IGNORED

Play Expo (a.k.a. Replay Expo) - Manchester 2012

snicklin

This event is the follow up to last years Replay Expo which was at the Norbreck Castle hotel in Blackpool.

This year it has moved (quite controversially) to Manchester at 'Event City' and will be on the 13th and 14th of October.

Ticket prices are £22 for an adult for the weekend (up £2 from last year).

Link here for tickets:

https://www.ticketline.co.uk/order/tickets/13270650/play-expo-2012-weekend-event-city-2012-10-13-11-00-00

Talking about last years event which I attended, there were around 5000 people there. There was a large room with a lot of arcade machines, 8 bit computers, some newer systems and some business sellers there. There was also a big pinball event at the same time with a lot of pinball machines (maybe 50??).

For any beer lovers, they sold beer and other drinks and food too. There were talks from 8 bit legends of the 80s as well as other people. All in all, a good event.

Is anyone interested? If numbers are good, maybe we all could all meet up and go for drinks afterwards on the Saturday?

Here's more info:

http://www.videogamer.com/news/play_expo_2012_to_take_place_this_october_at_manchesters_eventcity.html

Too far and costly for me sadly, I'd love to have meet some of you guys just to shake your hand for all the help I've been given and of course I'd have got the beers in :)

TMR on the other hand may feel you lot have had a lucky escape as I'm not fit to meet the world :)

Have a brilliant time peeps...

@Spookt - Yes, we could maybe roll a meet-up into this event. It would be great to see a few others, sometimes I feel that being an Atari fan (even back in the day) was like being on an island by myself.

@Groovybee - Excellent! You were there last year weren't you? Unfortunately I didn't meet you.

@TMR - Super. Maybe another peek at Callisto?

@Mclaneinc - Unfortunate - it'd have been lovely to have everyone together. Maybe in the future with a bit of luck?? Would you like us to record some videos for you, so you can get a feel of the place?

Edited by snicklin
  • Like 1

For folks North of Manchester I could probably pick up.

(Unless North means Northern Highlands)

Perhaps we could raise a travelling fund for folks who can't afford the travel? I'd really love to meet as many other Atari guys as possible.

Edited by spookt
  • Like 2

If I get a job between now and then I'll definitely be going. I've wanted to attend an expo for years now but never managed to have the time and the money! It would be nice to make it to an event before the end of the world strikes... :)

Unfortunately we won't be able to pick anyone up as the wife and child are coming (but they're off shopping) and then up to 3 colleagues are interested in attending (Nintendo/PC fans) and so I guess that 1 will end up in the car with us.

@GroovyBee - I remember that they were selling name badges at the event, though I didn't buy one. It's also a little hard at staring at everyone's chest - especially with there being thousands of people there. (no comments on Lara Croft @cosPlay please!!)

I suggest maybe all meeting up at a pre-defined location. Although I don't know the place, maybe by the entrance of the main hall (just inside the main hall) at 12 noon? That'll give us an hour to look around before meeting up. Don't get too drunk in advance!! Last time I was out of my head by the end of the day, and then won the after-part gaming quiz (with some way more knowledgeable people than me on the team).... and guess what the prize was...? More beer. Sunday was just a daze.

Can I confirm if people are looking to stay the night? I shall be doing so. Locals can just rejoin the next day.

@Mclaneinc - Unfortunate - it'd have been lovely to have everyone together. Maybe in the future with a bit of luck?? Would you like us to record some videos for you, so you can get a feel of the place?

Sorry for the late reply Snicks, yeah, that would be a great idea if possible, not been to a get together or event like that in many many years, the last thing I went to was the ECTS trade show at Docklands and that was a LONNNGGG time back :)

If its no trouble it would be great..

Paul.

Well if you change your mind Mclaneinc there's a spare seat in my car since you're only a few miles away from the start line, although it'll be more like a real life version of GACCRR, or however you abbreviate it ;)

Lol....Without the frequent crashes and petrol loss...

I thank you for the very kind offer Andy but I have a feeling I'm likely to be in hospital at some point this year as my right knee feels like its starting to 'blow', the end result is me laid up after the op and its damn painful as I know from the last one.

I seriously hope you guys have a brill time there and pics and video as per Snicks offer would be spot on therapy :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

I'm only in Warrington, so this could be pretty cool. I imagine it will get a delegation from the RG forums and probably WOS too. I am a beer lightweight however, so I imagine my skills in espousing coherent opinions on anything will suffer greatly after an hour in the bar :)

Although there does seem to be a bit of a concentration of Atari people in the north west, the only person on here I've actually met was Mike (mimo) and he's nowhere near the north west :) Lovely fella though ;)

Edited by NuY

@MclaneInc : I'm terrible for remembering details, so please remind me beforehand.

Also, can others please bring your own camera, so if I forget, we still have some videos for others to see?

I'd like to request that vids are taken early on on the Saturday as we may be too drunk later on!!! I'm assuming it has a bar there, there were 2 when it was in Blackpool. Has anyone here been to EventCity before?

@NuY, I used to be a heavyweight on the beer, but not nowadays, I'll be drunk on 3 to 4 pints, don't worry, we'll just witter rubbish to one another!! (harmless rubbish of course!)

I suggest maybe all meeting up at a pre-defined location.

Fingers crossed, i'm going to be a pre-defined location and if all goes to plan one that isn't too noisy as well. =-)

mmmm, smells good....is that anywhere near where 'atari world' (aka Red Rat) used to be

Why is it that all these retro events seem to take place up north....there are Atari users south of the watford gap you know (like Mclaneinc and myself)

Perhaps they should ressurect the old AMS show format (I enjoyed the regular trips up to stafford, not as far north as mancs is though)

If you see a decent modded 1050 going ...pref SA2 or Lazer/USD (save me one)

Edited by carmel_andrews

If memory serves me right, Red Rat were also in Manchester. I'm not knowledgeable of Manchester, so if it is in nearby streets, I do not know.

I used to go to the AMS show too. I was on one of Dean Garraghty's videos, releasing my football game.

Why don't you just hop on a train? London Midland could take you to Crewe from London, then Crewe to Manchester I guess.

Last year there wasn't much Atari stuff there, so I doubt a decent modded 1050 will be there, but our eyes could be kept open.

And to answer, "Why up North?", ... cheaper. As a Midlander, it's better for me up north so that I don't have to pay London hotel rates. Though Manchester might be a bit pricey compared to Blackpool. I got my hotel room for £27 last time, I doubt I will again.