IGNORED

D2K Arcade Budget Release - Order Now!

Placed my order and anxiously awaiting to receive & play the game. Enjoyed the hell out of DKA and have no doubt that D2K will be even better.

It's great to hear that you are considering more conversions, Carl, but Joust?? Umm.... I'm not too sure my fingers could survive the constant pressing of those notorious INTV side buttons to keep my steed in flight! :-D

Mendon

We are going to try contacting Williams soon. I also think Joust would make an excellent Intellivision game. If they're reasonable, these could be the next two projects I will be working on.

Although I would just die if I see Joust in the Intellivision (my most favorite game of all time, and one that I was actually pretty good at!), I agree with Mendon that it would be next to impossible to maintain flight by constantly pressing an action button on the Intellivision controller. In fact, any button on that controller is hard to press repeatedly, at a sustained pace.

I guess implementing something like an "auto-fire" function would help, but then... it's not Joust, is it?

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Carl,

I love the classic games and I admire when they are ported to the Intellivision in such brilliant way like DK was, but I'd say what the Intellivision really needs is more new and original games.

-dZ.

I would not be doing straight ports. I would not make an Intellivision version without something unique to offer. Basically, I would be "D2King" everything – making it more replayable, and adding new Intellivision exclusive levels.

Also anything that I might "port" would definitely take into consideration the Intellivision controller. I'm not going to waste my time porting something that isn't playable.

I would not be doing straight ports. I would not make an Intellivision version without something unique to offer. Basically, I would be "D2King" everything – making it more replayable, and adding new Intellivision exclusive levels.

Also anything that I might "port" would definitely take into consideration the Intellivision controller. I'm not going to waste my time porting something that isn't playable.

Carl,

I wasn't suggesting that you would do some lackluster work. I was sort of nudging you to expend your obviously amazing talent and skill into a wholly original game. Ports and variations of ports are good, but there is something to be said about an entirely original concept, with new characters and story.

I can imagine anything that you produce being meticulously detailed and incredibly elaborate in execution, and a brand new idea would blow everybody's mind.

Plus, you get to own the mark or franchise, and not have to rent or license its use (or hide that you didn't). :)

This suggestion says NOTHING bad about your work so far, it is fantastic and I would like to see more.

-dZ.

DZ,

No problem. I know what you mean.

If you can invent something original and successful, all the better.

However, I don't really have the freedom of experimentation that other developers likely do. It actually makes more sense for me to tackle an existing idea, and then add something original to it to make it even better.

Besides, I think a lot of people would like to say, "the Intellivision has the best version of game 'X' on any system.", to dispel the unpleasant stigma of the Intellivision being an inferior system for arcade ports.

Carl

Carl, How about a game with new levels, for starters, how about a Popeye 2 or Night stalker 2. :)

Nightstalker 2 with a changing maze would be awesome!!! :love:

Carl,

If you guys can get the license, I'll be willing to do that one.

Carl, How about a game with new levels, for starters, how about a Popeye 2 or Night stalker 2. :)

Carl,

to all, I may spend few words about the intv licences.

I have contacted many companies/people during last years to propose official porting on Intellivision like Tetris, pac man, barbarian, maniac mansion, zork etc. etc.

More attempt would me made in the future for other titles as suggested by Carl.

It's not easy to get official licences for the games you are discussing... I may resume the feedbacks I have received in 3 different cases:

- no answer at all, from companies making big revenues from classic brand like Donkey Kong or Tetris... those people receive tons of collaboration offers and simple do not care of little business represented by intv. In this section I also referr to Intellivision Productions, that is simple not collaborating in any way with intellivision collectors.

- business proposal (such as received by First Star for boulderdash or Taito for Arkanoid). The proposal is always asking for a initial guarantee revenue that Elektronite/Classic Game Publishers must give in advance. Even if the negotiation lower the amount to reasonnable money, this is very much as a bottleneck for a retrogaming startup like Elektronite...

- free permission to proceed (such for Archon or Gridrunner), but this is not the case for classics like joust, pac man or any activision licenced game...

