IGNORED

Season 9 Round 4 - Super C

300k should be an easy accomplishment. It's basically beating the game, then playing through it halfway on the second loop. I'd like to eventually test how many times I can loop this game (I can max out the score in the first Contra), but I'm back at work now and personal time is short. :(

300k should be an easy accomplishment. It's basically beating the game, then playing through it halfway on the second loop. I'd like to eventually test how many times I can loop this game (I can max out the score in the first Contra), but I'm back at work now and personal time is short. :(

I'm hoping I can get at least a two loop game.

One of the parts I hate the most is in one of the last levels where there are catacomb type things on both sides and stupid red things fly at you. On the score I got 50 less than you I ended up dieing there like 3 times because I didn't have a good weapon.

I'm hoping I can get at least a two loop game.

One of the parts I hate the most is in one of the last levels where there are catacomb type things on both sides and stupid red things fly at you. On the score I got 50 less than you I ended up dieing there like 3 times because I didn't have a good weapon.

I now realize what you're talking about, Austin. I finally wrapped it today, with a new score. Usually, Konami makes the game more difficult on the consecutive loops (ala Lifeforce) but this one, they didn't....which gives very little reason to play through again, except for a better score.

It's not that the game is very hard, but there's a lot of luck. You have to constantly look over your shoulder, as you can get knocked out quick at any point. And you better hope that doesn't happen when you really need it, like PSatyr mentioned above.

The bosses overall are much easier than the first Contra. I was going to save a mini-review until the end of the scoring, but I'll make some quick observations. First, and this includes both Contra games, how in the heck did they get away with the blatant ripping off of the Alien franchise?...some of these aliens are so close, they might as well have called the game "Aliens" and nobody would have batted an eye!

Second, while I enjoy this game overall, I think it's inferior to the original. The levels look great, but somethings missing. The bosses look amazing, but don't require much to beat them (maybe Area 6, 7, that's it). Playing through with two players would be a massacre, I would think.

The theme is still great, and it's a fun playthrough, but I don't see myself coming back like I do to the original. The lack of gameplay difficulty after beating it really disppoints, as does the (now mandatory) lack of a decent end sequence, lol!

I'm ready to start the next round, as I can't see myself trying to beat it again with all the randomness that can end a high score round:

New Score: 202,100

I just realized that I gotta get a top score in this game to make up the spread and get me into the running this season, lol!...time to put in some hours!!!

Edited by atarilovesyou

It's not that the game is very hard, but there's a lot of luck. You have to constantly look over your shoulder, as you can get knocked out quick at any point. And you better hope that doesn't happen when you really need it, like PSatyr mentioned above.

I'm willing to argue that, asides from a small portion or two, there's only luck involved on early playthroughs when you don't really know the game. Past that point, enemy placement doesn't change except for the grunts that are constantly running at you from all sides. They are mostly like ants though--hardly a worry--and everything else is solid. Like any game of this kind though, watching out from all sides is something the player has to be conscious about. If they aren't, then, well, it's not so much about luck as it is the player not paying attention. :)

I think I mentioned it already, but if you guys really want to see hell, play the arcade version of this game. :evil:

I just realized that this isn't ending until tomorrow night (I thought it was done today). With all this talk, I might play again tonight. You better put up, guys!! :D

• Like 1

...um, nope. Just tried again for the ULTIMATE SCORE, but it's hopeless: I just can't make it past the 6th area on one life, and then you pay the price! Worse yet, I've now figured the part that's trickiest towards the end with the collapsing roof: use the F gun, as the explosions will take out the aliens that appear from the roof. Unfortunately I only had one life to start the level left after my many goofy deaths (and some not so goofy! That last level has you facing a turret ahead, yet sends endless runners from the opposite direction. The best is when I don't expect it; it's when I 'plan' that things go wrong!

So, I'm afraid my last score stands. I can't handle going through Area 4 one more time; I can't stand that boss, as that's where I usually get cheaped out with those lasers!

My new fave music however is that second overhead level with all the weird aliens...a bit of a frustrating level without S, and I always have to face off against the easy boss with the peashooter! Level 7 annoys as well, but at least it's doable even with the laser (actually, I prefer it on this level).

I'm willing to argue that, asides from a small portion or two, there's only luck involved on early playthroughs when you don't really know the game. Past that point, enemy placement doesn't change except for the grunts that are constantly running at you from all sides. They are mostly like ants though--hardly a worry--and everything else is solid. Like any game of this kind though, watching out from all sides is something the player has to be conscious about. If they aren't, then, well, it's not so much about luck as it is the player not paying attention. :)

I think I mentioned it already, but if you guys really want to see hell, play the arcade version of this game. :evil:

I just realized that this isn't ending until tomorrow night (I thought it was done today). With all this talk, I might play again tonight. You better put up, guys!! :D

I hear ya, but it's those runners that I call luck. Being aware does you no good when you have one of two options: keep firing forward and die, or stand up to shoot the guy behind and die. In the final level, with the fastest runners (and turret bullets) you have to do a pretty skillful jump to avoid death...that's the luck part, you sometimes have enough time to destroy what's in front without having to worry about runners. And when you're on a roll, those deaths make a man mad :grin:

Well I'll have to see how demoralizing the scores get before tomorrow...I just 'might' try again, but I can't promise, lol...my whole intention with the HSC is to get back into older games for fun, but the competition is a new aspect that makes me play these games in a whole new light...especially games that I used to only think about the 'finishing factor'.

