Photo

ATARI 2600 KNOCKOUT FINAL: BUCK ROGERS/MS. PAC-MAN/CRAZY CLIMBER/ENDURO

130 replies to this topic

#126 Deteacher OFFLINE  

Deteacher

River Patroller

• 2,855 posts

Posted Mon May 21, 2012 10:24 AM

Congrats to Toymailman! You, sir, are one tough competitor. My hat goes off to you. Jifremok and Vocelli also put in amazing efforts. This KO tourney was so much fun. Looking forward to Mountain King and Reactor. Big thanks to Jacob for organizing and running the tournament! What fun! :)

I achieved the goals I set for this competition. I wanted to at least make the finals and get one king status to myself. :)

So, when's the next KO tourney start? Want us to start picking new games yet? LOL!

#127 Scrabbler15 OFFLINE  

Scrabbler15

Stargunner

• 1,197 posts

Posted Mon May 21, 2012 4:27 PM

In the movie "The Search for Bobby Fischer", Josh Waitzkin ponders to himself before a tournament he is favored to win. He says, "Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's okay."

Toymailman, I was thinking about that quote during our tourney. In my mind, you were the favorite going in, just from playing here with you the last couple of years. But being favored and actually putting it all together every week are two different things. You brought your A game all along, and then when you got to the finals, you brought it up another notch to an A+ game. Watching it happen was better than cable.

C :thumbsup: O :thumbsup: N :thumbsup: G :thumbsup: R :thumbsup: A :thumbsup: T :thumbsup: U :thumbsup: L :thumbsup: A :thumbsup: T :thumbsup: I :thumbsup: O :thumbsup: N :thumbsup: S :thumbsup:
T :thumbsup: O :thumbsup: Y :thumbsup: M :thumbsup: A :thumbsup: I :thumbsup: L :thumbsup: M :thumbsup: A :thumbsup: N :thumbsup:

Kudos, also, to Deteacher, Jifremok, and Vocelli for making the finals. It was long road to get there and you each made a great effort. :thumbsup:

Quick nod to everybody who played and played their best. You made this fun.

Shout out to cparsley for brainstorming the concept.

Big thanks to Jacob for handling the administrative duties. Your dedication to keeping track of all aspects of this tourney was well appreciated. Great Job.

And a final word to Toymailman - we'll all be gunning for you next time. So, enjoy your victory. You deserved it. But next season is coming. ;)

#128 toymailman OFFLINE  

toymailman

Stargunner

• 1,987 posts

Posted Tue May 22, 2012 12:18 AM

Thanks guys!

Scrabbler15, I don't think my own mother could have written something nicer. :thumbsup: :)

#129 Cortat G OFFLINE  

Cortat G

Dragonstomper

• 698 posts
  • Minor lacerations detected.

Posted Tue May 22, 2012 4:31 AM

Congrats! toymailman! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:epicclapplz.gif :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

To Deteacher, Vocelli, Jifremok, JacobZu7zu7 and everyone else who made this possible:
MShippo37915.jpg

#130 JacobZu7zu7 OFFLINE  

JacobZu7zu7

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,540 posts

Posted Tue May 22, 2012 6:54 AM

GRAND TOTALS-POINTS EARNED (ALL FOUR GAMES COMBINED)

1. toymailman - 54 pts
2. oyamafamily - 49 pts
3. Liduario - 47 pts
4. Jifremok - 46 pts
5. Deteacher - 42 pts
6. Gorfy - 40 pts
6. Vocelli - 40 pts
8. JacobZu7zu7 - 39 pts
9. Scrabbler15 - 37 pts
10. LarcenTyler - 23 pts
11. jblenkle - 20 pts
12. classicgamer_3370 - 19 pts

#131 Jifremok OFFLINE  

Jifremok

Moonsweeper

• 326 posts

Posted Sat May 26, 2012 11:24 PM

And down I go in yet another final.

A hearty congrats to Toymailman for winning the finals. What a shame I didn't bet any money on this.

Congrats to Deteacher and Vocelli for winning their games. Too bad I didn't win a single one.

And thanks to the other participants, especially the ones who continues to play well after their elimination. And also to late showers who seem like they're gonna kick some ass next season. And to Oyama and Liduario for getting between me and Toymailman (see ranking post above) and showing that finalists aren't guaranteed to stay at the top of the heap.

Buck Rogers feels in many ways what I'd already known Sega to do in recent days, having good general gameplay marred by glitches and unpolishedness.
Crazy Climber is...well, crazy. I always struggled with them girders, and always felt lucky whenever I survived a part here those kept falling. And where the hell are those girders coming from anyway?
Enduro, I'm not really convinced that it's a race. Everyone else drives at some liesurely pace, and you're the only maniac on the road zooming past everything. I love how it's possible to recover from mistakes. Then again, I tend to dislike games that ask players to be PERFECT.
Ms Pac-Man was something I'd never bothered to give a chance since I thought it was just the same ol' Ms Pac-Man that I already have on 7800. I was wrong, this feels very different. Too bad the "endgame" makes you need to be lucky with the fruit to score high.

Edited by Jifremok, Sat May 26, 2012 11:26 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users