Photo

Is Enduro the Best First-Person Racing Game?

138 replies to this topic

#126 KevinMos3 OFFLINE  

KevinMos3

Stargunner

• 1,200 posts
  • Founder of the Timothy Dalton as Bond fan club

Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012 9:16 PM

I agree with BassGuitari in that it looks like the front end of an Indy car.

Hmm, I'll have to go with that impression. I like it. Much better than a wheelchair.

KevinMos3 I like the second hack but (imo) I would leave out the black "headlights" and extend the front end out a little more. I think with a little tweaking that would be a fine edition to your graphics hack thread. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Unfortunately, I can't extend the front any more, but I can remove the headlights. I also made the car orange like the arcade overlay, but that makes it disappear after moving forward a bit. I'd have to look into it more, but I'm not too motivated to do so. lol ;)

#127 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 5,223 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:48 AM

It's not the front end of an open wheel racecar since you can clearly see that the entire vehicle is pictured.

http://www.atariage....ghtDriver_1.png

Who's to say we're supposed to be driving the same car as those minivan-looking things?

I wasn't suggesting that.

What I'm saying is that we're not just seeing the front end of a vehicle here since it clearly ends before the bottom of the screen. So clearly what you see is the entire vehicle, not just the front end of one (Some were speculating that you were seeing the nose and front wheels of a wingless open wheel racer).

Edited by Atariboy, Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:49 AM.

#128 nofrills100 OFFLINE  

nofrills100

River Patroller

• 2,842 posts

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:53 AM

It's not the front end of an open wheel racecar since you can clearly see that the entire vehicle is pictured.

Who's to say we're supposed to be driving the same car as those minivan-looking things?

What I'm saying is that we're not just seeing the front end of a vehicle here since it clearly ends before the bottom of the screen. So clearly what you see is the entire vehicle, not just the front end of one (Some were speculating that you were seeing the nose and front wheels of a wingless open wheel racer).

Is there not a black border around the whole screen - hence it looks like it ends before the bottom of the screen - but infact it is the front of an indy car IMO.

It's either the front end of something like this:
10_Car_SoCal_Vintage_Race_Car_Collection___1957_NOVI_Indy_Race_Car_Tribute_1.jpg

Or the view of a racer from behind like this:
Ferrari will race with new exhaust for Canadian GP.jpg

Edited by nofrills100, Sat Jun 9, 2012 4:19 AM.

#129 KevinMos3 OFFLINE  

KevinMos3

Stargunner

• 1,200 posts
  • Founder of the Timothy Dalton as Bond fan club

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012 8:54 AM

It's either the front end of something like this:
10_Car_SoCal_Vintage_Race_Car_Collection___1957_NOVI_Indy_Race_Car_Tribute_1.jpg

Or the view of a racer from behind like this:
Ferrari will race with new exhaust for Canadian GP.jpg

Thank you for those pictures! That helps my view of the game a lot. I never had a problem with the car until a couple years ago when a member here posted that his kid thought it was a wheelchair. Since then, I've had a hard time getting that image out of my head.

#130 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,484 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012 10:51 AM

10_Car_SoCal_Vintage_Race_Car_Collection___1957_NOVI_Indy_Race_Car_Tribute_1.jpg Ferrari will race with new exhaust for Canadian GP.jpg

That would explain why it's pitch-ass black in that game. No headlights!

#131 Rik OFFLINE  

Rik

River Patroller

• 4,319 posts

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012 4:54 PM

Is Enduro the best racing game? i assume you mean for the 2600?, then IMO, yes.Enduro is 3rd person as the car is visable on the screen.First person would have you looking out the windshield, right? Enduro is pretty damned good, like most of the games from Activision.To me it is the best racing game for the 2600, be it 1st or 3rd person.

#132 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 5,223 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012 5:21 PM

Is there not a black border around the whole screen - hence it looks like it ends before the bottom of the screen

There isn't a black border around the whole screen. I can get pylons to appear on the very edge of the screen.

#133 nofrills100 OFFLINE  

nofrills100

River Patroller

• 2,842 posts

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:30 AM

There isn't a black border around the whole screen. I can get pylons to appear on the very edge of the screen.

I haven't got the game nearby to test - but do the cars go right to the bottom of the screen when you pass them?

#134 Random Terrain ONLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 25,112 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:49 AM

I haven't got the game nearby to test - but do the cars go right to the bottom of the screen when you pass them?

They seem to disappear at the top edge of your wheelchair/spaceship/hood ornament/race car. They don't seem to go lower than that.

#135 toiletunes OFFLINE  

toiletunes

Stargunner

• 1,442 posts
  • Custom Status

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:25 PM

Nobody's changing anybody's mind; drop it.

Lol I seriously can't believe that we're still arguing. Strike that...I can't believe that it was ever a discussion. Everyone knows that if you aren't seeing things from the eye's of the character that it's third person. It's not even up for discussion yet here we are.

All that said, Ms. Pac-Man is the best first person dot eating maze game on the 2600. Hands down.

Alien and Cat Trax have dots. Ms. Pac-Man has wafers.

#136 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

River Patroller

• 2,971 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:36 PM

Nobody's changing anybody's mind; drop it.

Lol I seriously can't believe that we're still arguing. Strike that...I can't believe that it was ever a discussion. Everyone knows that if you aren't seeing things from the eye's of the character that it's third person. It's not even up for discussion yet here we are.

All that said, Ms. Pac-Man is the best first person dot eating maze game on the 2600. Hands down.

Alien has eggs. :P

#137 toiletunes OFFLINE  

toiletunes

Stargunner

• 1,442 posts
  • Custom Status

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:53 PM

The eggs are modified third dot perspective.

#138 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,484 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:28 PM

yer mom has wafers

#139 Tin_Lunchbox OFFLINE  

Tin_Lunchbox

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 234 posts

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:48 AM

Hilarious!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users