IGNORED

Is Enduro the Best First-Person Racing Game?

Tin_Lunchbox

And since there aren't disembodied heads floating up in the air behind vehicles while controlling them by remote control, only one example here is 1st person.

But what if a horse is having sex with a giraffe in the back seat? And what about 'roadkill' that is stuck to one of the tires? If the little creature isn't quite dead yet, what view is he seeing?

I can't believe someone hasn't suggested this yet, but isn't the "car" in Night Driver supposed to be the front end of a car, like the one in the coin-op version?

Nah, we covered that way early on. You may have missed it because you were viewing the thread through third person instead of modified first...

• Like 2

RT,

Last I checked racking games with switchable views have the car and/or instruments very close for 1st person; the 3rd person views are futher away from a higher angle.

Both of your racing shots showed instruments on the lower 3rd of the screen, one had a car superimosed in the middle the other had the outline of a hood. There were no other differences in perspectives, the horizon line was the same because the camera angle was the same.

Have you ever actually played a racing game that gives the choice of these two views?

If so, you've not once ever noticed that when in a first-person "cockpit" view, your field of vision swings left and right when your car fishtails, whereas you get a more steady straight-ahead view of the oncoming road in third-person "chase" view? This is a very significant difference--they are not the same perspective at all.

Actually, I don't expect you to be very well equipped to answer this question because you've demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that you don't know what the terms mean. Never mind, I'll just stick with the assumption that you've never played a racing game.

Edited by Cynicaster

RT,

Last I checked racking games with switchable views have the car and/or instruments very close for 1st person; the 3rd person views are futher away from a higher angle.

Both of your racing shots showed instruments on the lower 3rd of the screen, one had a car superimosed in the middle the other had the outline of a hood. There were no other differences in perspectives, the horizon line was the same because the camera angle was the same.

Have you ever actually played a racing game that gives the choice of these two views?

If so, you've not once ever noticed that when in a first-person "cockpit" view, your field of vision swings left and right when your car fishtails, whereas you get a more steady straight-ahead view of the oncoming road in third-person "chase" view? This is a very significant difference--they are not the same perspective at all.

Actually, I don't expect you to be very well equipped to answer this question because you've demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that you don't know what the terms mean. Never mind, I'll just stick with the assumption that you've never played a racing game.

Cynicaster,

I used to write games in first and third person perspective for a living; why is it you need to throw personal insults to support yours?

I played a game of SSX the other week; the close-up view is so close up it doesn't qualify as third person, indeed the camera moves as you described. Enduro has that same feel; IMO the car is too close to call it 3rd person.

I'm not sure who's more idiotic here...

The people who can't understand the differences between perespectives, or the people who are so angry that some people don't understand persepectives...

But I will admit, when I saw this thread my first thought was "wtf...Enduro isn't a first person racer, so how can it be the best..."

EDIT: You know what fuck it, I'll join the bandwagon on ragging on people who can't tell the difference.

My theory is, the people who don't understand persepctives are the same people who play modern games that tell them every step of the way what button to push when with a map that has huge highlights telling where to go next and when they get there the screen tells them what exactly do to. And if the box for RE5 (or whatever the kids play these days) claims its a first person game than it MUST be, there's no way the people would lie about their product just to make it sound cooler.

The same type of people that wouldn't rag on ET so much if the VCS could display a text bar on the screen saying, "There is a Phone piece two screens over and it's in the hole closest to the bottom right of the screen, once you have the piece hold Red Fire Button to ascend out of the whole then continue holding the button until ET is clear of the hole and his neck retracts, etc, etc....Congratulations, you have all pieces of the phone now go to screen 'X' stand just above the hole in the middle of the screen, press Red Fire button to summon spaceship, return to forest and wait for ship to come.

DOUBLE EDIT: The irony is, ET DID have that (almost), the status bar up on top of the screen. It couyld tell you what hole (if any) had the phone piece, where to stand to call the ship and where to stand when the ship came.

Edited by Torr

Nobody's changing anybody's mind; drop it.

Lol I seriously can't believe that we're still arguing. Strike that...I can't believe that it was ever a discussion. Everyone knows that if you aren't seeing things from the eye's of the character that it's third person. It's not even up for discussion yet here we are.

All that said, Ms. Pac-Man is the best first person dot eating maze game on the 2600. Hands down.

Edited by Lord Helmet

I agree with Mr. SQL, and I don't think the sarcastic and belittling and snide comments help the other side be more convincing, except to itself.

