New Star Wars game coming?

27 replies to this topic

#1 DaytonaUSA OFFLINE  

DaytonaUSA

River Patroller

• 2,976 posts
  • 3DO - Try It!

Posted Sat May 26, 2012 5:56 PM

I was watching the SW marathon on Spike just now, and they had a commercial for, and also a running ticker on the bottom for a new SW game. Apparently it will be getting introduced first on Spike TV. It's a new Star Wars franchise... which is a good and bad thing. That means, (good) it's not another Unleashed game, and (bad) and it's a new Battlefront or Xwing VS Tie Fighter.

I guess we'll see. I'd like to have a more original trilogy based game, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. SW games are either absolutely terrible or mindblowing. Rarely is there anything in the middle.

Some previous franchises I liked and disliked. What did you enjoy?:

Liked:
Rogue Squadron series
VS series on the PC
Battlefront series
SNES Super series
Jedi Knight series
Racer series
Knights of the Old Republic series
SW Arcade (the cabinet)

Disliked:
Unleashed series
Empire at War
Lego series
Rebel Assault series
Anything ever released for the DS or GBA
Jedi Power Battles
Obi Wan
SW Arcade (the 32X game)

#2 raskar42 OFFLINE  

raskar42

River Patroller

• 2,968 posts

Posted Sat May 26, 2012 6:09 PM

maybe they're finally rebooting masters of teras kasi

#3 DaytonaUSA OFFLINE  

DaytonaUSA

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,976 posts
  • 3DO - Try It!

Posted Sat May 26, 2012 6:12 PM

maybe they're finally rebooting masters of teras kasi

Remember, new franchise. And no one would want that game...

#4 raskar42 OFFLINE  

raskar42

River Patroller

• 2,968 posts

Posted Sat May 26, 2012 7:21 PM

i would

anyway i hope whatever they do it's flight sim/vehicle combat. who plays a starwars game to walk everywhere?

Edited by raskar42, Sat May 26, 2012 7:24 PM.

#5 King_Salamon OFFLINE  

King_Salamon

River Patroller

• 2,099 posts

Posted Sat May 26, 2012 7:34 PM

Wouldn't mind seeing something of a Tie Fighter vs XWing with a single player campaign. Maybe they can do a game like Privateer or something that has Star Wars as a backdrop. I love Star Wars games... I'm just hoping it's a good one. Please post any information that you can get from the Spike release.

#6 raskar42 OFFLINE  

raskar42

River Patroller

• 2,968 posts

Posted Sat May 26, 2012 7:44 PM

maybe they finally took my game idea from 3rd grade for a stealth action game

Wicket: Defendor of Endor

#7 DaytonaUSA OFFLINE  

DaytonaUSA

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,976 posts
  • 3DO - Try It!

Posted Sat May 26, 2012 8:51 PM

I love the vehicle combat games like Rogue Squadron. I don't think, on any console, that the lightsaber type games really work. You either deal with annoying motion control or bad camera controls on a controller. Also, most of the more exciting moments happen in vehicles.

Though, I will say, Battlefront was a HECK of a lot of fun. But it doesn't seem that game will be coming anytime soon, unfortunately.

And masters of teras kasi sucked horribly, I'm sorry. It had some of the worst controls for a fighter and was extremely frustrating. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I really wanted to like it, but it just was a bad game through and through.

#8 MagitekAngel OFFLINE  

MagitekAngel

River Patroller

• 2,152 posts

Posted Sat May 26, 2012 10:19 PM

There's been more Star Wars games than Mario games. Seriously, well over a hundred:
http://en.wikipedia....star_wars_games

I've gotten a kick out of a great many of them. I'll go over a few of my favorites:

Tie Fighter: I never played X-Wing, so this was where it was at for me when it came to Star Wars flight sims. Playing as the "bad guy" with then-ridonkulous 3D graphics was mind-blowing. Also, I think this game kicked the shit out of the Wing Commander games. But not StarLancer, which remains my favorite space combat sim of all time. Sorry, Lucas.

