Photo

FLASHBACK AND ZOOM

11 replies to this topic

#1 Clay OFFLINE  

Clay

Moonsweeper

• 252 posts

Posted Sun May 6, 2012 9:22 PM

Well I am driving back to San Diego from Dallas I decided to listen to some old Retro Gaming RoundUp podcasts. I am listening to the March 2011 podcast and the talk is on the 10 top all time Genesis games. Much to my surprise both Flashback and Zoom made the top ten list for the Genesis.

From what I have seen here I do not believe many people here would put these two titles on the top 10 Jag list.

I was wondering if anyone here has played both the Jag and Genesis versions and if so are the Genesis versions that much better or maybe I am wrong about people's opinion on these 2 games for the Jag. They definitely do not make my 10 ten list. To me Zoom is the better of the 2 games.

Oh BTW: Sensible Soccer got an honorable mention too.

For those who be interested in listening to the Podcast: http://www.retrogami...11_roundups.htm

#2 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,889 posts

Posted Sun May 6, 2012 11:51 PM

There's a lot of slowdown in the Jaguar version. That's what keeps me from playing it over other versions. I prefer the Sega CD version the most. The FMV is grainy (unlike the 3DO version), but the in-game soundtrack is great, and there's no slowdown. Top 10 game? Hm. It is a fantastic game, that is, if you are into Prince of Persia style gameplay. If you aren't, then, well.. you probably won't like this game. I think at one point in time I would have easily put it as one of my favorite games out there, period, but that was a long time ago, and I haven't even completed it from start to finish since the '90s.

#3 Major Havoc 2049 OFFLINE  

Major Havoc 2049

Dragonstomper

• 578 posts

Posted Mon May 7, 2012 1:01 AM

Not sure what Zoom is...Zool 2? Zoop?

Games like Flashback, Syndicate, Cannon Fodder and Sensible Soccer don’t get talked about that much in the Jaguar community, but in the grand scheme of video games, they are considered classics. In the PC and Amiga community, Flashback and Syndicate are considered legendary and both are million+ sellers and have won numerous awards. Sensible Soccer and Cannon Fodder were massive hits in the Amiga community and also won numerous awards. Both Sensible Soccer and Cannon Fodder were also on the Atari ST, so some people in the Atari community had already played those games. The problem with the Jaguar versions is that they are pretty much just strait up ports of the Amiga versions, with very little upgrades in graphics and sound/music at all and by the time they got to the Jaguar, they were already several years old.

Top/Best of lists if done by a single person or a small group of people are always subjective anyways, but I have seen numerous Top/Best of lists with Flashback and Syndicate in them. In my opinion, both Syndicate and Flashback are in my Jaguar Top 10. I’m in the minority, but Syndicate is my favorite Peter Molyneux game of all time and I still have a blast playing it to this day. And while I’m not a super big platformer gamer, I would consider Flashback one of the better platformers I have ever played. And again, that is subjective, as I prefer “serious/realistic” action-adventure platformers like Impossible Mission, Prince of Persia, Another World, Flashback, Rolling Thunder, Ninja Gaiden, etc., over “cutesy/character” platformers like Mario, Sonic, Zool, Bonk, etc.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049, Mon May 7, 2012 1:03 AM.

#4 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,889 posts

Posted Mon May 7, 2012 3:58 PM

Zoom is a Genesis game.

#5 sh3-rg OFFLINE  

sh3-rg

River Patroller

• 2,106 posts
  • absent

Posted Tue May 8, 2012 12:29 AM

Zoom is a Genesis game.

Never seen or heard of Zoom before, looks more fun than Zool and Zoop ;-)

#6 Clay OFFLINE  

Clay

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 252 posts

Posted Tue May 8, 2012 10:56 PM

Zoom is a Genesis game.

Never seen or heard of Zoom before, looks more fun than Zool and Zoop ;-)

Yeah, mixed up those two games, sorry. So only Flashback.

#7 Zerosquare ONLINE  

Zerosquare

Stargunner

• 1,805 posts

Posted Sat May 12, 2012 4:39 PM

Zoom looks similar to Painter (homebrew) on an tilted plane :

#8 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,889 posts

Posted Sat May 12, 2012 4:55 PM

Just wanted to give you a heads up that I coincidentally received Flashback for the Genesis in the mail yesterday (a buddy sent a surprise box of goodies, and that happened to be in it!). I tried it out for a few minutes just to draw comparisons. Overall, both the Jag and Genesis ones are pretty close. If I recall correctly, the Jaguar version has some extra background details on certain stages (like New Washington), which I don't think are in this version (I wasn't able to get that far, but they're not in the Sega CD one, so I think I am safe on that assumption). The cutscenes move a tad bit slower than the Jaguar version, but not much more so (this is judging by the intro segment as well as picking up the holocube on the first stage). I wasn't able to get to the point where there is noticeable slowdown in the Jag version, so I can't compare that aspect of the game. Music-wise, the Jag version has the edge, sounding a little more "sample-like". Still, both versions don't feature constant in-game music, so take that for better or for worse.

#9 evilevoix OFFLINE  

evilevoix

Chopper Commander

• 167 posts

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:44 PM

Flashback is an amazing game on any system

#10 VladR OFFLINE  

VladR

Moonsweeper

• 298 posts

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:59 AM

Zoom is a Genesis game.

That is a fantastic and inspirative concept ! Haven`t seen this game before, but it sure looks fun. Great arcade concept combined with pseudo-3D graphics ! I can easily imagine 5-10 improvements that would make it look much better on Jag.

#11 R.O.T.S OFFLINE  

R.O.T.S

Moonsweeper

• 297 posts

Posted Mon Jul 2, 2012 1:33 PM

Flashback is an amazing game on any system

I agree and are hoping to play the Sega CD version in the next week or so,i have been told that the sound is much better and on the first jungle level you can hear distant drums. 8)

#12 theloon OFFLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• 7,872 posts

Posted Mon Jul 2, 2012 1:37 PM

I personally beat Zoom! on the Genesis. To this day I hear "Come On Boy!" in my sleep..

Is Zoom! quirky like a Jag game? Yes. Is it worth playing through all those levels? Nope.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users