How many mods can fit in a 600XL?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Xyla OFFLINE  

Xyla

Combat Commando

• 8 posts

Posted Sat May 12, 2012 8:33 PM

Hi,

I'm think I'm going to buy an XL, but I can't make up my mind.

Long ago I had a 600XL, so I'm thinking of getting that and upgrading it, but I don't know if everything will fit. I would want at least 64k, composite/s-video, internal MyIDE, and dual pokeys. Is this even possible?... or will I need the internal space of an 800XL?

I was also wondering about the 600XL video mod... are the mods available just as good as what is available for the 800XL?

Thanks for any advice!

#2 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 7,432 posts

Posted Sat May 12, 2012 8:51 PM

The mods you mentioned should all fit in a 600XL, I think the internal MyIDE is reasonably small, IIRC, though if the actual hard drive is going inside too, that could be a problem, of course you'd have to use a mini drive like those in laptops. If all you need is 64K, then just buying the 1064 module for the PBI buss is the way to go, so the ram upgrade isn't adding to the internal clutter. Though there are ram upgrades far beyond 64K that also attach to the PBI. And I think some of the internal ones can easily fit in the 600XL. the dual pokey will definatey fit if you use the piggyback method, otherwise dual pokey boards vary in size.]
But if you ever intend to install more upgrades than what you mentioned it's going to get very tight in the little 600XL, and some upgrades, depending on who made them, don't always take other upgrades into account and they could get in the way of each other, though this can happen even on the bigger XL's and XE's. For example I have a 1200XL and I have a dual pokey board and APE Warp+ 32-in-1 OS and those boards won't fit in the sockets next to each other; I had to attach one of them with wiring so I could place it in another part of the 1200XL. In any case, if you get the upgrade bug, an 800XL may be the way to go, and a 1200XL is even better as far as space goes, though it may need a few additional upgrades beyond the 600/800XL,like newer OS for example.

#3 rchennau OFFLINE  

rchennau

Chopper Commander

• 198 posts

Posted Sat May 12, 2012 8:59 PM

Ask Sloopy. ;)

#4 mimo OFFLINE  

mimo

Preppie!

• 6,777 posts
  • It's easy living in a bubble

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 12:27 AM

Mine has:
Internal 64k
Ultimate 1meg RAM upgrade (1 meg RAM, spartados x, real time clock, multiple OS)
Stereo pokey
Covox
Internal sio2pc
Ps2 keyboard adaptor
Vbxe2

:)

Thanks Candle

Edited by mimo, Sun May 13, 2012 12:28 AM.

#5 Xyla OFFLINE  

Xyla

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 12:32 AM

Thank you for the reply Gunstar. I bought the 600XL.

I don't think I'll want to upgrade it beyond the mods I mentioned, but if I ever change my mind... I guess it can't hurt to have more Ataris. :)

Edited by Xyla, Sun May 13, 2012 12:35 AM.

#6 Xyla OFFLINE  

Xyla

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 12:35 AM

Wow, that's a lot of stuff. I guess I really have nothing to worry about. :)

Mine has:
Internal 64k
Ultimate 1meg RAM upgrade (1 meg RAM, spartados x, real time clock, multiple OS)
Stereo pokey
Covox
Internal sio2pc
Ps2 keyboard adaptor
Vbxe2

Thanks Candle

#7 sloopy OFFLINE  

sloopy

River Patroller

• 2,395 posts
  • lookin for bits, i like bits...

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 6:54 AM

There is plenty of room inside for those three mods...

the 64k mod is just two IC's and 3 wires.
the S-Vid is just, at most, removing the RF switch and adding components to spots already on the board and cutting a hole for the A/V jack.
or the more simpler method, disconnecting (or removing) the RF modulator, and adding a few components and AV jack...
dual pokey is the one that adds the most 'mass', getting a simple stereo board and adding it is easy, and there is plenty of room for it...

sloopy

#8 KubaCZ OFFLINE  

KubaCZ

Chopper Commander

• 113 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 11:22 AM

the S-Vid is just, at most, removing the RF switch and adding components to spots already on the board and cutting a hole for the A/V jack.
or the more simpler method, disconnecting (or removing) the RF modulator, and adding a few components and AV jack...
dual pokey is the one that adds the most 'mass', getting a simple stereo board and adding it is easy, and there is plenty of room for it...

sloopy

Or you can stack 2nd pokey on first one, but I'm not sure if it would fit in 600XL, as I don't have any (yet ;)).