I hear ya, but it's those runners that I call luck. Being aware does you no good when you have one of two options: keep firing forward and die, or stand up to shoot the guy behind and die. In the final level, with the fastest runners (and turret bullets) you have to do a pretty skillful jump to avoid death...that's the luck part, you sometimes have enough time to destroy what's in front without having to worry about runners. And when you're on a roll, those deaths make a man mad :grin:

About the "runners", what I typically do when playing normally is, with the spread shot, focus on aiming straight forward as I am running, occasionally reversing and shooting the other way for a quick second, and on the jungle stage, focusing on bouncing between shooting forward, and then diagonally, as I'm going. This covers the entire right side of the screen. The only thing left open is the left. If I get caught on a segment, say, that large turret on the jungle stage that shoots grenade-esque blasts into the sky, I will alternate between quickly shooting to the right, then to the left (with one shot or two), then back to the right. You have to keep bouncing back and forth like that when you play.

The head turret on the final stage--you can duck its shot. You can duck the shots of other turrets in the game as well, like the big ones on the first level.

Another tip--you can destroy some enemies, sometimes anyway, before they appear fully on the screen (before you trigger their firing action).

Stage 4--I don't know why this is giving you so much trouble. I'll try to walk you through it out of memory:

Beginning--There are two or three areas where bubbles fly down from the ceiling. Stand off to the left and keep shooting right until the bubbles stop coming. You will occasionally need to turn left and shoot the runners (most of them on this stage shoot at you--generally just two shots, so easy to avoid). Just one shot kills these guys, so don't worry about focusing on them too much.

Start of the veritical scrolling--The ceiling falls. Simply duck below the lowest platform. The ceiling will crash onto the platforms above you, protecting you in the process.

Working your way up--Take it slow. Watch out for the guys coming out of the walls (easy to spot due to the doorways). The big round turrets--they only shoot two bullets out at a time, usually in a slow pattern. Snipe them off from a distance if you can (easy with the spread shot since you don't have to aim for them directly). Or just time their shots and act accordingly if you are up close.

Elevator sections--Just keep shooting up, haha. There are some moving turrets ala Operation C on the Game Boy, and they are simple. There are a few more circle turrets--again, nothing special, especially if you've got Spread. Maybe there's another falling ceiling--just do what I mentioned earlier. You don't even have to shoot at it. Then there are the bubbles. The bubbles are tricky if you don't have the spread shot. Just be accurate with your shots.

Boss--lasers come down from one side to the next. Boss pauses, then the pattern repeats going the opposite way. He moves slowly to the left and the right as well--just gauge this so you don't get caught in the corner.

I'd upload my longplay of this game, but I ended up uploading my SNES DOOM longplay instead. Maybe I'll upload my Super C run in the next week or so and post it here so you can see what I mean. :)

Edited by Austin

Good stuff, Austin. Area 4 is more like a chore rather than difficult...and that boss just makes me impatient, so sometimes I'll lose a life due to that...it speeds up as you destroy each gun, and sometimes I get caught due to stupidity (I always seem to find the point where 'not' to be and get caught, lol).

I might give this another go tomorrow, but something tells me you guys are going to pull out a marathon effort!!!...lol.

Good stuff, Austin. Area 4 is more like a chore rather than difficult...and that boss just makes me impatient, so sometimes I'll lose a life due to that...it speeds up as you destroy each gun, and sometimes I get caught due to stupidity (I always seem to find the point where 'not' to be and get caught, lol).

I found on my last loop that it's easiest if you have the spread shot, and just blow away the middle portion of this boss. Then you have a guaranteed safe space to sit when it's moving back and forth. :)

I might give this another go tomorrow, but something tells me you guys are going to pull out a marathon effort!!!...lol.

I tried. I really did. I could only manage to put myself through four loops, then I stopped. Took me about an hour and a half. My highest as of now: 881,050

I even goofed off on this run. First loop, I played normally. Died once, I believe, by accident. Second loop, started messing around. Used the machine gun for most of the game. Died quite a few times (made it back up in extra lives). Third loop, I purposely used the stock/default gun through the whole game. Definitely more of a challenge that way! The "runner" enemies were noticeably more frequent here. Fourth loop, played normally again with the spread shot. Got bored afterwards! This game just doesn't ramp up in difficulty fast enough to make looping it enjoyable. The biggest culprit is that you get far too many extra lives on each run. Even if you die four or five times, it's made up completely (and some) by the end of the game. By the last loop, the runner enemies were much more common than before. Definitely had to watch out for them, especially on the vertical stages where the left and right sides are open at all times. Bosses didn't really take any longer to kill though (they did in the first Contra) and the enemies, while shooting a tiny bit faster, weren't upgraded or anything.

