IGNORED

incognito boards run - gauge of intrest

candle

54 members have voted

1. 1. would you buy this board for $90?

• yes, one would do
    • two would be nice

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I almost hope this doesnt work for a 400, I'd have to switch my vote for 2... heck, maybe 3 - one spare...

The Icognito will definitely not work for the 400 because it doesn't have a personality board, the OS ROMs plug into the main board.

Any similar upgrade for the 400 would need to use the single RAM board slot, with additional cables to the OS ROM sockets.

There is also the issue that the RAM board on the 400 is within the shield without an access panel, so changing a CF card would be a major undertaking unless a slot was made in the shield or some type of extension cable/socket was used. A slot through the shield under the cartridge door and behind the cartridge area, positioned so the card wouldn't interfere with cartridge insertion/removal would probably be the good option for such an upgrade.

in theory you can use any pbi compatible interface,

As we talked on irc... The MSC IDE is supposed to be a true PBI device. It even has jumpers to set the PBI ID# and one can connect multiple of those to the same A8. I must say I never used the interface since all I use is SCSI but it would be a nice solution to use SD cards when using an IDE<>SD adapter. No idea how it'll perform or if it runs at all with IDE<>SD adapters. Only one way to find that out.

but the one already there is fully blown pbi disk interface already, and it even reads ATR files directly from FAT32 partition

Too bad the SD cards I use on the Black Box can't be used with any other interface. These aren't FAT32 and neither is the MSC IDE. Well, you can't have it all.

So here are some basic take-rate stats:

• ~640 views
  • 37 boards taken (seems critical mass is already there)
  • If we assume a linear (and proportional) ratio, we are talking about a ~5.785% of Take-to-View rate.

That means that, by the time this thread hits 3,000 (which IT WILL), you will have approx. 150-180 boards on-queue.

And if you actually look at the TOTAL views of the main thread (where Incognito is discussed), the actual # views is FAR, FAR larger (which indicates the captive audience for this product may be large enough to go way, way beyond 3,000 view, provided that ENOUGH life-time is given to this or the final pre-order thread).

All-in-all, I would recommend upgrading this thread (effective immediately) to Pre-Order-level (with reasonable / realistic production time-frames), and let it live as long as possible (maybe a year, and 50-units per production batch).

Most likely, this board should be able to reach the stratosphere, where it actually belongs.

My 0.02c

Candle: You must build this. If you build it, they will come. You will be Slashdotted and you will go down in Atari history if you make this. You will make Atari's original flagship computer (800) king of the hill after all the dust has settled, 30-something years later..... King of the hill ass-kicker Atari8 computer that it was originally intended to be. That will give you a nice place in history, in my opinion. I think you should make it!!!! Be famous!

Edited by wood_jl

Looks like we;ve topped out at about 50. Not too bad. Once boards are made there would be a lot of folks coming in late asking if they can get one too.

I hope this board sees the light of day. I should be selling off all my XL computer stuff this weekend.

Sweet, send all your XL Stuff my way :D

• 1 month later...