X-Wing vs. Tie Figher: I got this game and Tie Fighter at the same time. I liked Tie Fighter better, because I've always been a single player guy and XvT was really meant for multiplayer and little else. Still a very fun game anyway.

The Super Star Wars Games: I like the first one best. I can't beat any of them. They kick ass. Nuff said.

Jedi Power Battles: I have a confession: I enjoy bad games. I enjoyed this one. Sure, the graphics are bland (even for the Dreamcast port, which I played), the animations are garbage, the hit detection is... questionable, and the game reeks of ho-hum, but it's simple, dumb fun, and I played it for a long time.

Star Wars Demolition: This one, on the other hand, was beyond redemption. It sucked. You cruised around at something like 5 miles per hour in a bizarre assortment of Star Wars vehicles, and broke stuff. This game should have been awesome. It put me to sleep. Aura Sing sucks.

Racer: I played the PC build of this game back in the day, and it kicks the hell out of all the other ones. Racer is probably the only good thing that ever came out of Episode I. Bullseye Navior was my man, through and through. Did you know that racer is the best selling sci-fi racing game of all time, beating out the likes of Wipeout and F-Zero? You do now.

Lego Star Wars: I loved these games. As straight up action titles they are mediocre. But taken as a sort of sandbox exploration game crossed with a humorous guided tour through the Star Wars games, the first two Lego Star Wars games really shine. I'm a sucker for collecting crap, and these games offer a lot of crap to collect. Beach Troopers still make me laugh.

Star Wars Force Commander: It was ugly as sin and ran like crap on contemporary PCs, but I played this game to the bitter end, because it was the first RTS Star Wars game at the time. To get one thing out of the way, the Rebels suck. Not only did the game have to invent their entire ground arsenal, giving us ugly tanks, they're really just not that good compared to all the toys the Imperials get to play around with. AT-ST rush. End of game. Command points were an interesting idea. Overall I enjoyed this game. It should have been 2D. The free-roaming camera in an RTS game was an offensively stupid feature. I spent the whole game zoomed out to a bird's eye perspective, like the other hundred people who bought and played this game. The music is really goofy.

Jedi Knight: I never played the vanilla JK: I only played Mysteries of the Sith. But that game kicked so much ass I don't even know where to begin. Probably the best FPS game at the time this side of Quake.

Jedi Outcast: You know what? This one wasn't as good. The zoomed-out lightsaber camera was too floaty, the level design was bland, and the game just didn't satisfy in the same way its predecessor did. Jedi Academy is a little more fun, but the original Jedi Knight beats the hell out of both.

Rogue Squadron. I sank so many hours into the N64 original trying to get the medals. I got damn nearly all of them. The release of the Naboo Starfighter cheat code 6 months after the game came out made me shit bricks. Turning the V-Wing into a 69 Buick Electra was pretty funny, too.

Rogue Leader: I loved this game even more. Despite being a Gamecube launch title, the game looks good enough to pass for a 360 game. The ship models are sick. Rogue Squadron had slightly better controls. But only in Rogue Leader can you wreck both Death Stars, and kill a Star Destroyer or two for good measure.

The Empire Strikes Back (2600): To be honest, I don't get the appeal of this one. I found it boring. Shoot the walkers. Big deal. Just stick with Defender.

The Force Unleashed. To be honest, I kind of liked it. Like Jedi Power Battles, it's simple, dumb fun. DMM was overhyped.

Knights of the Old Republic: Best story since the Empire Strikes Back. Best hardcore RPG since Baldur's Gate II. Dragon Age feels a lot like this one.

Republic Commando: Sort of like Halo 3 ODST, but five years older. It's a pretty kickass shooter.

#9 DaytonaUSA OFFLINE  

DaytonaUSA

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,976 posts
  • 3DO - Try It!

Posted Sun May 27, 2012 12:54 AM

Haha, I forgot about Demolition. While it wasn't a very good game, I found it was less "broken" than Vigilante 8. I still don't get get that game. Even the XBLA version is still broken in my eyes.

And yeah, the 2600 game ESB was definitely kinda lame. I enjoyed the fact it was about AT-ATs on Hoth with snowspeeders. Outside that, meh.

