IGNORED

Finally Got Around to Making One of These...

KevinMos3

I finally got around to making one of these. The cord is from a MadCatz Genesis controller which has a nice length -- longer than the stock Sega controllers and way longer than the stock 7800 controllers. I had planned to just remove the old Select and Start buttons, but decided to make them 7800 buttons 1 and 2 instead. Now I just have to decide on a label design. I'm thinking of simply all black with the buttons labeled and a rainbow stripe at the top with an Atari logo somewhere near the center.

post-9364-0-99677000-1338167337_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some ideas for an overlay sticker. The first version is mostly what I originally had in mind. After playing with it a bit, I kinda like the brushed with black surrounding the center buttons, but I still think I prefer the black (#1) version.

Thoughts?

1. post-9364-0-52544400-1339614312_thumb.jpg

2. post-9364-0-05650300-1339614325_thumb.jpg

3. post-9364-0-58343700-1339614340_thumb.jpg

4. post-9364-0-97308100-1339614353_thumb.jpg

If anyone is interested in making their own, I can upload the full res psd template for the actual sticker somewhere.

Here are some more simple designs. I was looking at the 2600 Jr and 5200 and thought a small rainbow might be nice, hence #6.

Also, when I made the first template, my select & start buttons (now buttons I & II) were gray instead of black like they should be. That's corrected now.

5. post-9364-0-91705900-1339620741_thumb.jpg

6. post-9364-0-88313400-1339620755_thumb.jpg

Do the start and select buttons work? If so how? Never seen before.

He said they work as alternate action buttons... How? Wired them that way.

Yep, as Rex said. Although I do plan to use a 15-pin vga cable to mod one of these for pause and select. I may get to it in August when I return from the summer. I'll put a 15-pin port in my 7800 (probably to the right of the 2nd player port). PacMan Plus did something like this a while back.

#1 looks the best to me. I would like to have the artwork to print off myself if that is ok.

It may push me to actually mod my nes pad that I bought 4 years ago to do this mod :sleep:

Sure thing! It's too large for me to send over dialup, so if you pm me your email, I'll send it your way next time I go to the library. Same goes for anyone else who's interested. :)

I need to check with Kinkos or some other print place, but I'm thinking of either having it printed on sicker paper or just plain paper and then have it laminated so the print won't rub off. If laminating sticker paper, I would probably just be able to cut it out, peel and stick. If I use plain paper, maybe I could have them either laminate a single side, or run 2 sheets through at once, so only one side of the print is laminated. Then I could glue it to the controller. I'll have to find out which way would be best.

Edited by KevinMos3

Too bad you couldn't use a rounded SNES or Genesis controller.

Actually, I made an adapter for Genesis controllers years ago. I uploaded a pic of it somewhere, but can't seem to find it, so here's another one. It's in a nice project box approx 2"x3"x1.2" from Radio Shack. My favorite controller to use with it is a 3rd party SG Propad. It has a great D-pad and turbo-fire. The outer shell is clear and the inside used to be gray I think but I painted it black. But, I always liked the NES controller too, so I finally decided to convert one.

post-9364-0-77368900-1339628000_thumb.jpg

... but I painted it black.

Thanks for putting that song in my head :)

YW, I don't think I've ever heard that song.

BTW, I like #7... May I request a larger image?

Certainly. Would you like it in ready-to-print form without the mock buttons, or the entire psd file?

... but I painted it black.

Thanks for putting that song in my head :)

YW, I don't think I've ever heard that song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6d8eKvegLI :)

BTW, I like #7... May I request a larger image?

Certainly. Would you like it in ready-to-print form without the mock buttons, or the entire psd file?

I don't have a way of opening a PSD file :( Would a large JPG be ok?

Thanks,

Bob

I was wondering, can these controllers work with the 2600 two button hacked games?

Unfortunately, no; not as-is. The 2-button hacks are for Genesis controllers which are not the same as the 2nd button of a 7800 controller. If the 2nd button of a Genesis controller worked for Atari 7800 games, there would be no need of modifying a Sega controller or making an adapter.

However, people "could" hack the games to be compatible with the 2nd button of a 7800 controller instead. The reason they haven't been (as far as I know) is because Genesis controllers are much more popular & abundant than 7800 controllers. Maybe we should request that when someone make a 2-button hack, they make a 7800 controller version as well. edit: I think this was mentioned before and there may have been more reasons behind not doing it. I don't remember.

Please don't be offended, how old are you?

I like #5.

No offense taken. I was born the same year as my heavy sixer. ;) (Although, most people think I'm about 24). Birthday coming up in a couple weeks actually. Believe it or not, I don't think I ever heard ANY Rolling Stones music growing up. Even now, all I can think of from them is Start Me Up, which I didn't hear until I was a teen... oh, and maybe Suzie Q?

Edited by KevinMos3

However, people "could" hack the games to be compatible with the 2nd button of a 7800 controller instead. The reason they haven't been (as far as I know) is because Genesis controllers are much more popular & abundant than 7800 controllers. Maybe we should request that when someone make a 2-button hack, they make a 7800 controller version as well. edit: I think this was mentioned before and there may have been more reasons behind not doing it. I don't remember.

The 7800 controller is wired so that both buttons are normally seen by the console as the standard 2600 single fire button. In order to distinguish between the two, one of the pins on the controller port inside the console must be be pulled high. The 2600 doesn't have the circuitry to accomplish that and the 7800 is designed so that it can be enabled only in 7800 mode.

So no 2600 game can use the two independent buttons of a 7800 controller, no matter which console the game is running on.

• Like 1

Since #5 was the most popular and since it turned out to be such a small file size, here it is in 600dpi which should make any good printer happy. :)

Here is #7 as well for Bob.

5. post-9364-0-85217500-1339690396_thumb.png

7. post-9364-0-66461500-1339690428_thumb.png

These are all turning out to be quite manageable for upload. With the mockup buttons removed, even with the entire label using the brushed aluminum texture, they turn out to be just over 100Kb. So, I may upload other variations here as well. Those who wanted the psd file will still receive it. It's over 11MB as of right now.