IGNORED

WTB: -Good- CD-i Games

gzsfrk

Hey! Just got my first CD-i, and now I'm looking for both suggestions and purchase opportunities for a few of the titles released for the system that would qualify as "good". I already have the Don Bluth Animation games (DL 1 & 2, Space Ace) as well as Kingdom the Far Reaches and Escape from Cyber City. Also have Tetris (okay), Alien Gate (crap), and Video Speedway (rancid crap). In addition, I have a copies of Hotel Mario and Burn: Cycle enroute.

I've only heard of a few other games specific to the system that are said to be genuinely decent (if not excellent): The Apprentice, Zenith, Mutant Rampage, and.... Thunder in Paradise? (Don't laugh; I've read that it's actually a decent FMV shooter.)

So does anyone have copies of these or other "good" CD-i games that they'd be willing to sell at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

I used to have quite a few I will check and see what I have left ....dark castle I think that was a good one. Palm springs open golf was really cool and different if you like golf...tennis was ok....7th guest was probably the best on cd-i.

I know I still have dark castle and I might have thunder in paradise still. I haven't sold a cd-I game in a long time so not even sure what to ask. Where are you located?

I LOVED the Dark Castle games on my C64. Thunder in Paradise has piqued my interest, if for no other reason than I've read it falls into that "so bad it's good" categories with regard to the videos, but that the gameplay is actually quite decent. I've got a bid out on the CD-i version of 7th Guest that closes tomorrow, so I might have that one enroute in the near future. But I'd definitely love to hear what, if anything, you still have available that you might be willing to sell.

Thanks for the response!

- Matt W.

Doh! Got sniped on the copy of 7th Guest I was bidding on. So I guess I'm in the market for that one again. :) On the bright side, I did find a SUPER cheap copy of Dark Castle (NIB) on Amazon. $8 shipped! :)

Dark Castle is terrible on the CD-i. Avoid like the plague.

Good games: Burn:Cycle, The Apprentice, Lemmings, Flashback: The Quest for Identity, Zenith, erm.. You might like Mystic Midway: Rest in Pieces if you like simplistic gameplay. Hotel Mario also gets bashed (probably due to the FMV), but it's a solid little arcade-style game. May get repetitive, but it's worth playing. TBH, it's slim pickins' on the CD-i.

Personally, I thought Alien Gate was decent. That is, if you are using the mouse. If you are using a controller, it plays like crap. Keep in mind, the CD-i was designed to be used with analog-style devices first and foremost, so a lot of games control best with the mouse or trackball (or roller ball, if you want to have that hulking beast of a controller in your collection). All games can use these devices as well.

Dark Castle is terrible on the CD-i. Avoid like the plague.

Dang... already shipped and on the way. Ah well, $8 isn't so bad.

Good games: Burn:Cycle, The Apprentice, Lemmings, Flashback: The Quest for Identity, Zenith, erm.. You might like Mystic Midway: Rest in Pieces if you like simplistic gameplay.

Already have Burn Cycle on the way. Just got Flashback on the Jaguar, so not sure if I want another copy of that just yet. Can't find a copy of Zenith for sale anywhere, but it looks great. Rest in Pieces looks like complete and utter crap based on the videos I watched; almost like being forced to participate in a

. The Apprentice looks great, but the only copy of it I can find for sale is going for $43+shipping on eBay--waayyyyy too much to spend for what would just be a mediocre-to-good game on a proper console.

Hotel Mario also gets bashed (probably due to the FMV), but it's a solid little arcade-style game. May get repetitive, but it's worth playing.

I've found this to be the case as well. HM was the first game I ordered after getting the CD-i, and I find it to be a really fun little puzzle-strategy-arcade game. There's certainly nothing else quite like it in my collection, and cheesy animated sequences aside, it's actually got some pretty good production values. I think a lot if not most of the negative opinion surrounding the game is based in James Rolfe (AVGN) trashing it in his CD-i review. But watching that, it seems like most of his complaints were around the controls, which I found to be quite intuitive. Ah well, subjective opinion is subjective.