And yeah, I remember being VERY impressed by Republic Commando back then. It felt so "next gen" and was very ahead of it's time for a FPS back then.

So yeah, I think all in all it's one of those franchises that really is a coin flip. There are some of my favorite games ever made that bear the name "Star Wars" in the title. There are also some of the worst games available to play with that title as well.

As much as I'd like, I don't think it will be vehicle based. For some reason space shooters are terribly UNpopular right now. No one makes them anymore. And if you're going to have a game about Star Wars vehicles, most will be based in space.

I'd also like a Battlefront type of game, and that genre type is still popular. However, I know there hasn't been any progress on the Battlefront name in the news, and with the clue it's a new franchises it looks like it's still a far off dream.

In all honestly, I think it's going to be one of two things. Either a Kinect type game like SW Kinect that will appeal to a wide demographic (but certainly a more shallow experience), or another Unleashed type of game where they want to make a series of another "official" side story.

I really hope they don't do either, as the Kinect game fills it's niche just fine, and the Unleashed story line (none the less gameplay) was embarrassing and ruined what power structure of other characters in the SW universe.

What I wouldn't mind though would be a game that was based on the Shadows of the Empire story. It's something that was supposed to have it's own movie, and even had it's own action figures in preparation for said movie, but then fizzled out and never became anything but the book it started as. I'd love to see a series that shows a visual representation of the novel. It would be a lot of fun if done right, and it would better fit into the SW universe than Unleashed did.

Edited by DaytonaUSA, Sun May 27, 2012 12:55 AM.

#10 MagitekAngel OFFLINE  

MagitekAngel

River Patroller

• 2,152 posts

Posted Sun May 27, 2012 10:14 AM

I completely forgot about Shadows of the Empire. From what I understand, the sub-franchise was never intended to lead to a movie at all - but it was specifically made to appear so. The true point behind the novel, comics, video game, toys, and promotion was to test the commercial viability of a new Star Wars film. Lucas dangled the lure, and the consumers bit. Three years later the first episode of the prequel trilogy opened and made boatloads of money regardless of critical reception.

I played and eventually have come to own the N64 version, but I've also put some time into the PC version and it's a much better game, what with the playable framerate and controls.

This game absolutely should be mediocre through and through - and in fact it is - but it keeps things interesting by switching up the gameplay. The opening Hoth level that everyone agrees kicks ass gave us Rogue Squadron. Then you get a third person ground action level, and it's pretty bland, but it doesn't outstay its welcome. The next level is a pretty fun rail shooter where you blast Ties. After that is another ground level, but this one's on a train, so it doesn't feel like a rehash, even if you have to fight with the controls a bit what with the moving platforms and all.

Five levels in, the game drops its worst level on you: Gall Spaceport. It's so long the game divides it into two chunks. It's just big, empty canyons, and you can't even see those because they're so big and the draw distance is so short. The jetpack sucks, too. Kicking Boba Fett's ass is a clumsy, but amusing reward for putting up with all the bullshit up until that point.

After that slog, the game gives you a break and throws you on a swoop for a street-chase and a run through Beggar's Canyon. Sure, the swoop is nearly impossible to steer, but in-universe they are supposed to be, and it's fun zipping through alleys at breakneck speed. After that, three more ground levels, each different enough I suppose. First you infiltrate an imperial cruiser, and that one's actually pretty fun. Then you go through some sewers, and a dim, dark, boring palace. Both of those levels suck pretty bad.

But then things end on a high note. The game puts you back in a ship, this time with full control, and you get to blow up a space station. Putting a health bar on the invincible Star Destroyer to distract you was a sick joke. Really, I think it's hilarious.

So yeah, there you have it, Shadows of the Empire. To this day I believe the game is greater than the sum of its mediocre parts.

Edited by MagitekAngel, Sun May 27, 2012 10:18 AM.

