messing up the most but I really have no idea and if there's any proof to it.

I thought part of the point of the slims was to correct the disc read error issues the fats had? I guess it didn't quite work out that way in the end, heh.

The Slims were lots cheaper to manufacture and lots harder to mod. The parts weren't as durable.

The "fat" PS2 was easily moddable with modchips and hard drives. You can't even use a hard drive with the PS2 Slim.

The slim, you have to use the lid trick to play copied games because soldering/modding the super tiny parts were tricky and made you practically blind from staring at the little tiny parts. I looked inside the PS2 Slim and it's just not worth modding unless you were being paid to do it and that's all you did. As a gamer, it wasn't worth the hassle to hardmod. But the fat only required a couple hours of patience at most to solder in the new chip.

If you can play CD based games and play music CDs, but DVD based games or movies don't work, then it is probably your laser.

I fixed one few years back and it wasn't that hard. Total cost $20 to fix it.

I think this one might do the trick, as it explicitely claims to be for the V12 Model:

http://www.amazon.de/SLIM-PVR-802-Laser-SCPH-70004/dp/B001GOCMR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336541875&sr=8-1

Is it easy to exchange, or would it also require some sort of a calibration process?