Thanks for the recommendations! I've definitely got all these on my "opportunistic buy" list. :)

Edited by gzsfrk

Oh and speaking of the CD-i Roller Controller, I don't suppose you know of anyone that has one for sale? Can't seem to find one listed anywhere, and it looks like it would be perfect for letting me little 3yo girl play some of the kids' games for the system.

Dang... already shipped and on the way. Ah well, $8 isn't so bad.

Yeah, if it was complete, $8 isn't a bad price just to have it. Curious to know your thoughts when you get it though.

Can't find a copy of Zenith for sale anywhere, but it looks great.

If I remember correctly, Zenith was a pretty late release game, 1997-ish or so, as surprising as it sounds! I was able to snag mine a few months ago, and surprisingly that copy had sat on eBay for a couple of months. Ended up buying it for around $25. Not really what I wanted to pay, but for games like this where you don't know if they will appear again, it wasn't too bad.

Rest in Pieces looks like complete and utter crap based on the videos I watched; almost like being forced to participate in a

I feel the gameplay is fun, like a simple carnival style shooting game. Gets difficult rather quickly, so it demands some good eye-hand coordination as well as decision making, unlike a lot of CD-i titles. The production values on the visual end are pretty nice for the time as well ('91 or '92), featuring some of the smoothest animation on the CD-i. The cheesy FMV--you can skip through it, so pretend like it doesn't exist. Give it a shot (or burn a copy to see if you like it)--it's a fun game, IMO. The follow-up, Mystic Midway: Phantom Express, is what you want to steer clear of. Terrible game.

The Apprentice looks great, but the only copy of it I can find for sale is going for $43+shipping on eBay--waayyyyy too much to spend for what would just be a mediocre-to-good game on a proper console.

Yep, that's too much for it. It's a quality game, for sure--it's just not worth that kind of money. I was outbid on two copies, one after another, a couple of months back. Both auctions ended around the $25 - $30 mark. That's about as high as I would go for a copy, but I'd prefer to pay less if I could.

Hotel Mario also gets bashed (probably due to the FMV), but it's a solid little arcade-style game. May get repetitive, but it's worth playing.

I've found this to be the case as well. HM was the first game I ordered after getting the CD-i, and I find it to be a really fun little puzzle-strategy-arcade game. There's certainly nothing else quite like it in my collection, and cheesy animated sequences aside, it's actually got some pretty good production values. I think a lot if not most of the negative opinion surrounding the game is based in James Rolfe (AVGN) trashing it in his CD-i review. But watching that, it seems like most of his complaints were around the controls, which I found to be quite intuitive. Ah well, subjective opinion is subjective.

Yep, I think the AVGN video hasn't done it any favors, that's for sure!

Oh and speaking of the CD-i Roller Controller, I don't suppose you know of anyone that has one for sale? Can't seem to find one listed anywhere, and it looks like it would be perfect for letting me little 3yo girl play some of the kids' games for the system.

Unfortunately, I do not. Keep your eyes peeled on eBay though for accessories like the mouse or trackball--the mouse especially generally sells for cheap. About six months ago as well, you could get new in box mice for a little over $20 after shipping (it's how I got mine).

Keep your eyes peeled on eBay though for accessories like the mouse or trackball--the mouse especially generally sells for cheap. About six months ago as well, you could get new in box mice for a little over $20 after shipping (it's how I got mine).

Ha! Coincidentally enough, my NOS CD-i Mouse arrived in the mail yesterday. As for what I paid, you were close: got mine for $25 shipped. Not too bad, only now, since it looks so nice and pristine in its packaging, I hate to take it out of the box. Almost ready to try and find a ragged out mouse or trackball controller to use instead. Also, I love the metal mousepad that came with the mouse. Far superior to the packed-in plastic one that came with Mario Paint. :)