#11 King_Salamon OFFLINE  

King_Salamon

River Patroller

• 2,099 posts

Posted Sun May 27, 2012 11:47 AM

That's right SOTE was created as a multimedia project. The book focused on the rebels and empire. The game had a focus on the new character Dash Rendar. And the comics had the focus on the Bounty Hunters. They even had a soundtrack but a movie was not planned for this project.

SOTE was my reason for getting an N64... And eventually I picked up the high res pc version. I remember getting close to beating the game but ended up using a cheat code to pass one of the later levels.

#12 raskar42 OFFLINE  

raskar42

River Patroller

• 2,968 posts

Posted Sun May 27, 2012 3:51 PM

I wish they would make a shadows movie, they could do it in cg and even get the original voices, both Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher do voice work and You don't need harrison ford because he's frozen for the whole story.

#13 DaytonaUSA OFFLINE  

DaytonaUSA

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,976 posts
  • 3DO - Try It!

Posted Sun May 27, 2012 10:13 PM

I wish they would make a shadows movie, they could do it in cg and even get the original voices, both Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher do voice work and You don't need harrison ford because he's frozen for the whole story.

He's practically frozen in real life. Seriously, he's become the most monotone, tired looking, and cranky actor in Hollywood.

#14 MagitekAngel OFFLINE  

MagitekAngel

River Patroller

• 2,152 posts

Posted Sun May 27, 2012 11:29 PM

Get off my plane!

#15 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,749 posts

Posted Sun May 27, 2012 11:44 PM

The Super Star Wars games: I can't beat any of them. But they kick ass.

:lol:

I think this pretty much sums up my thoughts on this series as well. Even with cheat codes, I don't think I have finished any of them. Well, I may have done the Empire Strikes Back, but I don't remember at this point (it was a long time ago last I played them seriously).

So yeah, there you have it, Shadows of the Empire. To this day I believe the game is greater than the sum of its mediocre parts.

I agree, but.. It was amazing at the time of release! Not much on the PlayStation or Saturn that could match it in gameplay at the time!

(wishes he could get his PC version to run on his virtual machine)

#16 DaytonaUSA OFFLINE  

DaytonaUSA

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,976 posts
  • 3DO - Try It!

Posted Mon May 28, 2012 12:01 AM

Get off my plane!

Give me back my family!

#17 BillyHW OFFLINE  

BillyHW

Stargunner

• 1,620 posts

Posted Mon May 28, 2012 7:22 AM

I finished Super Star Wars. :) Still own it I think.

#18 raskar42 OFFLINE  

raskar42

River Patroller

• 2,968 posts

Posted Thu May 31, 2012 10:30 PM

if a system dosen't have a star wars game - i don't want it.

#19 xg4bx OFFLINE  

xg4bx

River Patroller

• 2,794 posts
  • it stinks!

Posted Fri Jun 1, 2012 12:32 AM

Lucas Arts has just announced their new Star Wars title 1313 where you’ll play as a Bounty Hunter. While no specifics have been confirmed, such as which bounty hunters you’ll play, it will be a third person shooter.

May 31, 2012 – LucasArts, a Lucasfilm Ltd. company, announced today a new internally developed videogame franchise,

. The game will make its formal debut at the 2012 Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles June 5-7. As players take control of a lethal bounty hunter in a never-before-seen dark and mature world,Star Wars 1313 introduces an integrated development approach by bringing together great artists across the Lucasfilm organization, including LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, Lucasfilm Animation Ltd. and Skywalker Sound. A third person cinematic action adventure game,will bring to life the Coruscant underworld, the most dangerous place in the galaxy.

Named for Level 1313, a ruthless criminal underground deep below the surface of the planet of Coruscant, the game puts players in control of a deadly bounty hunter as he uses an arsenal of exotic weaponry to hunt down his marks and uncover the truth surrounding a criminal conspiracy. Star Wars 1313 emphasizes epic set pieces and fast-paced combat with a hero who uses human skills and gadgets, rather than supernatural Force powers, to make his way through this dangerous world.

http://genuinegamers...star-wars-1313/

gears of star war(s)? :P

let me break it down. dark&mature=we want the kiddos to buy it. expect blood and cursing.

epic set pieces=minimal replay value.these take precedence over gameplay.

i dont know the 1st thing about the game but i'm already turned off.