#9 w1k OFFLINE  

w1k

Stargunner

• 1,391 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 11:35 AM

i dont know what skilled are you, but first:

buy classic XC12 or XCL12, disk drive 1050 or XF551.. learn how it works, how copy from floppy to cassette and back.. how convert formats - turbo, super turbo, 600 baud.. and then buy other MODS..

Edited by w1k, Sun May 13, 2012 11:35 AM.

#10 sloopy OFFLINE  

sloopy

River Patroller

• 2,395 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 12:10 PM

sloopy

Or you can stack 2nd pokey on first one, but I'm not sure if it would fit in 600XL, as I don't have any (yet ;)).

I am not feelin the love for stacking them... especially considering small Gumby PCB's are pretty cheap...

w1k: no, 64k first, and if its NTSC, then AV mod...

sloopy.

#11 Mathy OFFLINE  

Mathy

Stargunner

• 1,741 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 12:16 PM

Hello Gunstar

... the internal MyIDE is reasonably small, IIRC, though if the actual hard drive is going inside too, that could be a problem, of course you'd have to use a mini drive like those in laptops.

Or you put in an IDE2CF adaptor and use a CF card instead of a real hard drive. Might be a bit smaller (and less weight). You could also make the CF card stick out, that might save even a bit more space inside the computer. Maybe you can even use SD cards (plus adaptor).

Mathy

#12 KubaCZ OFFLINE  

KubaCZ

Chopper Commander

• 113 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 2:17 PM

sloopy

I am not feelin the love for stacking them... especially considering small Gumby PCB's are pretty cheap...

sloopy.

Well for me it is the same thing as making holes in case. Also I'm lazy to etch such board and I don't want to buy something that can be done easier - I'm using sockets so second pokey can be reused without any problems ;)

#13 Xyla OFFLINE  

Xyla

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 3:18 PM

Or you put in an IDE2CF adaptor and use a CF card instead of a real hard drive. Might be a bit smaller (and less weight). You could also make the CF card stick out, that might save even a bit more space inside the computer. Maybe you can even use SD cards (plus adaptor).

I was hoping to use an IDE flash module, like this: http://www.amazon.co...L/dp/B00138RL28

That is the order I was planning. 64k, then A/V. After that it will be MyIDE, and finally dual pokey. I'm putting dual pokey last because its the one I care about the least... I may not get around to it for a while.

The question I have now is... what is the best video mod for the 600XL?

I have plenty of electronics soldering/repair experience, though this will be my first A8 I am modifying.

#14 sloopy OFFLINE  

sloopy

River Patroller

• 2,395 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2012 6:07 PM

I was hoping to use an IDE flash module, like this: http://www.amazon.co...L/dp/B00138RL28

That is the order I was planning. 64k, then A/V. After that it will be MyIDE, and finally dual pokey. I'm putting dual pokey last because its the one I care about the least... I may not get around to it for a while.

The question I have now is... what is the best video mod for the 600XL?

I have plenty of electronics soldering/repair experience, though this will be my first A8 I am modifying.

If you will never use RF again, i would suggest the simple AV mod... disconnecting the RF Mod is part of it (you can keep it connected and still work, but composite is a little muddy)

it is 4-5 components and a AV jack...

if you will be possibly using RF in the future, then get the Jeff Popp mod, as it just fills in the components that are missing for the original factory AV signals...
sloopy.

#15 Frankie OFFLINE  

Frankie

Moonsweeper

• 312 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:04 PM

Mine has:
Internal 64k
Stereo pokey
Covox
Internal sio2pc
Ps2 keyboard adaptor
Vbxe2

Thanks Candle

I know this is a really old post, but if you ever want to sell that 600XL, let me know!

Frank

#16 mimo OFFLINE  

mimo

Preppie!

• 6,777 posts
  • It's easy living in a bubble

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:23 PM

it would take a rather large offer

#17 kogden OFFLINE  

kogden

Moonsweeper

• 302 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:56 PM

I have 2 modded XL's....

600XL:
RAM 320XL external 320K RAM expansion (no internal 64K upgrade needed).
Low_budget 2.1 S-Video board

800XL:
Internal MegaHz 512K switchable RAM upgrade and 64K base RAM upgrade
Low_budget 2.0 S-Video board (replaced KJMann upgrade)
PAL ANTIC

If you're willing to put up with vertical lines on many modern screens and some dark bands from RAM refresh, then the KJmann s-video is sufficient. I'm a little pickier than most. It'll get you S-Video but it won't eliminate noise and flaws in original design. With low_budget's upgrade board I can be less picky about monitors and get clean-looking video. Connects directly to GTIA and replaces video circuit. It's not exactly easy to install in a 600XL though.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users