Photo

Good games for a 5-year-old

25 replies to this topic

#1 Dastari Creel OFFLINE  

Dastari Creel

Star Raider

• 97 posts
  • A citizen of the universe and a gentleman to boot.

Posted Sat May 12, 2012 6:17 PM

Now that I've got the 2600 up and running I want to introduce my 5-year-old to it. I want to know what everyone thinks that are the best games for someone of that age. Feel free to throw in hacks, homebrews, and protos (as long as they're complete) if you feel that they apply. I already know that she likes Pac-Man and Frogger on other platforms so she should like them on the 2600 as well (honestly at 5 I liked the 2600 Pac-Man as well and didn't realize its failures until I got older). She also likes Freeway which she played on this stand-alone Activision controller that plugs into the TV so I think that's a winner to get on the 2600 as well.

Please give any other ideas.

#2 bennybingo ONLINE  

bennybingo

Quadrunner

• 5,803 posts
  • Wasting my life...one Shatner at a time.

Posted Sat May 12, 2012 6:29 PM

Texas Chainsaw Massacre? :-D

#3 atari2600land OFFLINE  

atari2600land

Game Gear>Game Boy

• 8,301 posts

Posted Sat May 12, 2012 6:35 PM

Grand Prix

#4 Syntaxerror999 OFFLINE  

Syntaxerror999

Dragonstomper

• 538 posts

Posted Sat May 12, 2012 6:53 PM

LOL Im in the same boat as you. First off I use a Sega Genesis controler because up and down are a little more clearer. My kid (4) likes Maze Craze, Outlaw, Combat (which is a little tough for him.) Video Olympics is another good choice, particularly the Basket Ball mode. Berzerk, Basic Math/Fun with numbers, Codebreaker, Pitfall, River Raid, Flag Capture are good choices for older kids. And you cant go wrong with Space Invaders and Ms Pac Man.

#5 sqoon OFFLINE  

sqoon

Stargunner

• 1,094 posts

Posted Sat May 12, 2012 8:17 PM

Frostbite

#6 Random Terrain ONLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 25,099 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Sat May 12, 2012 8:19 PM

For people with children 5 and under, what kind of things do you think they would want to do on the screen? From what I have seen so far, little kids wanted instant response to their joystick movements and fire button presses, but they also wanted something happening on the screen when they weren't using the joystick. They also didn't like even a second of frustration or being made to wait for anything.

If you guys post what your kids would like to do on the screen, whether it's a game or a software 'toy,' I might be able to make a program or two for kids using batari Basic.

#7 littleman jack OFFLINE  

littleman jack

Stargunner

• 1,340 posts
  • One day I will build tube amps.

Posted Sat May 12, 2012 8:35 PM

My two year old likes Pole Position a lot. He also like Moon Patrol, but prefers the explosions on the 8-bit version. And he likes Circus Atari, Off the Wall, Smurf and Congo Bongo.

So RT, if you can make a game where you drive around and around and make things explode, while monkeys or gorillas roam, that would be his favorite game. ;-)

Edited by littleman jack, Sat May 12, 2012 8:36 PM.

#8 snstay OFFLINE  

snstay

Moonsweeper

• 304 posts
  • "I know what willis is talkin about"

Posted Sat May 12, 2012 8:57 PM

my 3 year old likes princess games. but on the 2600 she also digs freeway and her and my 10 year old like to play maze craze (and so do i).

#9 cvga OFFLINE  

cvga

River Patroller

• 3,333 posts

Posted Sat May 12, 2012 10:28 PM

My little guy likes Kaboom. The action starts off slow enough that he can catch quite a few bombs. He's pretty pleased each time he completes a level.

#10 roberto OFFLINE  

roberto

Dragonstomper

• 639 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 3:35 AM

Games with a simple twitch type of mechanics should be the natural choice here.
I'd say Space Invaders and Kaboom seem like perfect fits here, possibly followed by maze chase games like Ms. Pac Man first and then Berzerk or Marauder once they mastered those.
Have fun with your kids!

#11 PitfallHarry2600 OFFLINE  

PitfallHarry2600

Chopper Commander

• 168 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 6:28 AM

Boxing, Fishing derby or Combat if you wanna play together.
Otherwise, there are some games with a special "Children mode" such as Warlords or Pac-Man.
I think she's gonna like Berzerk too. OH, AND PITFALL :D

That's all I'd recommend. But be careful when buying games. Your kid may find a copy of X-Man and he'd like to see Wolverine "in action" XD. No... just kidding.

#12 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

I'm going to try to come back and post here.

• 23,670 posts
  • Awkwardness personified

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 6:43 AM

Space invaders would be an excellent starting point.

#13 LidLikesIntellivision OFFLINE  

LidLikesIntellivision

River Patroller

• 2,970 posts
  • Intellividens

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 7:10 AM

When I had 5 or 6 years I liked to play Smurf, Jungle Hunt, Pac-man, Grand Prix. Kangaroo and Keystone Carpers were good looking,more difficult but fun to play.

Pole Position and Enduro was a bit frustrating.

I didn't like Space Invaders and Berzerk, but my younger brother liked Berzerk very much.

Edited by Liduario, Sun May 13, 2012 7:13 AM.

#14 BigO OFFLINE  

BigO

River Patroller

• 3,349 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 7:24 AM

For people with children 5 and under, what kind of things do you think they would want to do on the screen? From what I have seen so far, little kids wanted instant response to their joystick movements and fire button presses, but they also wanted something happening on the screen when they weren't using the joystick. They also didn't like even a second of frustration or being made to wait for anything.

