IGNORED

Space Rocks (2600)

SpiceWare

Kinda what I figured. Oh well, I'll stick to Stella until I can get a cart.

:ponder:

Now, if someone wants to tell me how to trigger the Easter Eggs..... :D

I guess it's been long enough :)

There's three Easter Eggs in Space Rocks:

• Press FIRE on both joysticks to trigger the Credits Easter Egg:

post-3056-0-48711000-1414423065_thumb.png

• While in the Credits Easter Egg, move both joysticks up to trigger the No Mans Land Easter Egg - background will change to red:

post-3056-0-67633900-1414423075_thumb.png

and every round will start with 12 large asteroids:

post-3056-0-95114700-1414423084_thumb.png

Note: Both joysticks down during Credit Easter Egg will restore gameplay to normal - background will change back to blue.

• Let the Credits Easter Egg repeat to trigger the Blinky Easter Egg:

post-3056-0-06446800-1414423121_thumb.png

Note: Let the Credits repeat again to restore the normal UFO.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

It's fun to tease the Mega Mines with the hyperspace option...clear most of the rocks and after the Mega Mines break apart and start coming after you, hit hyperspace and when you reappear, watch them circle around and come after you again only to hit hyperspace and do it again. This is where the danger factor comes in as sometimes your ship might reappear in the middle of them! Kinda adds the "not always a safe re-entry" like the arcade!

• 5 months later...

Stella or Harmony? (I don't have a Harmony cart)..........

I've played several times already (on Stella) both with timer on and off, and 2mins and 5mins everything works for me.....and the last score has been correct everytime too.[/size]

Ideally Harmony, as sometimes Stella will hide problems like screen jitter, but if Stella's all you have that's helpful too.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I had a couple issues crop up while testing, once game had a screen roll and another crashed. Both happened right after starting a new game. In both instances I noticed the score display looked odd, thought it corrected itself after the screen roll. The score kernel is controlled by reading this datastream:

Score8:
    .byte PLAYER1_COLOR ; 0
    .byte PLAYER2_COLOR ; 1
    .byte WHITE         ; 2 score color
    .byte zz___XXX__    ; 3
    .byte zz__X___X_    ; 4
    .byte zz__X___X_    ; 5
    .byte zz__X___X_    ; 6
    .byte zz__X___X_    ; 7
    .byte zz___XXX__    ; 8
    .byte zz__X___X_    ; 9
    .byte zz__X___X_    ;10
    .byte zz__X___X_    ;11
    .byte zz__X___X_    ;12
    .byte zz___XXX__    ;13
    .byte 0             ;14 ends the score loop
    .byte PLAYER1_COLOR ;15
    .byte PLAYER2_COLOR ;16

In DPC+ all the datastreams are in RAM, so I suspect the .byte 0 was somehow changed to another value, which would cause the score loop to run for an unknown number of additional scanlines.

If you're testing in Stella please enter the debugger (hit the ` key, the one just to the left of the 1 and above tab) and enter the following in the Prompt:

breakif { _scan > #262 }

If typed correctly, Stella will reply with

Added breakif 00

post-3056-0-26613000-1437395553_thumb.png

Hit the ` key again to exit the debugger. Stella will enter the debugger again if too many lines are drawn on the screen, so if that happens take a screenshot and post it here.

Wouldn't a saved state help too?

I forgot about those, yes it would - especially since I added the Cartridge RAM tab which would let me see the contents of the Score8 datastream.

I've never saved a state from the debugger before, looks like you'd type in:

savestate 0

Then you'd have to track down where Stella saved the file spacerocks_te_6.st0 and post it here.

On the Mac they end up in ~/Library/Application Support/Stella/state/, which is a hidden folder on the Mac. To find that folder, do this:

• make Finder your active program (you'll see Finder in the menu bar just to the right of the Apple menu)
  • hold down the OPTION (ALT) key
  • select the Go menu
  • select the Library menu option (if you don't see Library as an option you most likely let go of the OPTION key)
  • you should now see the Library folder
  • double click Application Support folder
  • double click Stella folder
  • double click state folder

I finally made it thru one whole group of asteroids!!! and to the end of the 2min mark also!!