Popeye 2 and nightstalker 2 go under case 1.... so we are enthusiast about all your suggestions and we'll make best effort to contact licence owners... but everyone need to be patience and know that a little company like the ones working for intellivision get littel collaboration from game producers... :-)

Are we really free to port Archon? :-)

I would love to do Popeye. I even did some sprite graphics for it many years ago. But of course, the big "N" owns that, as far as I know. And they are notorious for their indifferent attitude towards "garage" developers.

If we can figure out who owns the Williams games, we will try to contact them. I have some hopes.

Now Night Stalker, I have always wanted to do as well. If the Intellivision Productions chaps could be convinced that we could make money for them, I'm sure they would be very interested in sitting back and collecting it. The problem is, I don't think they take "homebrew" seriously, nor this strange practice of replying to e-mail. ;-)

Well, as dZ says – there's always the "original" production, and I do have a few ideas.

Carl

Cant you just make a game similar to Popeye (or other games) and change the name? I think Intellivision homebrew is waaayyy under the radar, and i know you dont want it all to come to a halt with some legal stuff, but still....anyway, having said that, do what you feel comfortable with of course.

Oh, and remember "Beef Drop" homebrew on 7800? (Burgertime)

Cant you just make a game similar to Popeye (or other games) and change the name? I think Intellivision homebrew is waaayyy under the radar, and i know you dont want it all to come to a halt with some legal stuff, but still....anyway, having said that, do what you feel comfortable with of course.

So, Stalker of the Night it is! :)

There's no way Keith will respond to your requests Carl, they're too busy updating birthdays to do anything for the real Intellivision fans. I seriously think an updated version of Nightstalker would sell. Just sayin. Also, I'm a big fan of Popeye.

So, Stalker of the Night it is! :)

There's no way Keith will respond to your requests Carl, they're too busy updating birthdays to do anything for the real Intellivision fans. I seriously think an updated version of Nightstalker would sell. Just sayin. Also, I'm a big fan of Popeye.

Maybe you could bribe Keith with a bucket of chicken...just sayin'

• Like 1

Spinach Man, Sailor Dave, Bea Aurthur and her Spinach Adventure, Rev the Sailor Man. :-D

Spinach Man, Sailor Dave, Bea Aurthur and her Spinach Adventure, Rev the Sailor Man. :-D

P2A (Popeye 2 Arcade)

Carl,

DZ, would it be a fairly easy build off your MS Pac Man/Carol engine?

Carl,

Yeah, I thought about this one for a while. I always thought that it should in fact be called "Ms. Night Stalker", with the girl from Game Factory running around the maze. ;-)

I think your experience would be a good overlap, for sure! If we can just get Keith talking to us…

I'd still like to publish my plug-and-play units as well… real Intellivision emulation on NES-on-a-chip! Context-sensitive menus, SOUND (wow!), convenient, cheap… And it's already done!

Carl

Carl,

DZ, would it be a fairly easy build off your MS Pac Man/Carol engine?

Yes. It can have better sprites and more responsiveness. And we can even add the trailing spider web. Just about the only thing my game engine doesn't support directly is the mask collision detection, but I'm sure that's not an insurmountable problem. The original uses the EXEC's hardware collision detection.

-dZ.

Are we really free to port Archon? :-)

I would love to do Popeye. I even did some sprite graphics for it many years ago. But of course, the big "N" owns that, as far as I know. And they are notorious for their indifferent attitude towards "garage" developers.

If we can figure out who owns the Williams games, we will try to contact them. I have some hopes.

Carl

Williams game are owned by Midway games, a company that is unfortunately bankrupted and now all the licences are messy around...

to tell you a funny(?) story about licence messy world out there, I did contacted few years ago Ubisoft in france to ask permission for Lode Runner for intellivision... Ubisoft was very kind answering and they had no idea they were actually owning loderunner license! it took several days of research office to office to find the licence aquire doc from broderbund! Ubisoft send me thanks to let them rediscover they have the licence!!!! (and they did NOT give me free permission for intv)

Edited by vprette

• 3 weeks later...