IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 5 Round 8 Vanguard

zylon

I think you only get 1000 points for that stupid Gond.

Lookie what I found - my own review of the game (circa 2002 or so). http://cafeman.www9....00vanguard.html

Nice link :thumbsup:

I forgot you could dock with the snakes:

The Bleak zone scrolls vertically and has little "C"-shaped snakes, and then arrows. The snakes can be docked-with 3 times for points; the arrows leave explosions when destroyed, and these can also destroy your ship. After all this comes the Final Zone with the boss -- the Gond, a fat bug. You must avoid force-fields and shots and try to hit the Gond to get to the next level.

I would have made it to the gold shovels at least, but I lost my last life diving

for an energy pack, I hit the wall... :P

The competition just heated up!

It seems you can't move diagonally in this game, only in 4 directions. So its easy to press down diagonal and not move down, to dock with the Energy pack (or, get out of the way of shots).

Another one to watch is the energy pack blocks your shots so you can crash into ship as you go for it! Had at least 20 goes today, along with Vanguard, Super Cobra in the 8-bit HSC means I have 3 joysticks needing servicing!!! The arrow things after the snakes get a bit fiesty on the 2nd round; improved to 69,600 :)

post-19705-0-86285800-1337380869.jpg

I sent a missile right down the gullet of that "fat bug" boss! He(the Gond) is worth up to 8,000 points depending on your timing.

I made it half way through the 2nd tunnel:

post-21471-0-10012000-1337401297_thumb.jpg

The Gond eats a missile:

post-21471-0-29422400-1337401254_thumb.jpg

Really enjoying Vanguard, after lots of goes I'm developing a few survival and point maximising tactics! My dodgy copy is sometimes glitching on the firing on the end stage and crashing (which it did on my best go :mad: ) will dig out another copy. That 2nd round end bit is tough but got to the 3rd round for the 1st time :)

69,970 74,150 76,480 :)

post-19705-0-22897100-1337430786.jpg

p.s. by coincidence were playing Super Cobra over in the 8-bit HSC so you guys are welcome to post a 5200 score ;)

136,750 - Final score ?? Took out the 109,190 record.

Auto-fire really saves the wear and tear on the thumb,

Oooh, I left the door open by not getting past the shooting arrows twice... almost made it!

I reigned for 3 hours... looks like it's going to be a Vanguard playing week :)

I almost cleared the second tunnel! I haven't figured out how to get past those doggone golden "shovels" which fire at you backwards :?, ..but I will ;-)

post-21471-0-68602800-1337628270_thumb.jpg

Fatty ate another one (for a nice 5000 pt bonus!)

post-21471-0-95166900-1337628295_thumb.jpg

I haven't figured out how to get past those doggone golden "shovels" which fire at you backwards :?, ..but I will ;-)

My strategy has always been to stay on the right side as much as possible (they shoot right-to-left only), then when you see that a Golden Shovel will be passing you on the right soon, move upwards at the right moment - the shot will pass under you. You need to practice the timing, and you'll still die sometimes. :)

Edited by Cafeman

I haven't figured out how to get past those doggone golden "shovels" which fire at you backwards :?, ..but I will ;-)

My strategy has always been to stay on the right side as much as possible (they shoot right-to-left only), then when you see that a Golden Shovel will be passing you on the right soon, move upwards at the right moment - the shot will pass under you. You need to practice the timing, and you'll still die sometimes. :)

That seems better(and smarter) than my method of killing everything and trying to dodge the shrapnel...nope it's near impossible :P

That seems better(and smarter) than my method of killing everything and trying to dodge the shrapnel...nope it's near impossible :P

Wish I'd read this before I spent ages working this out, yes only 2nd wave on r2 shoots at you and only RtoL! Managed to beat my score a couple of times just managed a 120,530 there's more to come once I get it together ;) Vanguard is rapidly becoming one of my favourite shooters, fantastic feeling when the game is scrolling fast and you're adrenaline is pumping as you go for a decent score, there's tons of varied gameplay, great graphics and sound. I'm finding using intermittent firing with the rapid fire game option a good tactic. Who's going over and who's going under on the Zone with the lines (100 goes and I still don't remember the name :D ) I'm an underer ;)

post-19705-0-57105700-1337641541.jpg

On the 5200 can you (ever) change First Zone on the menu screen? No pause or way of restarting on the A8 copy :-o

On the 5200 can you (ever) change First Zone on the menu screen? No pause or way of restarting on the A8 copy :-o

Yes. Pressing #7 changes the tunnel. Pressing #9 changes which zone in that tunnel.

Looks like the a8 port is missing these features - does the orange bar do anything (just seems to fill up as you hit stuff?). I'll raise a post on the main A8 forum and see if anyone will fix this!

158,480 Joysticks and nerves equally shattered :-o

post-19705-0-10065600-1337710715.jpg

My new found love for Vanguard continues; got to the 5th round - each round has differences in the gameplay - e.g. static baddies causing you to duck into the scenery area and then let go of fire to manoeuvre back to safety :)

:( 3060

Try using the fire button :rolling:

That was with auto-fire and button held on.

You're using the game's REPEAT fire right?

HINTS:

Try using a combination of repeat fire with single firing in bursts that gives you some manoeuvrability. Make use of the height available to you, careful not to double back to soon. Release fire button when they fire to take evasive action. Rainbow modes are identical (well up to level 5 anyway) so master a safe technique and your set for the game ;)

Hey what happened to my other bonus point?!

p.s. just scored 161,540 :)

Edited by therealbountybob