133 replies to this topic

#51 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,556 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Sat May 19, 2012 2:31 PM

OMG - thanks so much for the mention of ANSI Term. You have saved my eyes! Try TAZ with your BBS and you will have a seizure. 30Hz flicker (screen flipping to get the 16 colours). I have no idea how ANSI Term is doing 16 colours in medium rez mode without flicker?

Probably (I'm guessing) some of the same techniques that games and software like Spectrum 512 and Photochrome use.

You have seen Photochrome pictures on the ST, right?

I have. However, I noticed last night that ANSITerm is using the same "trick" that Ice-T XE does on the 8-bit for 80 columns (4X8 font), and it runs in lo-res mode.

#52 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,214 posts

Posted Sat May 19, 2012 3:42 PM

Ah, so that's it. Well, its effective, I'll give them that.

Photochrome is freaking amazing. I think they put more colors on scan lines than
is normally possible. Again, however they do it, the result is awesome, thousands
of colors in pictures from a machine that's supposed to be 16 colors at best. :)

#53 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,214 posts

Posted Mon May 21, 2012 4:10 PM

Okay, just for the fun of it, I posted this problem to the techs at Lantronix. Here is the first response:

(first line after the "Hi Ronald" made me laugh)... :)

--------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Ronald,

Atari ST, eh? I need to fire up the old Amiga 500, then.

Do you have telnet server mode turned on on either the UDS-10 or UDS1100? This would equate to disconnect mode 40 in the telnet configuration under Channel Settings.

Normally, when you see something like this, it is a mismatch. It is either the protocols that both sides of the connection are using over the network (telnet to TCP or vice versa) or at the far ends (the terminal program and the BBS using different terminal emulations).

If you are tunneling between UDS's and the connection is RAW, we do not alter a thing. We send exactly what comes in the serial port over to the other side and the other side sends exactly what it got from the network packet.

Can you telnet to both units on port 9999 and send the screen that comes up right after hitting enter? It shows a summary of the configuration.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I just did that, posted the summary's for both the UDS10 and UDS1100.

I'll wait and see what they have to say about it.

#54 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,214 posts

Posted Mon May 21, 2012 4:17 PM

Okay, I've been trying to check to see if I've got the latest revisions on each UDS.

I *think* I've got the latest revision on the UDS1100 (its firmware page is a bit confusing), its currently:

Software version V6.5.0.0 (070402)

Now it looks like the UDS10 is not the latest though:

Software version V5.8.0.1 (041112) LTX

is what it's showing, and I just downloaded the latest revision which is the "ltx5805.rom".

Now I've got to try to remember how I updated the last time since I don't have Windows.

I'm thinking I used tftp under Linux. More homework...

#55 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,214 posts

Posted Mon May 21, 2012 4:37 PM

Yeah, okay - that was how I did it before. I sudo apt-get installed tfpt just now
and used it to update both the rom and cob files on the UDS10.

It's fully updated to the latest firmware now.

#56 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,214 posts

Posted Mon May 21, 2012 6:07 PM

Okay, here is their next response:

------------------------------------------
Have you tried this setup with a RAW connection instead of telnet? A tunnel between two UDSs should generally not be a telnet connection because they are both servers, neither are a client. It can make for some odd results with regard to negotiating the connection. Change bit 6 to 0 on both sides of the connection and see what happens.
-----------------------------------------

Wasn't sure about "bit 6" so I asked and they said do this:

In the case of your configuration, you would change the Disconnect Mode from C0 to 80.

Well, I tried that. I changed the Disconnect Mode on both the UDS10 and UDS1100 from C0 to 80.

First off, it then made funky characters appear even under my Linux telnet sessions, as well as
showing double characters for everthing I typed in.

With the UDS10 to the UDS1100, it caused the funky characters to appear both before AND after
all your keypresses.

I sent this to Lantronix and I've not got an update on that yet, so I reverted both Disconnect Mode
settings on the UDS10 and 1100 back to C0.

Oh, I tried switching C0 and 80 around on the two UDS's, just to see and it still gave some funky
characters either way.

It does seem (though odd to me) that Disconnect Mode has some bearing on this, because when
you change it, it does change what shows up on each key press. Now if I could find a setting for it
that does away with anything besides the actual keypress itself being shown...

#57 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,556 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Tue May 22, 2012 4:16 PM

Interesting. Thanks for still looking at this. Let me know if there is anything else I can test for you.

#58 ProWizard OFFLINE  

ProWizard

River Patroller

• 4,540 posts
  • Into Stampede

Posted Tue May 22, 2012 4:42 PM

Hi Darklord!

