IGNORED

Big Five - Activator Cart

MrFish

I'd guess that if it's just some sort of protection for preview copies that it's probably a small Rom size - maybe straight up 8K, or maybe some banking scheme never seen before.

At the least though, dumping it as a standard 16K cart should give a clue to what it is.

I'd guess that if it's just some sort of protection for preview copies that it's probably a small Rom size - maybe straight up 8K, or maybe some banking scheme never seen before.

At the least though, dumping it as a standard 16K cart should give a clue to what it is.

Yea, I'm not assuming it's using BBSB cart ROMs, but it's nice to have that option available in case it is.

• 3 weeks later...

What a mysterious piece of junk... It's flagged as a diagnostic cartridge, and the only action it performs before jumping to the rainbow loop (it never returns from initialisation routine) is it copies its contents $A100..$BFFF to RAM $0100..$1FFF (doing EOR $FF on each copied byte). The copied area doesn't seem to be machine code, nor does it look like meaningful data to me.

It's a diag mode cart, so no booting of any sort.

There's no sense putting stuff in memory for later use either - the OS clears from $08 to top of Ram on coldstart.

The only possible way the data could be used is if the user hotswapped another diag mode cart into the machine.

The program part of the cart is pretty small. Here's about all you need:

BFC3: 78			   SEI
BFC4: D8			   CLD
BFC5: A0 00			LDY #$00
BFC7: 98			   TYA
BFC8: 99 00 D0  LBFC8  STA HPOSP0,Y
BFCB: 99 00 D4		 STA DMACTL,Y
BFCE: 99 00 D2		 STA AUDF1,Y
BFD1: C8			   INY
BFD2: D0 F4			BNE $BFC8
BFD4: 84 80			STY $80
BFD6: 84 82			STY $82
BFD8: C8			   INY
BFD9: 84 81			STY $81
BFDB: A9 A1			LDA #$A1
BFDD: 85 83			STA $83
BFDF: A2 1F			LDX #$1F
BFE1: 88			   DEY
BFE2: B1 82	 LBFE2  LDA ($82),Y
BFE4: 49 FF			EOR #$FF
BFE6: 91 80			STA ($80),Y
BFE8: C8			   INY
BFE9: D0 F7			BNE $BFE2
BFEB: E6 81			INC $81
BFED: E6 83			INC $83
BFEF: CA			   DEX
BFF0: D0 F0			BNE $BFE2
BFF2: 8E 0A D4		 STX WSYNC
BFF5: 8E 1A D0		 STX COLBK
BFF8: E8			   INX
BFF9: 4C F2 BF		 JMP $BFF2
BFFC:  .BYTE $00,$FF
BFFE:  .WORD $BFC3

Well, that would make some sense, except that there's no way to use it as such. You can't boot a disk with this cartridge, and the data copied to RAM doesn't make much sense. It's possible that the data copied to RAM needs to go through further deobfuscation before it makes any sense, but you're still left with the fact that the cartridge doesn't allow a boot, and doesn't pass control over.

Most likely, it's some sort of test cart... (???)

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

So its actually got no use at all?

It can't be in because nothing can boot....

I hate to use the fake word but it does seem to be no use?

If true its a shame for MrFish, looked like a really interesting item.

Hope its not...

The more I look at it, the more I think there's supposed to be some sort of custom HW or OS to go with this. Obviously a stock machine can't do anything with it, so I bet something is supposed to trigger an NMI and get us out of the loop or the user is supposed to throw a switch after the rainbow appears. Then, a custom OS ROM could check for the data or this could be a method for loading an SRAM block in a piece of debugging hardware. Also, does this data disassemble to any other type of CPU?

Maybe I'll analyze the data block to see what bytes are most common.

EDIT: Looks like 32 and 5E are the most popular.

Also, I think there's an attempt here to obfuscate the contents of the cart. The bit inversion is part of it, but there may be another layer once the data is accessed.

EDIT: Forget what I said about NMI's. Any interrupt would corrupt the data at $01xx so it would have to be a reset which triggered use of the data (meaning a custom OS). I also wonder if this cartridge has other banks and what we're seeing isn't the whole story...

Mr Fish, what happens if you put the cartridge in an XL/XE and press RESET after the rainbow appears? Does it just appear again? (this is a test to see if the cartridge possibly undergoes a bank change after the copy, though none seems to be done explicitly)

What a mysterious piece of junk... It's flagged as a diagnostic cartridge, and the only action it performs before jumping to the rainbow loop (it never returns from initialisation routine) is it copies its contents $A100..$BFFF to RAM $0100..$1FFF (doing EOR $FF on each copied byte). The copied area doesn't seem to be machine code, nor does it look like meaningful data to me.

"piece of junk"? It seems pretty useless on it's own at the moment. I was hoping it had a copy of BBSB on it when I got it. I won't be throwing it in the trash just yet though. ;)

Could it have been an 800 right hand cart that needed to be in with a left cart?

No. The vector @ $BFFE is the giveaway, right cart can only live at $8000-$9FFF.

Also the cart explicitly says "Atari 800 XL" on the label.

So its actually got no use at all?

It can't be in because nothing can boot....

I hate to use the fake word but it does seem to be no use?

If true its a shame for MrFish, looked like a really interesting item.

Hope its not...

I don't see much of a motive or possibility for it to be faked, although I suppose there's no way of knowing for sure. The cart and label are in very good condition, but so were all the other carts and labels in the lot. They were obviously well cared for.

I was hoping someone else out there had a similar item. Maybe having a look inside the cart will reveal additional information.

The guy sold me hundreds of dollars worth of carts in the lot for a mere $125, which inlcuded one real BBSB. He knew less than nothing about Ataris -- all the stuff had belonged to his grandfather. I didn't sense anything suspicious about his story or his demeanor.

Can you see inside it at all? Perhaps it has some sort of NV memory that's become corrupted. Maybe it's meant to be used with some additional piece of debugging hardware.

I can't see inside much. The cart would have to be disassembled. I'd hate to ruin the label, especially since it's in such good shape. Curiosity may get the better of me though...

Mr Fish, what happens if you put the cartridge in an XL/XE and press RESET after the rainbow appears? Does it just appear again? (this is a test to see if the cartridge possibly undergoes a bank change after the copy, though none seems to be done explicitly)

Same thing as what happens in emulation with the dump.