It's an absurdity to claim that the perspective in Enduro is more like Donkey Kong or Combat or Pitfall than it is like Star Raiders or Tunnel Runner or Skeleton Plus. Yet that is what they so aggressively tell us to accept.

To the person who acknowledged the term "modified first-person gets the point across but [he doesn't] like it," what are you trying to be diplomatic at my expense?

Nobody's changing anybody's mind; drop it.

Lol I seriously can't believe that we're still arguing. Strike that...I can't believe that it was ever a discussion. Everyone knows that if you aren't seeing things from the eye's of the character that it's third person. It's not even up for discussion yet here we are.

All that said, Ms. Pac-Man is the best first person dot eating maze game on the 2600. Hands down.

Have you ever played Crash Bandicoot? The perspective is dead nuts with what it would be through the character’s eyes, making it the premiere chase-view first person experience on the PS1.

It's an absurdity to claim that the perspective in Enduro is more like Donkey Kong or Combat or Pitfall than it is like Star Raiders or Tunnel Runner or Skeleton Plus. Yet that is what they so aggressively tell us to accept.

For what must be the 50th time in this thread, it doesn't matter what perspective it is "more like"--that is absolutely irrelevant. "First person" and "third person" are identifiers that communicate whether the view is "through the eyes of the player" or otherwise. It really is that simple, despite the efforts of those hell-bent on muddying the waters.

Edited by Cynicaster

To the person who acknowledged the term "modified first-person gets the point across but [he doesn't] like it," what are you trying to be diplomatic at my expense?

I'm not trying to be diplomatic at your expense, I'm just giving my opinion while acknowledging everyone else's. The problem with diplomacy is that in trying not to offend anybody, you sometimes end up offending everybody. But still I try.

Strictly speaking, it's not first person, modified or otherwise, so I personally don't like a phrase that claims it is first person. I don't have anything better to offer, but then neither does anybody on the other side of the debate, it seems. Maybe the best we can do is agree to disagree, and drop the snark.

I can't believe someone hasn't suggested this yet, but isn't the "car" in Night Driver supposed to be the front end of a car, like the one in the coin-op version?

Actually, it was suggested on page 1, which prompted me to do this on page 3: ;)

And... here's an arcade-like over the hood view hack to clear up any confusion.

post-9364-0-41258900-1338843255_thumb.png

Oh wait... it still doesn't look like a car hood. lol

Maybe this one?

post-9364-0-92326400-1338843517_thumb.png

nope.

As for the talk of Enduro having infinite acceleration... it doesn't. (I don't feel like hunting up those posts to quote, but they're somewhere in this thread). My cousin and I used to compete over who could top it out the longest. I've since wondered how I had such great reflexes as a kid.

Funny that something so simple could be so misunderstood. Amazing.

When it comes to Night Driver on the Atari 2600, the confusion is understandable. If we are seeing a hood ornament, it should say that in the manual so people won't think it's a horribly primitive drawing of a car by a programmer who was either lazy or running out of time.

Funny that something so simple could be so misunderstood. Amazing.

When it comes to Night Driver on the Atari 2600, the confusion is understandable. If we are seeing a hood ornament, it should say that in the manual so people won't think it's a horribly primitive drawing of a car by a programmer who was either lazy or running out of time.

I always thought it was the front end of one of those '70s Street Racer/Indy 500-style race cars (a fuselage with two sets of big blocks sticking out of the sides at either end). It's pretty hard to crash only the hood ornament into something.

FujiSkunk said "You could argue you're looking at a dashboard and hood" while I'm saying it looks like the front end of a car (no dashboard). Similar, but not the same. :)

I agree with BassGuitari in that it looks like the front end of an Indy car.

KevinMos3 I like the second hack but (imo) I would leave out the black "headlights" and extend the front end out a little more. I think with a little tweaking that would be a fine edition to your graphics hack thread. :thumbsup:

It's not the front end of an open wheel racecar since you can clearly see that the entire vehicle is pictured.

http://www.atariage....ghtDriver_1.png

And it's certainly not a hood ornament if anyone is really serious about thinking that. Otherwise you'd be coming into contact with the pylons alongside the road well before your hood ornament ever got anywhere near it.

Yet you don't.

Edited by Atariboy

It's not the front end of an open wheel racecar since you can clearly see that the entire vehicle is pictured.

http://www.atariage....ghtDriver_1.png

Who's to say we're supposed to be driving the same car as those minivan-looking things?

And it's certainly not a hood ornament if anyone is really serious about thinking that. Otherwise you'd be coming into contact with the pylons alongside the road well before your hood ornament ever got anywhere near it.

Yet you don't.

This part I agree with.