IGNORED

Best 8-bit Paddle Games?

I just got my Atarimax Maxflash USB Programmer and am having a good time playing some new games. I'm largely unfamiliar with the 8-bit catalog, except for the major releases.

I know about the ports of Kaboom! and Super Breakout, and Chicken is pretty fun, too. What are your favorite paddle games for 8-bit?

• Like 1

I just got my Atarimax Maxflash USB Programmer and am having a good time playing some new games. I'm largely unfamiliar with the 8-bit catalog, except for the major releases.

I know about the ports of Kaboom! and Super Breakout, and Chicken is pretty fun, too. What are your favorite paddle games for 8-bit?

We played some interesting paddle games in HSC last season. Juggler was unique. I wouldn't call it a favorite. Wavy Navy has been one of my favorites, one I had forgotten about for many years.

Arkanoid (both 1 and 2) are pretty good ports, though probably too easy (on default settings)

We played a bunch of paddles games in last season's Up the Creek round in the High Score Club (there are a couple of ATRs to download here too). I'd like to do another paddles round later this season if there's enough interest :) Castle Crisis probably is the most fun especially 4 player, and the new PAD game (still in development? [v1. 8] is pretty darn good. Prison Ball is really good for head to head play. Others worth an honorable mention are Super Breakout, Wavy Navy (full ATR version), Live Wire I/II, Space Eggs, Arkanoid, Clowns & Balloons, Chicken (one with the digitised cluck at the start!), Kaboom! Wild West, Spy's Demise, Super Ball IV, Chiseler...

Here's my list of all the games supporting paddles:

Anleit (Bridman) demo

Arkanoid

Arkanoid II

Arkanoid III

Asteraxis 2k

Block Buster

Breakwall

Burgers

Bust Out

Cascade

Castle Crisis

Chess 7.0

Chicken

Chiseler

Clowns and Balloons

David's Midnight Magic (Pinball)

Diamond Drop

Downhill

Dragonriders of Pern

Flickin' Footballs (2 player head to head)

Frogs and Flies

Horse 2.0

Juggler

Junkyard Racing

Kaboom!

Laser Gate (BASIC)

Live Wire

Live Wire II

Lunar Lander

Lunar Landing

Midnight Strip

M.U.L.E.

Night Driver

Nine Ball

One on One (BASIC)

Pad 1.8

Padland

Paratroop

Perfected Pong

Platter Mania

Pong (Analog)

Pong (Antic)

Pong (Other)

Pool 1.5 [T]

Popcorn

Prison Ball (head to head play)

Safe Cracker

Space Arena

Space Bombs

Space Eggs

Spy's Demise

StarShot

Super Ball

Super Ball II

Super Ball III

Super Ball IV

Super Breakout

Super Clown

Super-Ski

Tilter

Warlord

Wavy Navy

Wavy Navy (Full ver)

Wildwest

Worms?

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 4

• 2 years later...

Incidentally I just picked up a set of paddles. Totally hooked to Kaboom! now :)

Thanks for that list of paddle games, just what I was looking for ! :)

I hope the home-brew "scene " will consider making some games for "alternative" controllers like paddles, trackball in true trackball mode, light gun or even maybe the Indy 500 driving controller (which is a spinner to speak in arcade terms). Tempest Extreem should support that last controller IMHO.

These alternative controllers can add a lot of fun if used correctly. It's great that they can all be hooked up to the A8 ! :)

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

Tried Clowns and Balloons with my paddles, disastrous. The guys with the tarp, trampoline, jerk from side to side. Most of the time I missed the jumping clown. My paddles are old and jittery. I cleaned them and they work fine with Super Breakout and Kaboom! Don't know how I played Kaboom! without paddles before, but this is better. I guess I will have to break down and buy some of Best Electronics new Potentiometers. $6.5 just for one pot is really expensive.

Pretty sure you can get cheaper replacements elsewhere, I don't think the pots are really that special.

Are you telling me Kaboom can be played with Joystick too ? I actually never knew _that_ and it sounds like impossible to me....

I also tried Clowns and Balloons yesterday and I really like the paddles better. It is how that game is supposed to be, just like Circus Atari or the Circus arcade games.

Yes my Paddles are a bit jittery in Clowns & Balloons and Super Breakout too. However in Kaboom there is no trace of jittering. I think Kaboom! has some algorythm that filters out the jittering.

However, clean pots are the way to go :)

Cleaning them with contact spray might help for a while but if they have been used a lot the pots may actually have worn out, contact spray won't help there much.

On my arcade machines I replace pots, I want perfect controls.Nothing more irritating than failing at a game and you can blame the controls instead of yourself ;)

• Like 1

There is some discussion of jittery paddles on the HSC paddles thread; I would conclude that It seems that they somehow magically "warm up" after a few goes and significantly improve - you need to play and not just wait!. The initial jitteryness was much worse on my 130XE than my 800XL :)

• 3 years later...

We played a bunch of paddles games in last season's Up the Creek round in the High Score Club (there are a couple of ATRs to download here too). I'd like to do another paddles round later this season if there's enough interest icon_smile.gif Castle Crisis probably is the most fun especially 4 player, and the new PAD game (still in development? [v1. 8] is pretty darn good. Prison Ball is really good for head to head play. Others worth an honorable mention are Super Breakout, Wavy Navy (full ATR version), Live Wire I/II, Space Eggs, Arkanoid, Clowns & Balloons, Chicken (one with the digitised cluck at the start!), Kaboom! Wild West, Spy's Demise, Super Ball IV, Chiseler...

Here's my list of all the games supporting paddles:

Anleit (Bridman) demo

Arkanoid

Arkanoid II

Arkanoid III

Asteraxis 2k

Block Buster

Breakwall

Burgers

Bust Out

Cascade

Castle Crisis

Chess 7.0

Chicken

Chiseler

Clowns and Balloons

David's Midnight Magic (Pinball)

Diamond Drop

Downhill

Dragonriders of Pern

Flickin' Footballs (2 player head to head)

Frogs and Flies

Horse 2.0

Juggler

Junkyard Racing

Kaboom!

Laser Gate (BASIC)

Live Wire

Live Wire II

Lunar Lander

Lunar Landing

Midnight Strip

M.U.L.E.