If you guys post what your kids would like to do on the screen, whether it's a game or a software 'toy,' I might be able to make a program or two for kids using batari Basic.

Based on other comments in this thread, I'm wondering if a "beginner" version of space invaders with fewer, larger invaders (read:easier to hit) might be of interest to the wee ones. Maybe when an invader is hit, there could be more visual indications on the screen like the background flashing different colors, more noises, etc.

#15 Random Terrain ONLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 25,099 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 6:24 PM

My two year old likes Pole Position a lot. He also like Moon Patrol, but prefers the explosions on the 8-bit version. And he likes Circus Atari, Off the Wall, Smurf and Congo Bongo.

So RT, if you can make a game where you drive around and around and make things explode, while monkeys or gorillas roam, that would be his favorite game. ;-)

Thanks for the ideas.

Based on other comments in this thread, I'm wondering if a "beginner" version of space invaders with fewer, larger invaders (read:easier to hit) might be of interest to the wee ones. Maybe when an invader is hit, there could be more visual indications on the screen like the background flashing different colors, more noises, etc.

Good idea. I'd never make the screen flash, though. I don't have epilepsy, but flashing screens hurt my eyes and I don't think it's good for people in general, even if they think it doesn't do any harm. Some programmers might think it's fun to try to give some players epileptic seizures, but I'd like to avoid that if I can.

#16 Animan OFFLINE  

Animan

River Patroller

• 2,391 posts
  • Just some guy who plays Atari and watches Anime.

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 6:32 PM

Frogs and Flies! Such a laid back game with simple controls. I've yet to meet a soul who doesn't like this game.

#17 cvga OFFLINE  

cvga

River Patroller

• 3,333 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 8:44 PM

Shark Shark for Intellivision is also fun for younger kids. Isn't Go Fish the Atari version?

#18 BigO OFFLINE  

BigO

River Patroller

• 3,349 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 11:24 PM

Thanks for the ideas.

Good idea. I'd never make the screen flash, though. I don't have epilepsy, but flashing screens hurt my eyes and I don't think it's good for people in general, even if they think it doesn't do any harm. Some programmers might think it's fun to try to give some players epileptic seizures, but I'd like to avoid that if I can.

Seriously, changing the background color two or three times in a second or two can induce an epileptic seizure?
Oh, wait, I see. You consulted an attorney before posting didn't you...

Okay, so you won't be flashing the children; probably a wise decision. Maybe if the game play is slower and fewer sprites are being drawn there'd be time to do a more elaborate "death scene" for each destroyed invader.

#19 Anthony John Morley OFFLINE  

Anthony John Morley

Space Invader

• 29 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 5:23 AM

My cousin used to play Smurf all the time as a little girl. I would suggest Smurf, Frostbite, Keystone Kapers

#20 Master Phruby ONLINE  

Master Phruby

River Patroller

• 3,152 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 8:31 AM

My five year old has a mild case of CP so it makes it hard for him to play games with both hands. He likes games where he just moves the joystick with autofire running. Freeway, Pac-man, ms Pacman, Adventure and Space Invaders are some of his favorites. When he plays Mame, he uses my tank stick. Gauntlet, TMNT, Rampage and any shooter are his favorites. He is actually really good at E.T. He beats the game in less than five minutes most of the time.

Edited by Master Phruby, Mon May 14, 2012 8:33 AM.

#21 Master Phruby ONLINE  

Master Phruby

River Patroller

• 3,152 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 8:36 AM

It's funny how a five year old raised on playing the 2600 can easily beat his 12 year old brother that is an expert on MW3 when playing Space Invaders or Freeway.

#22 Lucky Man OFFLINE  

Lucky Man

Dragonstomper

• 738 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 10:51 AM

These were my daughter's favorite 2600 games when she was about that age:

Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel’s Castle
Strawberry Shortcake: Musical Match-Ups
Grover’s Music Maker
Big Bird’s Egg Catch
Cookie Monster Munch
Oscar’s Trash Race
Alpha Beam with Ernie
A Game of Concentration
Pressure Cooker
Frogger
Ms. Pac-Man
Pigs in Space
Frogs and Flies
Lady Bug
Taz
Bowling
Holey Moley

#23 Dauber ONLINE  

Dauber

River Patroller

• 4,192 posts
  • Meat is the new bread.

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 3:26 PM

** trying hard not to suggest "Beat 'Em And Eat 'Em"...trying hard not to suggest "Beat 'Em And Eat 'Em"...trying hard not to suggest "Beat 'Em And Eat 'Em"...trying hard not to suggest "Beat 'Em And Eat 'Em"... **

#24 theloon OFFLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• 8,049 posts

Posted Tue May 15, 2012 8:06 AM

I had no problem with Atari Adventure at that age. See, most of us should have a crate of commons by now. Give them the bin and let them pick which games to play.

Having to put back 103 carts will also teach them why emulators rock.

Edited by theloon, Tue May 15, 2012 8:08 AM.

#25 J. McDermott OFFLINE  

J. McDermott

Space Invader

• 11 posts

Posted Sun May 20, 2012 9:55 PM

I babysat a 4 year old that loved the Fall Down homebrew. To my surprise, he managed to beat both his older brother and myself at it so it gets my recommendation!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users