A few posts ago I wrote you about the two different ports on the MSS100. Port 2001 and 3001. Port 3001 gives a RAW connection, and port 2001 a Telnet (or vice versa). I wrote (IIRC) that the heart problem I have (see screenshots) is solved when I use the RAW connection, in stead of telnet. Problem with RAW connection is that you can not have a binary transfer.

So the main question is now: how do you realise a raw connection on your setup, since it does not have these two ports.

Perhaps the idea of that 'disconnection bit' is extra, undocumented features ... so it does not really has something to do with disconnection.

I think it is really worth a try to try further on with that RAW/Telnet thing.

Greetz
M.

#59 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,214 posts

Posted Wed May 23, 2012 1:02 AM

Hi Darklord!

A few posts ago I wrote you about the two different ports on the MSS100. Port 2001 and 3001. Port 3001 gives a RAW connection, and port 2001 a Telnet (or vice versa). I wrote (IIRC) that the heart problem I have (see screenshots) is solved when I use the RAW connection, in stead of telnet. Problem with RAW connection is that you can not have a binary transfer.

So the main question is now: how do you realise a raw connection on your setup, since it does not have these two ports.

Perhaps the idea of that 'disconnection bit' is extra, undocumented features ... so it does not really has something to do with disconnection.

I think it is really worth a try to try further on with that RAW/Telnet thing.

Greetz
M.

Have to check this out and see if there is something in the guide.

Thanks!

#60 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,214 posts

Posted Wed May 23, 2012 1:04 AM

Turns out that my UDS1100 wasn't quite up to date on the latest firmware, but
I updated that this evening so both UDS10 and UDS1100 are both running with
the latest firmware revisions now.

EDIT: Oh, didn't make any difference either - still get the same funky "j'" stuff.

#61 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,214 posts

Posted Wed May 23, 2012 4:53 PM

Interesting. Thanks for still looking at this. Let me know if there is anything else I can test for you.

No problem - high time I got around to actually calling my Atari based BBS with an actual <cough> Atari. :D

I'm having trouble getting "out" to other systems. I've got the gateway set to 192.168.1.1, which is
what my router is set to, so it should be okay. I've got no restrictions on the ip address that the
UDS10 is using (192.168.1.102) so I'm not sure what it's doing.

Does Marius's BBS have a port number you have to use? I tried to find one in his posts but didn't see
any. I tried just dialing his IP, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx but that didn't work. I tried it with port 23, and 10001 also.

Thanks.

EDIT: Well, I went to the telnet BBS guide page and picked random entries from there. As long as they
had a port listed, I could logon to them with my UDS10/STacy., so it is getting out, so don't know what
the problem is with Atari-Inside (Marius). Maybe I just don't have the right port, eh?

#62 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,556 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Thu May 24, 2012 8:57 AM

No problem - high time I got around to actually calling my Atari based BBS with an actual <cough> Atari. :D

I'm having trouble getting "out" to other systems. I've got the gateway set to 192.168.1.1, which is
what my router is set to, so it should be okay. I've got no restrictions on the ip address that the
UDS10 is using (192.168.1.102) so I'm not sure what it's doing.

Does Marius's BBS have a port number you have to use? I tried to find one in his posts but didn't see
any. I tried just dialing his IP, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx but that didn't work. I tried it with port 23, and 10001 also.

Thanks.

EDIT: Well, I went to the telnet BBS guide page and picked random entries from there. As long as they
had a port listed, I could logon to them with my UDS10/STacy., so it is getting out, so don't know what
the problem is with Atari-Inside (Marius). Maybe I just don't have the right port, eh?

I'll have to try his BBS this evening. It's usually 23 when none of specified, and I see you manually entered that.

#63 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,214 posts

Posted Thu May 24, 2012 9:14 AM

I'll have to try his BBS this evening. It's usually 23 when none of specified, and I see you manually entered that.

Yep, ended up trying 23, 10001, and 8888 just for the fun of it. :)

I have no problems at all connecting to his board with telnet under Linux.

#64 thgill OFFLINE  

thgill

Moonsweeper

• 323 posts
  • Pants: Optional

Posted Thu May 24, 2012 10:19 AM

Thinking about getting a Lantronix MSS-100 off of eBay.

Good choice for Atari use?

#65 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,214 posts

Posted Thu May 24, 2012 8:41 PM

Thinking about getting a Lantronix MSS-100 off of eBay.

Good choice for Atari use?

Hey guy. I've never used the MSS models, only the UDS ones.

But everything I've read says that all the Lantronix devices do good.

If I remember right (and I think Stephen just posted something about
this not too long ago), the MSS models will do DNS lookup. In other
words, instead of typing in "atdt173.80.218.58,23", you'd just type
in atdt darkforce-bbs.dyndns,.org, or something similar. :)

At Lantronix's web site, the MSS models are considerably more
expensive than the UDS models. Hope you get a good deal on
yours!