Nice! I played a bunch yesterday via Stella but never encountered the problems. I also reviewed the code, but didn't see anything that could have caused the glitch. Will play on the real Atari tonight to see if it happens again - possibly it was related to how the previous game ended as there's a number of ways that can now occur:

• player ran out of ships
  • player ran out of time
  • timer ran out while ship was waiting to respawn
  • timer ran out while ship was respawning
  • timer ran out during ship explosion sequence
  • etc
Edited by SpiceWare
  • Like 2

I finally made it thru one whole group of asteroids!!! and to the end of the 2min mark also!!

spacerocks_te_6_1.png?lgfp=3000spacerocks_te_6_2.png?lgfp=3000

spacerocks_te_6_3.png?lgfp=3000

Congrats to you! I loaded it on my harmony tonight. My best score was barely over 3000 and I rarely survive 100 seconds in. That crowded asteroid field is basically a suicide mission! :o

Also I noticed Genesis extra button support is disabled! :P

But dang, that title logo is sharp! :lust:

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Also I noticed Genesis extra button support is disabled! :P

Bummer - TE was a last minute idea, I started working it on last week.

We're considering using TE for future events if it goes over well. If so, I'll see about getting the control pad auto-detect code from Stay Frosty 2 copied over, I can add a 4th message that scrolls across saying "joystick" or "gamepad" so the user knows what was detected.

We're considering using TE for future events if it goes over well. If so, I'll see about getting the control pad auto-detect code from Stay Frosty 2 copied over, I can add a 4th message that scrolls across saying "joystick" or "gamepad" so the user knows what was detected.

To be honest I don't think it's really necessary for a tournament cart. It's not like Genesis pads will be allowed or encouraged in the actual event. :P

The Shield isn't so bad, but when you have warps or something else for the second button via the menu in the original game, hitting down accidentally can kill you so it's nice to have the auxillary function routed to another button. I prefer to play Space Rocks with this bad boy as I haven't yet built a dedicated arcade controller for Genny yet.

gen_arcade_power_stick.jpg

I am going to suggest adding a "Hi-Score" in addition to last score.

Holy crap is this thing hard! I <3 it with all the <3's on the inter-webs! (Real hardware, real CRT)

After about 15 minutes and six or ten games, I made it this far. I might do a little better with beer. :D

Nicely done! You could always have triggered the No Mans Land Easter Egg with the original game to get the 12 large asteroids every round, only thing missing would be the timer option.

To be honest I don't think it's really necessary for a tournament cart. It's not like Genesis pads will be allowed or encouraged in the actual event. :P

True, but since the cart is the prize it'd be nice to have that ability for later.

The Shield isn't so bad, but when you have warps or something else for the second button via the menu in the original game, hitting down accidentally can kill you so it's nice to have the auxillary function routed to another button. I prefer to play Space Rocks with this bad boy as I haven't yet built a dedicated arcade controller for Genny yet.

Had forgotten about those, will look into getting a couple next month as I have too much going on for the rest of July. Though, of course, I might spot some at CGF - should probably hit the ATM before I get there...

Edited by SpiceWare

I am going to suggest adding a "Hi-Score" in addition to last score.

Good idea! I've added it to the non-comment comment in the source for next time.

By non-comment comment I mean like this:

post-3056-0-83425300-1437749934_thumb.png

which will cause a compile time error, thus forcing me to look at it.

Can't see the time in Stella, my Harmony is not available at the moment. (improved to ~15k meanwhile)

You have to turn the timer on:

Left Difficulty controls a game timer: A = ON, B = OFF

Right Difficulty controls how long, A = 2:00, B = 5:00

I set it up that way so that after the tournament the winner of the cart could play with or without the timer.

Al on the respawn: I was wondering if maybe the timer should be paused while your ship is regenerating, but then thought, "Meh, that's what you get for dying!"

Tournament will use the 5 minute timer, I only added 2 minutes as an option in order to make it easier to test what would happen if you died/respawned/etc when the timer ran out.

• Like 1