IGNORED

Best and worst games?

2600Guru

Hey guys just tell us you're favorite and least favorite games. Tell us why, if you got time!

Best: Yars' Revenge

Because this game is very good and I can get far in it. :thumbsup:

Worst: Football

Because it's confusing and only 2 player. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

Years Revenge is definitely one of the best, but I have to disagree about Football being among the worst. Yes, the graphics are pretty laughable and it sucks that it's two player only, but the game is actually a lot of fun to play!

The best: Falldown, Bee-ball. Cave 1k...

you get it right? These came up right from my mind... you understand? Thšese the top game for the 2600.

The worst: many of them... in fact nearly all of them.. crapy.. most people cannot code.. and Atari 2600 shows that clearly...

Years Revenge is definitely one of the best, but I have to disagree about Football being among the worst. Yes, the graphics are pretty laughable and it sucks that it's two player only, but the game is actually a lot of fun to play!

Ik, I actually like Football now. I had a friend over and we played it and I whooped him. E.T is the worst now

Super Cobra? no way.. the horizontal scrolling is understandably choppy and there is absolutely no sence to put such a gme on a top list for 2600.. think before you post... thank you

Yo Maiki hope you dont fall off such a high pedestal for you might hurt your massive ego. Some people actually like to play bad games and some might actually have an opinion different from you, strange I know so lay off. Ok my vote, best games Hero, Solaris and Defender 2, worst games SSSSnake, Skeet Shoot and Great Escape ;)

Best: Moon Patrol.

It's a great side-scroller with a lot of things going on at once. Shooting enemies above you, avoiding their shots, jumping over pits/mines, shooting/jumping over rocks, watching out for the enemies whose shots will create pits in front of you. It's fun and action-packed. And it actually has background music that I like, which is rare for a 2600 game.

Worst: SwordQuest: FireWorld

Nonsensical gameplay (leave certain items in certain rooms) that opens up "clues" in a required comic book that doesn't really help. Which clue makes the game enjoyable? And the mini-games are awful. I could tolerate some of the mini-games in EarthWorld, but I can't stand the ones in FireWorld.

E.T. was the shit back in the day! I enjoyed that game for many years in the 80's. I get tired of people bagging on it. Dam kids!!! When games like E.T. and Pac Man first hit the home market they were really something else. Nowadays all I hear is negative feedback about a lot of classic 2600 titles. Back then we had little else to play at home. You kids today are spoiled and should learn to keep your criticisms to your self. Especially when you know not of what you speak.

• Like 1

As for my favs....Video Olympics, Dark Cavern, Atlantis, Kaboom!, Pitfall II, Turmoil, Cosmic Ark, Defender, Q Bert, Berzerk....well too many to name really.

As for worst...I really don't have any to list, as I guess I like just about every game I own. And I own around three hundred at this point.

That Maiki is probably just a troll account. Note the bad Engrish and random thought structure of the posts. Go Go Gadget Ignore Button!

Best - Yar's Revenge, Adventure, Pitfall!, River Raid, Berzerk, Ms. Pac-Man, Kaboom!

Worst - E.T., Pac-Man, Airlock, any Mythicon or Froggo game.

Hated E.T. as a kid, will always and forever hate it. I played the FUCK out of Pac-Man after I got it, but realized after a while how bad it was. Went back to playing Yar and left Pac-Man to the dust bunnies.

I will support ET along with many other games, the game was sort of like adventure when you understand how to play the game. I used to play it alot and still dont mind a game every now and then. The only time i found out anything bad about it was when the internet came along.

Games like code breaker(i owed it :woozy:), that sorta stuff i think are the worse games and helped cause the crash. That game was my bigest disapointment when you bring a game home thinking its going to be good but was a number game.

As for a favorite i have too many to decide what would be the best, but ones i played as a kid would be on the list besides code breaker.

E.T. was the shit back in the day! I enjoyed that game for many years in the 80's. I get tired of people bagging on it. Dam kids!!! When games like E.T. and Pac Man first hit the home market they were really something else. Nowadays all I hear is negative feedback about a lot of classic 2600 titles. Back then we had little else to play at home. You kids today are spoiled and should learn to keep your criticisms to your self. Especially when you know not of what you speak.

Relax it's a discussion with personal opinions, not an argument. :cool:

• Like 1

It's interesting to me how E.T. is so polarizing. It seems you either love it or hate it. I'm okay with it. I think I enjoy it now more than I did when it came out, as I've taken more time to understand it. RT's site has been very helpful for that. Thanks Duane!

I think it definitely gets a lot more grief than it deserves. I think HSW did a phenomenal job designing it and programming it in the amount of time he had. The concept is interesting and the spinning cube environment is clever. I think there is room for improvement in the execution and game play... ...maybe the size of the pits or the controls when E.T. falls into a pit. There's a problem with the way the hardest game is game one, and game three is the easiest. Maybe it could have been modified where neither the Agent nor the Scientist shows up until E.T. has already found a few of the phone pieces. Or maybe Eliot could have been designed to protect E.T. from the Agent better; I don't know... ...the whole thing was thrown together in six weeks! Who does that?

Anyway, once you really understand the game play and the strategy for winning, it is definitely a very playable game. Just look at a few of RT's YouTube videos where he completes a full round in just a few minutes! And it's not like he cheats; the locations of all of the game elements are randomized each game, so it's a new hunt each time you play.

I'm sounding pretty enthusiastic in my defense of the game, but the fact of the matter is that I don't play it very often, and I think I've only "won" the game 1 version (with the Agent and the Scientist) a couple of times. I do like to play it on game 3 every now and then just for the fun of finding the pieces and then getting E.T. back on his ship, but I think many people would find that boring. I just don't have the patience to become really good at evading the Agent and the Scientist and getting in and out of the pits. As I said before, RT's videos prove that it can be done, but it requires practice and skill. But hey, isn't that what gaming is all about?

Relax it's a discussion with personal opinions, not an argument. :cool:

I know hehe. I was kind of kidding anyway. Getting older has few advantages, but one of them is being able to play the role of the crotchety old codger from time to time. You know, like "Hey you kids stay off my dam lawn!" So what I said is a reflection of how I feel ( ie E.T. gets bagged on way too much ), but I was playing it up a bit just for fun.