IGNORED

7800 ProSystem Emulation and DASM.

Hi, I'm dipping a toe into ASM programming with DASM.

I am using Notepad+ and kicking the output to DASM.

What would be the best way to "test" my code on the 7800 using ProSystem Emulation? In other words how is this done?

Also, do I have to tell DASM something special to have it compile for the 7800 (6502 processor) rather than some other system?

Thanks!

Hi, I'm dipping a toe into ASM programming with DASM.

I am using Notepad+ and kicking the output to DASM.

What would be the best way to "test" my code on the 7800 using ProSystem Emulation? In other words how is this done?

Also, do I have to tell DASM something special to have it compile for the 7800 (6502 processor) rather than some other system?

Thanks!

The 7800 uses a 6502C for the processor which for all intents and purposes is a 6502 to the programmer. The only difference between the two that I'm aware of is the added HALT line, but that's controlled by the MARIA chip to freeze the 6502C temporarily. So basically tell it to complie for the 6502 processor, although there is a few other issues like reserving space for later encryption (digital signing or whatever it's called) at the end of the rom. There should be documentation on that around here somewhere in the forums, or someone else will be able to link it for you. The encryption isn't necessary for testing on the emulator itself, but you'll need it for it to run on real hardware. The program that can do that should be floating around as well.

Wow, I did not know about that requirement for the 7800 for encryption... interesting....

Also for the ProSystem emulator, I believe it is looking for a file with the extension .78a (or something like that), how to I get my DASM output to that format, or is it a simple matter of renaming the file with this extension?

Thanks!

Hey Johnny:

Here is a sample Compile Batch (zipped, so I can attach it) that I use so you can see how it does it (I am assuming you are using Windows?)

Take a look at it and you can figure out what happens. I've also included the requisite programs.

Please note - you HAVE to use this o a 32-bit O/S as '78hdr.exe' will not run in a 64-bit O/S.

compile.zip

Hey Johnny:

Here is a sample Compile Batch (zipped, so I can attach it) that I use so you can see how it does it (I am assuming you are using Windows?)

Take a look at it and you can figure out what happens. I've also included the requisite programs.

Please note - you HAVE to use this o a 32-bit O/S as '78hdr.exe' will not run in a 64-bit O/S.

What does 78hdr.exe output? That should be easy to replace.

-Jeff

Wow, I did not know about that requirement for the 7800 for encryption... interesting....

Also for the ProSystem emulator, I believe it is looking for a file with the extension .78a (or something like that), how to I get my DASM output to that format, or is it a simple matter of renaming the file with this extension?

Thanks!

A .A78 file is a binary cart image with a special 128 byte header added to it that described the cartridge format. Below is the original specification for the header, although I believe some people have extended it since this version. You can setup some data decelerations at the start of your source file to create the header, or use a tool like 78hdr to add it afterwards. As for the 'encryption', it is necessary for the game to run on an emulator. It's not really encryption, but instead a digital signature attached to the cartridge data which is validated by a routing in the 7800's bios at startup. Without the encryption key the Atari logo will just keep cycling at startup.

To work with this emulator ROM images must have this 128 byte cart header at

the start of the raw data. This header allows the emulator to know the features

of the cart thus preventing you from having to use a bunch of command line

options.

0 Header version - 1 byte

1..16 "ATARI7800 " - 16 bytes

17..48 Cart title - 32 bytes

49..52 data length - 4 bytes

53..54 cart type - 2 bytes

bit 0 - Pokey cart

bit 1 - Supercart bank switched

bit 2 - Supercart RAM

55 controller 1 type - 1 byte

56 controller 2 type - 1 byte

0 = None

1 = Joystick

2 = Light Gun

100..127 "ACTUAL CART DATA STARTS HERE" - 28 bytes

Here's an example of how to have DASM generate an .a78 file automagically:

SEG     ROM
HEADER  ORG     ROMTOP-128
       DC.B    1  ; Header version
       DC.B    "ATARI7800"
       DS      7,32
       DC.B    "Cart title"
       DS      HEADER+49-.,0
       DC.B    $00,$00,256->ROMTOP,$00  ; data length
       DC.B    $00,$00  ; cart type
       DC.B    1  ; controller 1 type
       DC.B    1  ; controller 2 type
       DC.B    0  ; NTSC / PAL
       ORG     HEADER+100
       DC.B    "ACTUAL CART DATA STARTS HERE"
ROMTOP  ORG     $x000

; code & data here

ORG     $FF80
       DS      120,0   ; 960 bit Rabin Digital Signature
       DC.W    ROMTOP + $07FF
NMI     DC.W    DLLNMI ; DLI interrupt handled
RESET   DC.W    START   ; execution start
IRQ     DC.W    IRQRTI ; IRQ can be triggered by the cart, point to an RTI instruction

There may be some updates, but this will give you the basics.