#66 thgill OFFLINE  

thgill

Moonsweeper

• 323 posts
  • Pants: Optional

Posted Thu May 24, 2012 9:00 PM

There is a seller on eBay selling used MSS-100s for like $36 shipped. With PSU.

Seems like a good deal.

#67 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,556 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Thu May 24, 2012 9:18 PM

There is a seller on eBay selling used MSS-100s for like $36 shipped. With PSU.

Seems like a good deal.

That's a great price! Get one, you'll like it.

#68 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,214 posts

Posted Thu May 24, 2012 9:32 PM

Sure does sound good.

Here is a link to Lantronix's web page for this product - you can look it over.

http://www.lantronix...ers/mss100.html

#69 ProWizard OFFLINE  

ProWizard

River Patroller

• 4,540 posts
  • Into Stampede

Posted Fri May 25, 2012 3:28 AM

Did you get eventually on my Board with your UDS10?

It is port 23 indeed btw.

Perhaps someone else was online?

p.s. darklord I will mail you the requested file soon...

#70 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,214 posts

Posted Fri May 25, 2012 9:55 AM

Did you get eventually on my Board with your UDS10?

It is port 23 indeed btw.

Perhaps someone else was online?

p.s. darklord I will mail you the requested file soon...

Not yet - haven't tried in a day or 2 - I'll try again, and thanks! :)

#71 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,214 posts

Posted Fri May 25, 2012 10:16 AM

Stephen, did you ever hook your UDS10 up to your 8bit and see what it does there when you
connect to DarkForce?

I'd just be curious as what it does...reason being, I'm fairly sure that Doc Clu has been using
one of the Lantronix devices to call us with his 8bit (although I'm not sure which Lantrononix
he's using), and I can't remember him ever mentioning a "j'" problem.

Thanks!

#72 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,214 posts

Posted Fri May 25, 2012 10:26 AM

That guy has something like -32- MS100's for sale. I went ahead and bought one too.

It's $34.99 *shipped* from Ohio.

As soon as I get it in, I'll try it in place of the UDS10 and see if there is a difference.

#73 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,556 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Fri May 25, 2012 10:49 AM

Stephen, did you ever hook your UDS10 up to your 8bit and see what it does there when you
connect to DarkForce?

I'd just be curious as what it does...reason being, I'm fairly sure that Doc Clu has been using
one of the Lantronix devices to call us with his 8bit (although I'm not sure which Lantrononix
he's using), and I can't remember him ever mentioning a "j'" problem.

Thanks!

I will try this, but I'll have to string a long ass network cable across the room. I should have some time this weekend to play on the Ataris.

#74 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,214 posts

Posted Fri May 25, 2012 6:53 PM

I will try this, but I'll have to string a long ass network cable across the room. I should have some time this weekend to play on the Ataris.

Okay, no rush. I once ran about 70 foot of coax cable, from my cable-modem across the floor and out the back door to the pole, just to prove to a service tech that the bad connection wasn't in my home wiring setup. I shoulda bet the guy first. :)

#75 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,214 posts

Posted Sat May 26, 2012 12:13 AM

Okay, I finally got through to Marius's BBS. Don't know what the holdup was before.

Anyway, using my Atari STacy and the UDS10, I got through and had no problems
whatsoever. No funny characters at all and everything worked as expected.

I got another answer back from the tech at Lantronix as well. I had described to
him some of the things we had tried and were seeing. Here is his latest response:

(this response was given before I was able to logon successfully to Marius's BBS, btw)

-----------------------
Have you looked at the configuration of the UDS1100 that called in and did not have issues?

Another thing we may want to try would be to back up to the basics. Factory flush the serial settings and do a simple socket connection by changing one of the units to connect mode C5 and configure a remote IP address and port of the other unit. Then use hyperterminal sessions to pass data back and forth.

It looks like the J and M are printed representations of ctrl-j and ctrl-m of line feed and carriage return, respectively.

Note that a tunnel between UDS's should generally be RAW TCP. We changed the setting to this, but that means that when a telnet client connects (like HyperTerminal) it becomes a telnet to RAW connection. This causes issues in the way ctrl-j and ctrl-m are handled. PuTTY supports RAW connections. You may want to try a PuTTY RAW connection to the UDS1100.

Ultimately, if there is some quirky modem mode compatibility issue between the older UDS-10 and the UDS1100, it may be that both sides need to be UDS1100's. Based on the information, it looks like the issue might be on the UDS-10 side.
-------------------------

As soon as I get some more info/time, I'll update him and see what he says then. The guy is working really hard to try and help, I'm a bit impressed. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: j Issue

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users