#626 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Draconian

• Topic Starter
  • 12,807 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 9:16 AM

Awesome!

I added a link to the Tournament Edition in the initial post to make it easier for others to find the ROM in the future.

#627 sramirez2008 ONLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,958 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2019 4:37 PM

Played a few games of TE today.  Couldn't break 40K, but here's my best score with the timer set to 5 mins.

SP TE.jpg

#628 Arenafoot OFFLINE  

Arenafoot

Stargunner

• 1,383 posts
  • videogamestores.net

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2019 5:17 PM

Played a few games of TE today.  Couldn't break 40K, but here's my best score with the timer set to 5 mins.

attachicon.gifSP TE.jpg

What was your winning score back in 2015???

#629 sramirez2008 ONLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,958 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2019 5:25 PM

What was your winning score back in 2015???

Don't have the exact score, but it was around 23,800.  My best HS is 40,950.

#630 WaverBoy OFFLINE  

WaverBoy

Star Raider

• 82 posts

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:39 AM

Is there a version of this ROM that will work in the PSP2600 emulator? I can't get the currently available ROMs to work. Might it be possible to make a ROM version that will work on it? I'd be willing to donate $20 toward such a venture. I mainly use my PSP for my Atari gaming these days, and I haven't bought a Harmony cart yet. I'm betting a lot of we PSP retrogamers would be most grateful if this could be accomplished! :-)

#631 Karl G OFFLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• 851 posts

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:02 PM

It looks like that emulator is a port of a very old version of Stella (version 2.2), so there's no way ARM-based games like Space Rocks would work without a total rewrite.  A better bet would be to see if anyone is willing to port a more recent version of Stella to run a wider variety of games on the PSP.

#632 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Draconian

• Topic Starter
  • 12,807 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:14 PM

Correct, Space Rocks needs to be run on Stella 3.7.1 or newer due to it using the DPC+ coprocessor.  Older versions of Stella, like the one available for the PSP, are unable to run Space Rocks because they don't know how to emulate DPC+.  Other DPC+ games include, but are not limited to,

• Eggventure
  • Evil Magician Returns II
  • Scramble
  • Space Cactus Canyon
  • Stay Frosty 2
  • The Gizzle Wap
  • Tire Trax

Most recently we've developed the CDF coprocessor, which requires Stella 5.0.2 or newer so they won't work on the PSP either.  So far it's been used in:

• Draconian
  • Mappy
  • Super Cobra Arcade
  • Wizard of Wor Arcade

#633 classicgeek OFFLINE  

classicgeek

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:46 PM

Wow, I just got a tip about this game and as I was always an Asteroids god on the 2600, I had to try this.  I am amazed--THIS is what Asteroids should have been!  I like the fact that there are enemy ships regardless of difficulty switch settings.  The graphics are awesome and the collision detection is spot-on.  The post-hit invincibility is a nice touch as well.  The magma mines are a pain so I keep those disabled.  If there is anything I would take issue with it's one minor thing--there seems to be a short delay after destroying all the asteroids before new ones appear but that's no real problem.  I have turned the score over twice in one session on the original Asteroids cart but haven't done it even once on this game.  My highest score is 58,650

Edited by classicgeek, Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:29 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users