post-24675-0-68775600-1336630810_thumb.png

I found on my last loop that it's easiest if you have the spread shot, and just blow away the middle portion of this boss. Then you have a guaranteed safe space to sit when it's moving back and forth. :)

I tried. I really did. I could only manage to put myself through four loops, then I stopped. Took me about an hour and a half. My highest as of now: 881,050

I even goofed off on this run. First loop, I played normally. Died once, I believe, by accident. Second loop, started messing around. Used the machine gun for most of the game. Died quite a few times (made it back up in extra lives). Third loop, I purposely used the stock/default gun through the whole game. Definitely more of a challenge that way! The "runner" enemies were noticeably more frequent here. Fourth loop, played normally again with the spread shot. Got bored afterwards! This game just doesn't ramp up in difficulty fast enough to make looping it enjoyable. The biggest culprit is that you get far too many extra lives on each run. Even if you die four or five times, it's made up completely (and some) by the end of the game. By the last loop, the runner enemies were much more common than before. Definitely had to watch out for them, especially on the vertical stages where the left and right sides are open at all times. Bosses didn't really take any longer to kill though (they did in the first Contra) and the enemies, while shooting a tiny bit faster, weren't upgraded or anything.

post-24675-0-68775600-1336630810_thumb.png

Finishing the game with the peashooter?...wow. I've only done it at times because I had to, not by choice! LOL...you're right about the Area 4 laser boss...I just kept trying to take out the left and it usually ended up in sorrow.

On my final score, I shat the bed on Area 6...blasted Area 6! I swear that level hates my guts. I can't tell you how many stupid deaths I died, starting with that damn 'teeth monster' pit! I mean, I have the spread gun, all ready to go and...I'll somehow friggin die on one of these mouths!!! Unbelievable.

I can now beat the Area 7 boss with the peashooter, again, not by choice but because I can never seem to make it there with a decent weapon!

My final run was up til that boss, then I died about three painful times. It's the egg pod section: if I don't have a decent weapon, it's all over but the crying. And the final level isn't so bad at all....I'm all about the F gun for that final area. Makes the final boss a little tougher, but that boss is just a joke compared to the final boss in Contra.

Overall, this game is good but lacks that 'something' the first one has...that 'keep em coming back' factor. There's lots of good things about Super C, and with some tweaks, it could be just as good as the first.

Bosses: way too easy. Most can be beat by finding that one spot where you can fire without taking a hit. Visually, they're amazing to look at....but usually in this game, the better the graphics, the easier the boss!

The runners ruin this game for me. Level 7 is the worst for this: you're pinned on an edge by necessity (taking out those tall purple monsters who lob shots at you), and you need to concentrate your fire at them but then they'll throw a runner at you....super cheap. Maybe that's why they award so many extra lives!

The game's difficulty doesn't really go up, at least not to what I could tell in the second loop...I could notice the extra runners too, but I was thinking maybe more shooting enemies would show up. Not the case, and the bosses are the same from what I could tell.

The challenge in the game is consistency...once you've got the levels figured out, like Austin said, it's just a matter of watching out for runners (or random alien egg jumpers, I hate those guys! The F gun makes em a bit easier to toast from a distance but the rate of fire is terrible). Maxing the score is a matter of time, really...nothing more to it than that. I doubt I'll play this game solo for a long time, but as a two player coop it's a lot more fun. Ya just gotta find someone willing to play it!...lol, not the easiest thing to do, convincing Modern Warfare gamers to play NES :grin:

Well I was gonna save my score for later, but oh well!...I can only hope that Satyr has to go to work or something, lol:

FINAL SCORE:

001-1.jpg

I've got it paused in the middle of the third loop to give my hands a rest. I'm hoping that I can come in first for once. Getting second place every week is fun and all though :-D

691,290 Might give it a couple more tries. Dont have anything else today to do other than get a haircut.

GAH!!!...I might try to give it shot today, but after yesterday it was pretty much a chore.

My fear would be if the score wraps over itself...you never really know what score you have until you die or finish a level; what happens if you max it out and it flips? Not that I'm in danger of doing so, but that...would...suck! :mad:

Well I'm on my 8th loop and about to hit 2,000,000 points. I've got about 25 lives and it seems that getting lives is easier....maybe because of more runners? I'm sure I'll go nuts eventually and either die or stop.

I might start doing a couple shots every time I complete a loop. That might get me dead faster.

024res.jpg

Sorry for the blurry picture. I'm playing on a CRT tv with a toaster so getting a clear pic is kinda hard. once I gameover I'll get a nice crisp one.

Just so I have an official score though (incase I pass out or go insane).

There are a lot more runners and more red guys are popping up to take pot shots at me. Still have 30 some lives I think though. I'll see how far I can get without my wife going nuts.

• Like 1