Edited by xg4bx, Fri Jun 1, 2012 12:36 AM.

#20 DaytonaUSA OFFLINE  

DaytonaUSA

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,976 posts
  • 3DO - Try It!

Posted Fri Jun 1, 2012 1:20 AM

I actually think that sounds good. Typically, SW games that don't focus on jedi are the best ones, and this seems to be in the original trilogy era which is a HUGE positive for me. There's supposedly a trailer out there, but I haven't seen it. Only this pic, which shows an original trilogy shuttle:

Posted Image

#21 Shannon OFFLINE  

Shannon

Born To Be Insane

• 7,502 posts
  • Pac-man Fever

Posted Fri Jun 1, 2012 1:25 AM

I dunno... :s While reading this thread I was thinking of the horror that was "Bounty Hunter" that came out for the gamecube (and I guess the Xbox and PS2). Boy talk about a cool concept with rfustrating gameplay control. The game had some cool elements but all the frustrating aspects made it a painful experience. I really wonder if the gamecube version was even playtested. That thing had more bugs.... And I'm talking the game stopping type of bugs that keep you from being able to continue a level. :lol:

Edited by Shannon, Fri Jun 1, 2012 1:25 AM.

#22 DaytonaUSA OFFLINE  

DaytonaUSA

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,976 posts
  • 3DO - Try It!

Posted Fri Jun 1, 2012 1:31 AM

I dunno... :s While reading this thread I was thinking of the horror that was "Bounty Hunter" that came out for the gamecube (and I guess the Xbox and PS2). Boy talk about a cool concept with rfustrating gameplay control. The game had some cool elements but all the frustrating aspects made it a painful experience. I really wonder if the gamecube version was even playtested. That thing had more bugs.... And I'm talking the game stopping type of bugs that keep you from being able to continue a level. :lol:

I agree, but hopefully they learned from that. I donno, it's one of those things where if a concept looks good, I can't help but get excited about star wars games. They tend to either be really good or downright terrible, and I'm sure I'll hear which way it leans before the game's release.

I'm just happy Lucas seems to remember the original trilogy exists. Is a third person action game my first choice? No. But at least it's in the right era. It's a good start at least. Either way, we'll learn more soon at E3.

#23 DaytonaUSA OFFLINE  

DaytonaUSA

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,976 posts
  • 3DO - Try It!

Posted Fri Jun 1, 2012 1:35 AM

If you want to be pissed off at Lucasarts though, if you've been listening to the old members of Free Radical, the game was nearly finished, just about to go into Beta and bug testing. The reason why it was canceled was because there was a lack of money to market the game at Free Radical, not that they really needed to market a huge game like BF3.

Supposedly, Lucasarts was slimmed down to concentrate on less crap and "better games" (at least according to Lucasfilm). We'll see. Like I said, I do have some high hopes for 1313. But then again, if it ends up like Unleashed 2 I won't be too surprised.

#24 xg4bx OFFLINE  

xg4bx

River Patroller

• 2,794 posts
  • it stinks!

Posted Fri Jun 1, 2012 2:59 AM

If you want to be pissed off at Lucasarts though, if you've been listening to the old members of Free Radical, the game was nearly finished, just about to go into Beta and bug testing. The reason why it was canceled was because there was a lack of money to market the game at Free Radical, not that they really needed to market a huge game like BF3.

Supposedly, Lucasarts was slimmed down to concentrate on less crap and "better games" (at least according to Lucasfilm). We'll see. Like I said, I do have some high hopes for 1313. But then again, if it ends up like Unleashed 2 I won't be too surprised.

force unleashed 2 was one of the worst games i've played this gen. not only was it mind bogglingly short, there was just literally nothing there. it was like a compilation of rejected missions from the first one. i remember playing it thinking 'when the hell does the fun start?'

#25 raskar42 OFFLINE  

raskar42

River Patroller

• 2,968 posts

Posted Fri Jun 1, 2012 7:49 PM

please be a bounty hunting ewok.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users